Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Dont think he scored too many.

Can only recall one century back for either Chingford or Fives and Heronians.
  • It's just a shame that Canters doesn't qualify - we can't have someone with such strong Palace connections turning out for us. It would just Surrey sully the whole experience.

Rude!
  • Very sad to see that RACS have had to withdraw both their sides from the Kent Regional League. Not sure what's happened there but I suspect that it's something to do with the same individuals who have done everything for so long not being prepared to do so and the Club not having a colt system in place.

RACS used to be one of the top sides in the South Thames League with Andy Tutt probably the best bowler ever to grace that League in their ranks. Tutty used to bowl 25 overs from one end for RACS in the days when rules permitted that and invariably never went for more than a couple an over.

He is still playing for and captaining Hartley in the Kent Premier League at nigh on 50 - his figures on Saturday were 10-0-29-0. Not bad considering Lordswood managed 298 off their 50.

Absolutely gutted to hear of the decline of RACS - played there for more than ten years, before moving abroad.

Thinking back to my time there, we used to get out five teams on a Saturday, and three very strong teams on a Sunday, as well as having regular Colts cricket on a Friday night.

Tutty was indeed a fine cricketer, but by no means the only one in the First XI, whom I seem to remember going unbeaten for a ridiculously long time.

Moving to Metrogas was a big dissapointment for the club, as it meant that we lost one of our sqaures, which of course had the knock-on effect of the lower teams being forced to play all over the place (even down at Catford Cyphers ground).

This of course meant that over time the spirit and camaraderie at the club declined, but for the RACS to be unable to field a First XI is truly sad.
  • Very sad to see that RACS have had to withdraw both their sides from the Kent Regional League. Not sure what's happened there but I suspect that it's something to do with the same individuals who have done everything for so long not being prepared to do so and the Club not having a colt system in place.

RACS used to be one of the top sides in the South Thames League with Andy Tutt probably the best bowler ever to grace that League in their ranks. Tutty used to bowl 25 overs from one end for RACS in the days when rules permitted that and invariably never went for more than a couple an over.

He is still playing for and captaining Hartley in the Kent Premier League at nigh on 50 - his figures on Saturday were 10-0-29-0. Not bad considering Lordswood managed 298 off their 50.

Absolutely gutted to hear of the decline of RACS - played there for more than ten years, before moving abroad.

Thinking back to my time there, we used to get out five teams on a Saturday, and three very strong teams on a Sunday, as well as having regular Colts cricket on a Friday night.

Tutty was indeed a fine cricketer, but by no means the only one in the First XI, whom I seem to remember going unbeaten for a ridiculously long time.

Moving to Metrogas was a big dissapointment for the club, as it meant that we lost one of our sqaures, which of course had the knock-on effect of the lower teams being forced to play all over the place (even down at Catford Cyphers ground).

This of course meant that over time the spirit and camaraderie at the club declined, but for the RACS to be unable to field a First XI is truly sad.
    Played colts cricket at RACS and was a regular Sunday fixture in our calendar. It also staged a league winners v league XI fixture.
    Always found the back square produced the better tracks though the outfield in the front pitch was immaculate.
  • After last weeks game being called off as our oppo Statics couldn't raise a team it's out turn to struggle to get a team out this weekend against Crusaders who murdered us in our first game of the season..this ain't gonna be pretty.
  • After last weeks game being called off as our oppo Statics couldn't raise a team it's out turn to struggle to get a team out this weekend against Crusaders who murdered us in our first game of the season..this ain't gonna be pretty.

Enjoying reading this thread but sad to see that clubs are struggling to put sides out, which unfortunately shows how the game is really struggling at grassroots level. I played for Erith CC from 1992-2005 but they folded a good few years ago. I know the ECB are putting some effort into grassroots junior cricket with this new programme but they urgently need to do something to try and stop club cricket dying out.
  • Is it because the younger players don't get a game because the 25 year old stalwart still picks himself for the first XI ?

Enjoying reading this thread but sad to see that clubs are struggling to put sides out, which unfortunately shows how the game is really struggling at grassroots level. I played for Erith CC from 1992-2005 but they folded a good few years ago. I know the ECB are putting some effort into grassroots junior cricket with this new programme but they urgently need to do something to try and stop club cricket dying out.
    If they aren't before your time, you might know a couple of brothers I used to play both cricket and football with namely Kevin and Des Sussex.

• Like a previous post I enjoy reading about local club cricket, sadly my old village side(Halstead, near Sevenoaks), who I stopped playing for 3 years ago, are really struggling, gone from 2 Saturday side, plus a Sunday and occasional Midweek side and junior sides, are now just down to 1 Saturday side playing in the Kent Village League, great facilities but all good juniors are being poached by the bigger clubs in the area. Agree with previous post that ECB should be looking are the crisis in Club/Village cricket.....
  • And this is the problem; my club has thriving junior section, and is this year about to launch a girls team, but if any of them (boys or girls) turn out to be any good, you just know that they will be lured away by the bigger clubs that surround us (many of whom only dream about having such a good junior section!)....
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

Is it because the younger players don't get a game because the 25 year old stalwart still picks himself for the first XI ?

this shouldn't have had the word OLD in it.

Should have been 25 year stalwart.

• Pedro45 said:

And this is the problem; my club has thriving junior section, and is this year about to launch a girls team, but if any of them (boys or girls) turn out to be any good, you just know that they will be lured away by the bigger clubs that surround us (many of whom only dream about having such a good junior section!)....

whilst its difficult to swallow i came to the conclusion that developmental cricket /colts cricket and league cricket are different things .I dont mind younger cricketers moving up the system to bigger sides if their talent merits ..good luck to them if they do succeed ,just think its important they are made welcome if they do want to return at some time .A lot of colts just simply grow out of cricket...studies/girlfriends /something they like better comes along ..its just a mistake to assume that they all progress into adult cricket at any level

the biggest problem at grass roots level isnt money its the lack of people with the desire to give of their time altruistically for the good of the game be it a youth coach/club skipper /committee member /tea lady etc
  • I think you all raise some very good points. I'll say for me the biggest issue is committing the time. Joining a club takes up at least one day of your weekend every weekend for the whole summer. Now I love cricket (although I'm pretty shit at playing it) but the fact is I have better things to do with my weekends throughout the summer. Girlfriend family and other commitments mean I'm available for less than half the weekends. So I find it preferable to know people at a couple of local clubs and fill in when they're short play a decent number of games at a low level throughout the summer and still have my life. There's plenty of people a similar age to me doing the same. The issue is if everyone does it the club's will just die.
  • A Club needs 3 vital ingredients to survive:

(1) Enough volunteers & coaches
    (2) A Colts section that is properly managed with enough in each age group
    (3) A viable route for colts to go on and play adult cricket

Bexley has always had a strong colts section - currently numbers 220 in total made up of 150 boys and girls from 9-18 plus this season we have another 70 aged 5-8 from the All Stars initiative. I'm not saying that colts haven't joined from other clubs in previous seasons but, as far as I am aware (and I should know as the Colts Secretary) we have not had a single colt join us from another club this year. And I know of two colts who have left to join another club.

My youngest son has only ever been at Bexley (from the age of 9). He is one of 7 current Kent age group players - he is in the U14s and there is one in both the U15s and U17s but, amazingly, we have no less than 4 in the U13s.

What is different this season is that we have enough senior players to put out 7 adult sides and on the odd occasion 8 teams on a Saturday. Two seasons ago we struggled to put out 5 sides at times - not because we didn't have the 13-18 year olds capable of playing adult cricket but because there weren't enough older players to manage the lower sides and what it takes to get a game on.

We have probably had a dozen new adults join us but, to put that in perspective, we have lost probably 8-10 so the net increase you can count on one hand.

As a result of a change of Chairman, the whole Club's attitude to cricket has also changed. It is being run more like a business but through the aid of volunteers. Parents are told that there is an expectation that they help with the volunteering in some shape or form and with the odd exception that is taken on board. We have a Colts Committee made up of secretaries, managers and coaches alone of 20 plus.

Friday night is the social night when 120 plus colts train and there is always a game on too. The money raised over the bar and through the sale of burgers etc substantially serves to fund the Club.

Unlike a lot of big clubs, teas aren't franchised out. They are made for the 3 home games by a volunteer force of 30 plus ladies at the Club and delivered to the other two grounds.

The Club has one of the most archaic Club houses going and there is only has one pitch at the ground. Facilities wise, there are bigger clubs locally but that isn't the attraction of playing there.

Having said all of this, Bexley's strength overdone could become their weakness. And by that I mean that there are so many promising colts that, at other clubs, would have a more prominent role to play. So a few might make that decision to switch to a club where more opportunities will present themselves - then, perhaps, the "perceived" lack of equilibrium between the smaller and bigger clubs might be rectified.

However, if you get the infrastructure right and enough volunteers then the Club will thrive.

• edited June 2017
    I always wondered with Bexley why they didn't try and buy some of the waste ground/meadow land that is next to the pitch and start the process of turning that into a second pitch. As a kid we used to a
    Occasionally use the cocconut mat on the field to the far side nearer the station but that wasn't big enough for adult cricket. Haven't been to the club in a few years so my picture is a little hazy.
  • I always wondered with Bexley why they didn't try and buy some of the waste ground/meadow land that is next to the pitch and start the process of turning that into a second pitch. As a kid we used to a
    Occasionally use the cocconut mat on the field to the far side nearer the station but that wasn't big enough for adult cricket. Haven't been to the club in a few years so my picture is a little hazy.

That land has already been bought by a developer with the possible idea that some of the land will be used for hockey/cricket and the rest for residential housing. Not sure if that will ever happen though due to planning regs.
  • I always wondered with Bexley why they didn't try and buy some of the waste ground/meadow land that is next to the pitch and start the process of turning that into a second pitch. As a kid we used to a

That land has already been bought by a developer with the possible idea that some of the land will be used for hockey/cricket and the rest for residential housing. Not sure if that will ever happen though due to planning regs.
    I see. Hopefully the cricket club gets some use of it!.

If they aren't before your time, you might know a couple of brothers I used to play both cricket and football with namely Kevin and Des Sussex.

Didn't play with Des but Kev was skipper when I first started - good cricketer and top bloke
  • A Club needs 3 vital ingredients to survive:

(1) Enough volunteers & coaches
    (2) A Colts section that is properly managed with enough in each age group
    (3) A viable route for colts to go on and play adult cricket

Bexley has always had a strong colts section - currently numbers 220 in total made up of 150 boys and girls from 9-18 plus this season we have another 70 aged 5-8 from the All Stars initiative. I'm not saying that colts haven't joined from other clubs in previous seasons but, as far as I am aware (and I should know as the Colts Secretary) we have not had a single colt join us from another club this year. And I know of two colts who have left to join another club.

My youngest son has only ever been at Bexley (from the age of 9). He is one of 7 current Kent age group players - he is in the U14s and there is one in both the U15s and U17s but, amazingly, we have no less than 4 in the U13s.

What is different this season is that we have enough senior players to put out 7 adult sides and on the odd occasion 8 teams on a Saturday. Two seasons ago we struggled to put out 5 sides at times - not because we didn't have the 13-18 year olds capable of playing adult cricket but because there weren't enough older players to manage the lower sides and what it takes to get a game on.

We have probably had a dozen new adults join us but, to put that in perspective, we have lost probably 8-10 so the net increase you can count on one hand.

As a result of a change of Chairman, the whole Club's attitude to cricket has also changed. It is being run more like a business but through the aid of volunteers. Parents are told that there is an expectation that they help with the volunteering in some shape or form and with the odd exception that is taken on board. We have a Colts Committee made up of secretaries, managers and coaches alone of 20 plus.

Friday night is the social night when 120 plus colts train and there is always a game on too. The money raised over the bar and through the sale of burgers etc substantially serves to fund the Club.

Unlike a lot of big clubs, teas aren't franchised out. They are made for the 3 home games by a volunteer force of 30 plus ladies at the Club and delivered to the other two grounds.

The Club has one of the most archaic Club houses going and there is only has one pitch at the ground. Facilities wise, there are bigger clubs locally but that isn't the attraction of playing there.

Having said all of this, Bexley's strength overdone could become their weakness. And by that I mean that there are so many promising colts that, at other clubs, would have a more prominent role to play. So a few might make that decision to switch to a club where more opportunities will present themselves - then, perhaps, the "perceived" lack of equilibrium between the smaller and bigger clubs might be rectified.

However, if you get the infrastructure right and enough volunteers then the Club will thrive.

Good post - enjoyed reading that but Bexley are a Premier club with a good pull and clearly a thriving youth section. I'm really talking about village and smaller clubs which had 2-3 Saturday sides 20 years ago but are now struggling to put out one or in many cases have folded
  • @Addick Addict both my daughters have now joined the thriving girls section at Bexley and they love it
  • Sponsored links:

• Shag said:

@Addick Addict both my daughters have now joined the thriving girls section at Bexley and they love it

That's really great to hear. It also means that, given my role at the Club, we know each other but don't know each other if you know what I mean!

Can't get away from Charlton fans - apart from the likes of Adam Riley and a number of other players and parents, the groundsman is one too.
  • Wins for both OCCC 4th XI (by 39 runs) and Beckenham 4th XI (by 102 runs!) sees both teams in good form going into Saturday.

This is it. The big one.

@PaddyP17 , @Leuth and @AshBurton vs @Addickted2TheReds - who will come out on top?

As an aside, it's pretty freakish how we've won four of our five matches and yet are somehow fifth in the table (of eight). Beckenham are top of the league with a full 20 points from all five fixtures (three wins, two concessions)... Both teams have won three of the games they've played.

I'll be opening a book later on but early price offer on Leuth to get out holing out to long on is 1/3 (he's done it four times in a row now...)

How's everyone been getting on lately?
  • Looking forward to it!

We are averaging over a 100 run winning margin this year and have won 12 in a row - hopefully we can make it 13 ;-).

I'm going okay with the bat (271 runs at 54s) but not bowling well, averaging 30ish.

Nailed on duck next week!! :-)
  • We'll have to hope for a miracle. Bowl first, open with our most viciously-turning spinners*, hope we bowl ten Warne/Murali specials inside the first ten overs

*There's a lot of debate as to who these actually are. I'll help you out: it's me (and maybe, MAYBE Paddy ;) )
  • ... Yeah, you guys are dicking on everyone, to put it bluntly. Well batted yesterday, by the way!

Our wins have been achieved with at least one or two passengers in the side (or ten men, as against Natwest and Orpington), and touch wood we're seeing a few guys come back into the fold this week, so here's hoping for a good competitive match.

I need some bloody wickets though!

Looking forward to it!

We are averaging over a 100 run winning margin this year and have won 12 in a row - hopefully we can make it 13 ;-).

I'm going okay with the bat (271 runs at 54s) but not bowling well, averaging 30ish.

Nailed on 5 for 20 and not required to bat more like!
  • Bowled 19 overs straight in a loss to steyning first team at the weekend 2 for 70 , came in at 10 after walking like the tin man during tea and was going at the required 10 an over in the last 12 before 2 quick wickets saw me left high and dry on 39 n.o
  • PaddyP17 said:

... Yeah, you guys are dicking on everyone, to put it bluntly. Well batted yesterday, by the way!

Our wins have been achieved with at least one or two passengers in the side (or ten men, as against Natwest and Orpington), and touch wood we're seeing a few guys come back into the fold this week, so here's hoping for a good competitive match.

I need some bloody wickets though!

Ta mate!

Seeing it okay this year other than when I get sweat in my eyes as the bowler is running in!!

Should be a good game and looking forward to the chatter in the field!

#MindTheWindowsPaddy
  • AshBurton said:

Looking forward to it!

Nailed on 5 for 20 and not required to bat more like!

Haha, no chance.

If it happens then half of the runs will be wides!
  • OCCC is just one school, Beckenham is a whole bunch of postcodes.
    It is like Gibraltar playing France at football.
    If OCCC get to double figures it will be amazing, and if they take one Beckenham wicket it will be a moral victory.