Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Your Childhood Train Set

Comments

• edited January 2017
    Happy days, it's good to start young as a Charlton fan with one of these speaking from experience, sets you up for later life collecting those numbers hours on end at London Bridge :wink:
  • Sell it to the palace director
  • only on CL could this thread be started on the day we play Millwall.

What odds will you give me on this getting more views than the Millwall match thread?
  • I was a Tri-ang kid. I think Hornby took over Tri-ang.
  • Hornby clockwork. Work of art. Still in my parent's attic. More threads like this please.
  • edited January 2017

• I think the title of this thread needs re-visiting :-)
  • I had the green one of these. My old man made me a great layout.

• Not everyone grows out of it, either ...:-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Come on Ibborg sort this out
  • Stig said:

Come on Ibborg sort this out

He's already told us about his train set. It was a 100% scale model of Grove Park station. He used to control everything from a box under the counter in his shop next to the station. Reports are that it was really lifelike.
    That's not all he had under the counter :wink:
  • RedChaser said:

Stig said:

Come on Ibborg sort this out

He's already told us about his train set. It was a 100% scale model of Grove Park station. He used to control everything from a box under the counter in his shop next to the station. Reports are that it was really lifelike.
    That's not all he had under the counter :wink:
    Reports are that some of that was really lifelike too.
  • This is an outrage
  • .....I had a bog standard Hornbey, but it never worked
  • One of them BIRO sets. The one with them wooden tracks and wooden trains with magnetic parts to connect the carriages.

Or it might have been a Thomas the Tank Engine wind up train on of them plastic and metal tracks.

Can't really remember as it was more than 30 years ago.

But talking about BIRO magnetic sets; have Southeastern come up with that excuse yet?
  • edited January 2017
    Stig said:

Oooh that set would really get some me time!........when I was a kid of course.

Used to have an attic bedroom and the whole room had a track around it. Liked the little steam loco's personally. I'd place a small engine ahead of about 20 coaches and trucks and watch it try to move. Real sick shit it was ;-)

As for train spotting, embarrassed to say, I can recall many a day spent as a 10-11 year old, travelling the country with a class mate, on our own, to see marshaling yards at Doncaster, Crew, Manchester etc. Parents these days seem too quick to nanny their kids and fill them with fear that the world is dangerous. Either that or they don't want it getting around that their kids are train spotting. Probably feel more comfortable handing them a bag of glue. (Now there's a misspent 70's afternoon)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2017
    My dad built a big set in the a spare bedroom complete with papier mache scenery and a loop track with sidings. I think it was the Royal Scot pulling the wagons if I remember rightly. He spent hours on it, but unfortunately it all had to come down as my nan moved in with us and we needed the room.

Spent some time as a younger fiddling with N gauge as that didn't take up as much room, but wasn't as good as HO/OO gauge.

I remember going down to Mays at Mottingham, putting a penny in the slot and watching the trains go round in the shop window.

Never quite got round to taking numbers down or standing on platforms.

OMG this sounds like your first meeting at AA :-)

• what was that comedy show from the 70's or 80's where the main character kept a model train set? I keep thinking it was ever decreasing circles.
  • edited January 2017
    As I may have mentioned before I come from a very fortunate background and my father bought me a train set for my birthday, I never played with it very much but I believe it was called Network South East after it was nationalised.
  • seth plum said:
    If you can find 'Rock Island Line' with Lonnie Donegan, Seth. I'll put a like on it :-)
  • I'll see if I can dig out some pictures of my old train set. I used to spent hours playing with it. Dad put it on about 4 sheets of chipboard, with trestles under on one side of my bedroom and my bed was squeezed into the other side of the room. It had 2 tracks, 2 stations, a paper mache tunnel through a mountain side. All the signals lit up, the points worked, it was bloody awesome. Mum & Dad spent hours building it. Thinking back, I reckon I must have been about 7 or 8 at the time and I had it in my room until I was 11 I think.
  • I'd love to have the room to build something like this...

• Get on my level:

• I'd love to have the room to build something like this...

Looking suspiciously like the Flying Scotman in the lower left of picture.