Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hales or Flanagan

Comments

• Killer. No question.
  • I can't believe anyone would not say killer tbh

Flash for me.

Only joking. But Flash the centre forward and target man was infinitely better than Flash the winger when he first got into the side.

What would we give for a front six of Paddy, Peter Hunt, Dick Tydeman, Peawee (or Robinson), Flash and Killer now?
  • I can't believe anyone would not say killer tbh

Flash for me.

Only joking. But Flash the centre forward and target man was infinitely better than Flash the winger when he first got into the side.

What would we give for a front six of Paddy, Peter Hunt, Dick Tydeman, Peawee (or Robinson), Flash and Killer now?
    Killer, yes. The rest of them are a bit past it now.
  • Hales for me but they were great together before we sold Derek to Derby if we had a good defence at the time we could have got promotion to the old first division
  • How can you even ask? Hales all day. Deadly in the penalty area, able to score with both feet and his head, lightning turn of speed, nose for goal. Bearded at a time when most players didn't have beards. A piratical plunderer.
  • Hales for me but they were great together before we sold Derek to Derby if we had a good defence at the time we could have got promotion to the old first division

I blame him for leaving. We might have won the European Cup had he stayed.
  • Given how great Flash was for us it speaks volumes that not a single poster has chosen him over Killer...and I ain't going to buck the trend either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Killer for me
  • edited March 2017
    Is the sky blue, is the sea wet, are the Spanners and Palarse sh*t (mind you so are we ATM)...............Killer, Killer, Killer!
  • edited March 2017

Hales.
    Should you meet him ask about the incident with the thief at charlton station.

The greatest player no.......one of them yes but not the greatest......it depends how long you've been going......Stuart Leary is acknowledged as being the best, followed closely by Eddie Firmani.
    As for Killer and Flano......it has to be Killer all day long.
  • I was at both of these games. As, I assume a number of other old posters on this thread were too..!

https://youtu.be/pTMsFfkTWaA?t=2m33s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8UOpkYw_Jc
  • As a member of the keepers' union I'm still voting Bartram, you guys
  • Killer. That raised fist in front of the covered end after he scored. Legend
  • Flash - far better all round player
    Killer - lazy until a sniff of goal, best chant ever...killer killer killer...mendonca is the only striker we've had since and he was half as good.
    Simmo was the best player in my lifetime...far better than anyone in the team by 2 miles
  • Got to be Killer Hales. Charlton legend!
  • Flash was great, but no contest, Killer by a mile!
  • Sponsored links:

• can't believe this is even a debate, Killer all day long
  • edited March 2017
    I idolised both of them as a boy so was distraught when they had that famous fight. I recall my grandad laughing as we watched it from the stand. Hales has to edge it although Flanagan's hat-trick against Spurs makes it close. Hales was a natural goalscorer, but a useful footballer too. Flanagan was a more all round player with a little bit more ability. Both were top players and a pleasure to watch.
  • edited March 2017
    Two different types of player IMO, Killer was a natural goal scorer who came alive more often than not in the box but also if he fancied his chances from distance. Wasn't the greatest doing the mundane stuff but knew how to look after himself and others. Paul Parker then of Fulham who minutes earlier had done Paddy, found this out to his cost one evening, by finishing up in the second row of the old West Stand.

Flash was more cultured and could pick a 50 yard pass no problem, held play up well also with an eye for goal.

Everyone loves a goal scorer but the one with the all time club record (168 in 368 appearances) is the only one for me. Killer, Killer, Killer.
  • Scott Parker may have been the best Charlton player I have seen for influence on a game but Killer was always my favourite.
  • Hales was my first hero, although he shared the podium with Kevin Keegan and James Hunt.
  • edited March 2017
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Flanagan was a ridiculously talented, exciting, attacking player, who would strike fear in opponents and would turn games in a "flash".

But... Hales. All day, every day.

He had Rommedahl-like speed and could finish like Wright-Phillips.

For me, Killer was the best Charlton player, ever.
    Point of order here Chizz.
    Hales had blistering acceleration over the first 10 yards, that's what gave him his edge.
    Well, that and his nerveless killer instinct in front of goal and aggressive winning temperament.
    But Rommedahl like speed over distance? Haha, no.
    Flanagan was a talented, left-sided forward/winger who visibly grew in stature after Hales left for his Derby/WestHam sojourn.
    After converting to Centre-forward and following a hugely successful summer spell in the USA, Flanagan returned the complete player with a new found arrogance and self belief.
    He had become a finisher of rare class.
    Better than Hales? Hmm, he undoubtedly had more strings to his bow, a sublime talent.
    But Killer was the best finisher I've seen in a Charlton shirt and remains my favourite ever Charlton player.
    In an era when we were disdainfully regarded as plucky little Charlton, a faded former giant, Killer didn't take any shit from anyone and gave us something to be proud of.
    A legend and a hero
  • Totally agree with Six-a- bag-of-nuts.
  • Killer all the way !
  • I am slightly put out that his "H" power partner Aurther Horsfield was not added to the choice. However, it would still only be a case of who was second choice to "KILLER" a true LEGEND.

Always gave his all, and was one of the players who you felt was proud and honoured to play for Charlton.