Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

XP security update problem with ZoneAlarm

edited July 2008 in Troubleshooting
I couldn't connect to the internet this morning, even from my work laptop. Finally I uninstalled a Microsoft security update from yesterday (KB951748) and connection restored. A quick Google shows there is a problem with this update and ZoneAlarm, so if you have ZoneAlarm it might be best not to let any XP security updates install for the time being.

Comments

• I had the same or similar. Was told by provider to delete Zone Alarm as Microsoft had updated something and then go to ZA site and re-install.

Email and t'internet working now.

Who was it who advised me to get ZA in the first place?
  • http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article4304820.ece#
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Who was it who advised me to get ZA in the first place?

Probably me! I'm currently in Frankfurt but my son phoned yesterday and said that he can no longer access internet from home pc so it looks like I have same problem. Not happened before but will have to try and get it sorted when I am back tomorrow.

Will uninstall / re-install as you did and hope it works.
  • I've been webless since Tuesday night, last thing I did was a windows update and yes, I've got xp and zonealarm. The wi-fi is fine incidentally. Seems like you chaps may have saved me the misery of ringing suport desks etc. Cheers.
  • Rather than reinstall, I just went to 'Add or Remove Programs' and ticked the 'Show Updates' box.
    Scrolled down to the Microsoft Office section.
    Found the KB951748 entry, selected and 'Remove'd
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Rather than reinstall, I just went to 'Add or Remove Programs' and ticked the 'Show Updates' box.
    Scrolled down to the Microsoft Office section.
    Found theKB951748entry, selected and 'Remove'd

Good idea, only problem is that we then do not get the benefit of the MS patch.
  • Zone alarm are putting a fix out later on today according to their site.
  • [cite]Posted By: Big William[/cite]Zone alarm are putting a fix out later on today according to their site.

let us know when you have a link to it BigW,

Cheers
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    Good idea, only problem is that we then do not get the benefit of the MS patch.

I haven't uninstalled the MS update yet, I just turned ZA down to medium.

I'd imagine another patch will be along shortly to clear the problem up.
  • edited July 2008
    Paddy - Zonelabs strongly advise against setting the level down to medium!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Paddy - Zonelabs strongly adviseagainstsetting the level down to medium!

OK. That changes things slightly.. :o)

I'll uninstall the patch now and whack the firewall back up to High. Thanks for the heads up, Salad.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I had the same or similar. Was told by provider to delete Zone Alarm as Microsoft had updated something and then go to ZA site and re-install.

Medders
  • ZA has released a fix for ZASS (ZoneAlarm Security Suite) - version 7.0.483.000.

fix
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I had the same or similar. Was told by provider to delete Zone Alarm as Microsoft had updated something and then go to ZA site and re-install.

Medders

Typical rugby loving trouble maker : - )
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]ZA has released a fix for ZASS (ZoneAlarm Security Suite) - version 7.0.483.000.

fix

Cheers
  • I realised there was a problem with ZA got fed up because I couldn't fix it yesterday including uninstalling/reinstalling so looked for an alternative and came up with Comodo. This looks really good and comes with malware (virus/spyware) detector.

Comodo link
  • TBH, this isn't even remotely ZoneAlarm's fault. MS rushed the patch out to fix a vulnerability that they didn't want to disclose to the rest of the world - hence ZoneAlarm had no opportunity to test their software with the patch installed. Classic bad business practice from MS - release a patch without telling the people who write applications to work with their ****ty Operating System then sit back and watch all those companies have to wring their hands and apologise to customers after MS breaks their product.

Disgraceful.
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]TBH, this isn't even remotely ZoneAlarm's fault. MS rushed the patch out to fix a vulnerability that they didn't want to disclose to the rest of the world - hence ZoneAlarm had no opportunity to test their software with the patch installed. Classic bad business practice from MS - release a patch without telling the people who write applications to work with their ****ty Operating System then sit back and watch all those companies have to wring their hands and apologise to customers after MS breaks their product.

Disgraceful.

I agree LA, its typical Microsoft. I got immensely frustrated yesterday when all of a sudden I couldn't get onto the net. Rather than rely on the Windows Firewall, I looked elsewhere and I think that Comodo is a good one.
  • Patch works - I just downloaded it and updated ZA, then went to Windows and restored/downloaded the update again. Needs a restart after both ZA and Windows, now up to date and working fine.
  • [cite]Posted By: charlton4ever[/cite]Patch works - I just downloaded it and updated ZA, then went to Windows and restored/downloaded the update again. Needs a restart after both ZA and Windows, now up to date and working fine.

Same here - excellent!