Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wine thread

A freakishly warm spring day means getting out in the garden with a plate of cold meat and cheese and a bottle of chilled rosé. And then another one.
It occurred to me that
a) this is a perfect garden wine, a fine example of its type
b) there is a beer thread and a whisky thread, but I havent seen a wine thread

So I'm starting off with Montgravet rosé, £5.99 from Waitrose. Just about the cheapest they do, but it's hard to see how spending more would get you anything better. Truly excellent value for money, and highly recommended.

Comments

• Nice work, now that you mention it, I too am surprised this thread doesn't already exist.

I'm no wine expert by any means, but I've found recently I really appreciate a Rioja. Used to like white wines, but now I pretty much never drink them.
  • If it's about drinkable cheap wines then Co-Op and Tesco Rose wines at about £3.50 seem fine to me.
  • Just had my laithwaites delivery. Whether it's good value for money rains to be seen at about £8 per bottle but I've had some decent ones in the past
  • iainment said:

If it's about drinkable cheap wines then Co-Op and Tesco Rose wines at about £3.50 seem fine to me.

I honestly thought most wines are still non veggie/vegan.
  • Uh oh.......
  • Time to open a packet of these and sit back

• laithwaites do a Black Stump Durif Shiraz, Australian wine for a tenner which is good value.
  • edited April 2017
    Badger said:

laithwaites do a Black Stump Durif Shiraz, Australian wine for a tenner which is good value.

That's an excellent wine. Always have one in my case. Really good Argentinian one called Waxed Bat as well
  • iainment said:

If it's about drinkable cheap wines then Co-Op and Tesco Rose wines at about £3.50 seem fine to me.

Their wines that I drink are vegetarian.
  • Whine thread?

No, that's the "What must Labour do" or "Brexit" thread
  • Sponsored links:

• I was always a bit disappointed with Laithwaites and Virgin wines so tried our Naked Wines a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. Some cracking wines all around £10 a bottle.

If I'm going for a good wine it's usually a Barolo that excites me. I've had some epic ones of that. More recently I tried one from St Julien. It's hard to find wines from there but I strongly recommend you give it a look.

This week I'm nursing a Malbec I got at Christmas and it's a beaut. Inexpensive but quaffable
  • McBobbin said:

Badger said:

laithwaites do a Black Stump Durif Shiraz, Australian wine for a tenner which is good value.

That's an excellent wine. Always have one in my case. Really good Argentinian one called Waxed Bat as well
    Love both of these. Big, rich, fireside reds. Caballié falls into the same group.

Laithwaite's whites are less inspiring, and I tend to go for Aussie Riesling, NZSB or unoaked Chardonnay.

Bought a bottle of Lugana a month or so ago, about £10 from Waitrose, and was really pleased with it. Lucky guess, I know far too little about Italian wine.
  • iainment said:

iainment said:

Fair enough, are most now vegetarian? Or are you limited to what's on offer?
  • I love all wine, but find white gives me a banging hangover but red doesn't yet the consensus is that it should be the other way around - does anyone else have this experience?
  • Quaffable means easily drinkable. Standard wine term.

I like nice wine and hate nasty wine. If I find one I like I get excited. I'm a CHARLTON fan so don't get much excitement in my life - is it any wonder I turn to alcohol to get my kicks.

If you've had a seriously good wine then epic is perfectly acceptable. It's memorable.
  • edited April 2017

I love all wine, but find white gives me a banging hangover but red doesn't yet the consensus is that it should be the other way around - does anyone else have this experience?

Cheap red wine is full of sulfites which cause nasty headaches. If I go to a restaurant I really drink the house wine because it's just a headache in a bottle. Spending just a little bit more on a bottle can make all the difference.

As a rule of thumb around £10 per bottle should get you something fairly decent and in a restaurant three times that amount will be half decent.
    A little bit more and it could be very decent
  • I thought I'd tuck into a bottle of local Luxembourg wine this afternoon with the weather being lovely in the Grand Duchy(as it always seems to be) - selected a very cheap Rivaner (5 euro) from Remich and thought, yeah, maybe I should have spent more ! It wasn't quite yuk but think Lienfraumikch and Black Tower.
  • Swisdom said:

I was always a bit disappointed with Laithwaites and Virgin wines so tried our Naked Wines a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. Some cracking wines all around £10 a bottle.

If I'm going for a good wine it's usually a Barolo that excites me. I've had some epic ones of that. More recently I tried one from St Julien. It's hard to find wines from there but I strongly recommend you give it a look.

This week I'm nursing a Malbec I got at Christmas and it's a beaut. Inexpensive but quaffable

Excites me? Epic wine? Quaffable?
    Have a listen to yourself FFS.
    I see nothing wrong in the terms he's used.
  • Once you get over £20 quid a bottle I refuse to believe there is any discernible taste benefit and you are paying for the brand you are drinking.
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought I'd tuck into a bottle of local Luxembourg wine this afternoon with the weather being lovely in the Grand Duchy(as it always seems to be) - selected a very cheap Rivaner (5 euro) from Remich and thought, yeah, maybe I should have spent more ! It wasn't quite yuk but think Lienfraumikch and Black Tower.

Austria has some very good red wine as does Croatia. Shouldn't cost the world to be import to Luxembourg and would probably be a big step up
  • iainment said:

iainment said:

Not most. But there are usually vegan or vegetarian wines in all the major supermarkets or good wine shops.
  • About fifteen years ago I bought some French wines en primeur. One case (Lafite) I sold as it was my son's eighteenth birthday present and it paid for his first year at Uni. The others were Chateaux Rieussec, Leoville Barton, and Lynch Bages. I'm just getting to the end of them and they've all been cracking, and cost me about a quarter of the current retail price. In a fair to good year, if you've got the money to spare and can find something at a reasonable price, I'd recommend buying en primeur. The problem is the reasonable price part as the Chinese have been driving up the prices.

If I'm looking for something for casual drinking with people who don't appreciate £100 bottles, I'll tend to spend around £10 on a good riesling, either German or NZ, a sauvignon blanc, either NZ or the Loire, or a chenin blanc, either South African or again the Loire. Occasionally I'll go for something a bit more pricey in a barola or an amarone, my two favourite reds.

Ms AA tends to prefer rosé and £6 seems to be a good price point for that.

If it's got to be sparkling, we both favour good prosecco over all cava and most champagnes although we have been known to splurge on a bottle of Perrier Jouet Belle Epoque, especially the rosé which is sublime. Cremant de Bourgogne or Cremant de Loire can both also be good and are, I believe, made by the same method as champagne. Also, they're good for kir royale for which champagne would be a waste of money.
  • edited April 2017
    Without meaning to sound like I'm taking the piss, how on earth do you get vegetarian/vegan wine?
    Is it not just a squashed grape? Or is there something more sinister going on?
    Does it all change if it has been discovered that a dogs pissed on the vine?
  • iainment said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

Not most. But there are usually vegan or vegetarian wines in all the major supermarkets or good wine shops.
    It's definitely something that I think people would be completely unaware that unless stated it isn't suitable for veggies.

• Lynch Bages indeed very quaffable, possibly epic and definitely more exciting than Charlton v MK Dons
  • iainment said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

It's definitely something that I think people would be completely unaware that unless stated it isn't suitable for veggies.

Vegetarians and vegans know.
  • MrOneLung said:

Once you get over £20 quid a bottle I refuse to believe there is any discernible taste benefit and you are paying for the brand you are drinking.

20 quid in a supermarket would be the equivalent of around 60 quid a bottle in a restaurant. I agree that is a very good wine. But a couple of times I have had one more expensive than this bracket and there is a difference. Similarly I've spent a lot less and had some really nice wine too.
  • Without meaning to sound like I'm taking the piss, how on earth do you get vegetarian/vegan wine?
    Is it not just a squashed grape? Or is there something more sinister going on?
    Does it all change if it has been discovered that a dogs pissed on the vine?

It's the same as beer. Traditionally finings consist of animal products such as isinglass.
    Which vegetarians and vegans would not knowingly consume.
  • Bloody hell, this thread is nearly two hours old and still no sign of curb_it or Fanny, can someone check in on them.