Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hales or Flanagan

Lets dig up this old one again. Are you team Hales or team Flanagan? Anyone under 50 might have to Google it. Hales for me.

Comments

• Killer 100%
  • Killer all day long - the greatest player ever to play for CAFC!
  • Hales.
    Should you meet him ask about the incident with the thief at charlton station.
  • Killer for me.
  • Been supporting Charlton for 51 years and killer is still my all time favourite Charlton player.
    Nuff said
  • Hales was and is my all time hero. No contest.
  • I'm 48 and been going since '74 so I just about qualify.

Killer all the way for me. The complete Charlton legend.
  • It was Flannagan when they were playing, then he went up the road so it became Hales. Until my missus asked him to sign my Joma boots after the CL game and he asked her "what sort of a prat plays in white boots" now I'm undecided, unless Mr Hales still has a gun!! ;)
  • I can't believe anyone would not say killer tbh
  • Killer ...absolutely no contest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Killer all day long.
  • I'm under 50. By a considerable distance.

Can I pick them both?

Or are we talking the punch up so I have to choose one?
  • Killer.
  • Killer was my first real hero, even when he put me on my backside in the Covered End warming up with a shot that Andy Peake would have proud of, I remember little birds flying about and my dad laughing at the word Mitre imprinted on my face.

I also remember him driving a Red Ford Cortina down Floyd Road on a matchday, one handed as he held steady a crate Skol Lager with his other.

I never saw him in a Palace shirt.....

Flanagan was Robin to Hales's Batman, for me there was only ever one winner
  • Flanagan was a ridiculously talented, exciting, attacking player, who would strike fear in opponents and would turn games in a "flash".

But... Hales. All day, every day.
  • Hales all day long. My favourite player.
  • Hales, no question. However, Flash was a great player. Did a fantastic job for us when he returned and scored some very important goals for us during our 85/86 promotion season.
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Flanagan was a ridiculously talented, exciting, attacking player, who would strike fear in opponents and would turn games in a "flash".

But... Hales. All day, every day.

Sorry, I need to add one thing to this. Missing out on seeing Derek Hales play at the peak of his career is one of the few things that I feel sorry for those people too young to have done so.

If you're in that bracket, you really, really missed out. Incomparable. But, imagine your absolute favourite ever player from more modern times. Johnny Robinson? Clive Mendonca? Darren Bent? Chris Powell? Yann Kermorgant? Jacko? Ricky Holmes? Whoever *your* favourite, all-time, number one Charlton hero was, he's have raised his game if Hales was in the team with him.

He had Rommedahl-like speed and could finish like Wright-Phillips. And, if you ever got on the wrong side of him, you knew it. Whichever team you played for.

For me, Killer was the best Charlton player, ever.
    Best post so far
  • Sponsored links:

• Killer by a country mile.

The best player to wear our shirt in my lifetime.
  • Greenie said:

Killer all day long - the greatest player ever to play for CAFC!

Exactly this ... so lucky to have watched his Charlton career.
  • Killer, my first football hero. When he was bearing down on goal, into the Covered End, we were already celebrating the goal - legend
  • Slightly hard to compare the players, as I've barely seen either play live, and those memories are hazy

My impression is that Flash was a slightly more versatile player, he could be the main striker or play off him as the No 10, to use modern terminology. He also had more success outside the Valley too, including a really successful spell in the US

Hence I'm still sitting on the fence!

A shame we didn't have a half decent defence during the 70s, Killer and Flash together would have been an excellent 1st division partnership
  • Stupid fucking question...

Killer!
  • edited March 2017
    Kinsella in his prime came close but deadly Derek has always been my all time favourite player.

He was waiting at the station after the 81 promotion game at Carlisle (where else) and he opened up a new packet of cigarettes. "Anyone want one lads?" He was left with one in the pack. A true Charlton legend.
  • no contest. Killer. Grew up with him being my idol & (sadly for the rest )is the benchmark I measure our strikers by.
  • Hales my first and greatest hero.
  • Killer is the greatest Charlton player of all time . End of