Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Whisky

edited September 2016 in Not Sports Related
It seems there are a few fans of Scotlands biggest export on CL ( @fiiish @Stuart the Red @eaststandmike )

I think a thread for discussion on whisky is a sad omission from the forum.

Here's the chance to discuss your favourite brand, comparisons with Whisky from other countries, tasting notes, bargain offer you may have seen or just to spout off rubbish when you've had too many.

Just to kick things off here's some of my collection:
(* opened)
Aberfeldy 12 yo 40%
Aberlour 10 yo 40%*
Ardbeg 10*
Ardbeg Ugadil
Bladnoch 15 yo 46%*
Balbliar 03 46%
Craggenmore SMWS bottling 30 yo 47.2%
Dalwhinnie 15 yo 43%*
Dalmore 15 yo 40%*
Dalmore cigar malt 10 yo 40%
Fettercairn 13 yo 50%
Glenrothes 1992 12 yo 43%*
Glenkinchie 10 yo 43%*
Glenlivet 12 yo 40%
Glenfiddich 12 yo 40%*
Glenfiddich aincient reserve 18 yo 43%
Glenmorangie 10 yo 40%
Laphroaig 10 yo 40%*
Laphroaig quarter cask
Macallan 10 yo 40%
Port Ellen 6th Release
Rosebank F&F 12 yo 43%
Rosebank Signatory bottling 43%
Rosebank specialty bottling 14 yo 46%*

There are others, but can't remeber them all

Comments

• Many many years ago I turned up for a xmas bash laid on by RBS for their 'friends' from other banks and where on a side table they had some whisky samples laid on. I seem to recall there were 4 to choose from ranging from around something like 90% up to about 140% or somewhere in that region. After a few pints it seemed rude not to at least sample one or two. The process consisted of listening to some aficionado waxing lyrical about the merits of each one before handing over a wee dram of it. Now I like a glass of the stuff and I'm partial to taking it neat so as not to spoil the taste but the one with the lowest alcohol content was like rocket fuel and the next one up was worse. I didn't bother with the next two. Apparently they belonged to a whisky club that met regularly to taste and talk about the stuff. I suspect after a coupe of glasses it would have been more slurring than talking.
  • Talisker is a decent drop, I reckon.

• OOOOH.... now this is a thread I like! Back when I was in the "Water of Life" society whilst a student at Edinburgh... I got to taste some beauties... 62yo Dalmore, 50 yo Glenfiddich (worth a good 20k between them!)

I don't have any in at the moment, but I must admit to being an Islay fan. MY favourite is probably 18yo Caol Isla or 16yo Lagavullin. I'm also partial to a bit of Bowmore Darkest and Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

honourable mentions to for Ardbeg Uigeadail, Highland Park (any "expression" thereof... I go by the mantra when buying whisky as a present, if in doubt, Highland Park) and Longmorn
  • It seems there are a few fans of Scotlands biggest export on CL

Tony Watt?

In seriousness I'm in the middle of moving house and the 'collections' thread coincided with me moving 5 boxes all labelled 'Whisky' into the mancave. I'm building a cabinet for it this week and will be unpacking it all into it so I'll post up my collection soon.

My favourites off the top of my head - Lagavulin 16yo, Jura Superstition, Glenfarclas 10yo, Highland Park 12yo.

I'm also into my blends and bourbons though.
  • Alex, I think you have a problem.
  • I usually have Glenfiddich 12 and 18 year old, Glenmorangie and a Jonnie Walker black label and these are brought out after the family have been round for dinner or if the kids are asleep and i'm sitting down to relax with the mrs.

There is always a bells/famous grouse knocking about from birthdays/xmas but they tend to go at a party rather than sipping on
  • I spent far to much time in The Toucan , Soho square , enjoying some quality Irish Whiskey on Friday..... I knew all about it on Saturday am.

• There is always a bells/famous grouse knocking about from birthdays/xmas but they tend to go at a party rather than sipping on

Quite right, cheap blends for parties.

And save the decent single malts for those who really appreciate them.

• Sponsored links:

• Fiiish said:

It seems there are a few fans of Scotlands biggest export on CL

Tony Watt?

In seriousness I'm in the middle of moving house and the 'collections' thread coincided with me moving 5 boxes all labelled 'Whisky' into the mancave. I'm building a cabinet for it this week and will be unpacking it all into it so I'll post up my collection soon.

My favourites off the top of my head - Lagavulin 16yo, Jura Superstition, Glenfarclas 10yo, Highland Park 12yo.

I'm also into my blends and bourbons though.
    i cannot wait for the house warming!
  • When I was a kid my dad always had a bottle of Dimple Haig in the house, "dimple" because of the bottles shape.

When one was empty I used to wash it out and save up sixpenny bits in it for Christmas or summer holidays.
  • I like this thread - it's one of the very few subjects that I know quite a lot about!!

In terms of picking just one distillery then I would have to say I'm a Dalmore man, although I do have many other non-Dalmore favourites!!

I'm not a scotch snob and really enjoy some Japanese and Indian whiskies. And not just single malts - Jim Murray rated Ballantine 17 year old his Whisky of the Year a few years back (but he's not a Dalmore fan so isn't right all the time!!).
  • Many many years ago I turned up for a xmas bash laid on by RBS for their 'friends' from other banks and where on a side table they had some whisky samples laid on. I seem to recall there were 4 to choose from ranging from around something like 90% up to about 140% or somewhere in that region. After a few pints it seemed rude not to at least sample one or two. The process consisted of listening to some aficionado waxing lyrical about the merits of each one before handing over a wee dram of it. Now I like a glass of the stuff and I'm partial to taking it neat so as not to spoil the taste but the one with the lowest alcohol content was like rocket fuel and the next one up was worse. I didn't bother with the next two. Apparently they belonged to a whisky club that met regularly to taste and talk about the stuff. I suspect after a coupe of glasses it would have been more slurring than talking.

140% ? Is that even possible ?
  • se9addick said:

Many many years ago I turned up for a xmas bash laid on by RBS for their 'friends' from other banks and where on a side table they had some whisky samples laid on. I seem to recall there were 4 to choose from ranging from around something like 90% up to about 140% or somewhere in that region. After a few pints it seemed rude not to at least sample one or two. The process consisted of listening to some aficionado waxing lyrical about the merits of each one before handing over a wee dram of it. Now I like a glass of the stuff and I'm partial to taking it neat so as not to spoil the taste but the one with the lowest alcohol content was like rocket fuel and the next one up was worse. I didn't bother with the next two. Apparently they belonged to a whisky club that met regularly to taste and talk about the stuff. I suspect after a coupe of glasses it would have been more slurring than talking.

I imagine he means 'proof', not ABV. Either that or distilleries are now fucking about with the laws of particle physics.
  • Fiiish said:

se9addick said:

Many many years ago I turned up for a xmas bash laid on by RBS for their 'friends' from other banks and where on a side table they had some whisky samples laid on. I seem to recall there were 4 to choose from ranging from around something like 90% up to about 140% or somewhere in that region. After a few pints it seemed rude not to at least sample one or two. The process consisted of listening to some aficionado waxing lyrical about the merits of each one before handing over a wee dram of it. Now I like a glass of the stuff and I'm partial to taking it neat so as not to spoil the taste but the one with the lowest alcohol content was like rocket fuel and the next one up was worse. I didn't bother with the next two. Apparently they belonged to a whisky club that met regularly to taste and talk about the stuff. I suspect after a coupe of glasses it would have been more slurring than talking.

I imagine he means 'proof', not ABV. Either that or distilleries are now fucking about with the laws of particle physics.
    Ah right, that makes sense.

Is 140 proof exactly 70% abv or is it not as simple as that ?
  • Fiiish said:

se9addick said:

I reckon so... proof being double the alcohol content? You often get cask strength whiskies in the 100-120% proof region. Glenfarclas 120 being a particularly good example
  • edited September 2016
    se9addick said:

Fiiish said:

se9addick said:

Ah right, that makes sense.

Is 140 proof exactly 70% abv or is it not as simple as that ?
    It is in the States, in the UK I think it's ABV x 1.75

Edit - That's what it used to be. It's now the same in the UK as in the US https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_proof
  • I quite like Glenlivet but the Founders Reserve they are marketing now is not even !0 years old with no age shown on the bottle.
    Not for me.
    Balvenie 12yr old is my current favourite.
  • Not a huge fan of the product, I prefer cognac.

Particular distaste of Laphroaig which is like drinking something that's been filtered through some garden soil.

Twice.

And then they've thrown away the whisky and left the soil.

I have however "sampled" products from the Springbank Campbeltown Distillery. These seemed might fine but that might have had something to do with the fact it was the 100 proof stuff (57% by vol?) which I believe has now been discontinued and I don't think it was ever available south of the border.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fiiish said:

se9addick said:

One of the many benefits of research at the Hadron collider!!
  • cafcfan said:

Not a huge fan of the product, I prefer cognac.

Particular distaste of Laphroaig which is like drinking something that's been filtered through some garden soil.

Twice.

And then they've thrown away the whisky and left the soil.

I have however "sampled" products from the Springbank Campbeltown Distillery. These seemed might fine but that might have had something to do with the fact it was the 100 proof stuff (57% by vol?) which I believe has now been discontinued and I don't think it was ever available south of the border.

There are plenty of non peaty whiskies to try and I'm doing my best .
  • Oggy Red said:

Talisker is a decent drop, I reckon.

+ 1 for Talisker, had many a good night that I can't remember after a bottle of Talisker was opened!
  • Morayshire - the home of Malt Whisky all along the river Spey. I can also vouch for The Yamasaki 18 year old single malt. Very expensive but an incredible taste you will crave.
  • I've tried the Welsh one Penderyn and reckon it's shite. the best way to taste whisky is blind... well, it at least cures you of being a snob as you rate a bottle of Grants higher than a Macallan!

My folks love Auchentoschen... triple distilled like an Irish malt. Not for me, but many like it
  • Due to selling our home back in January and being in rented at the moment I have had to stop buying new bottles and concentrate on drinking what I have, at the moment I am looking at:

Aberlour 10 yo 40%
    Ben Riach 12yo 40%
    Dalmore 15 yo 40%
    Glenfiddich Special Reserve 12yo 40%
    Glenrothes Select Reserve 10yo 43%
    Jura 10yo 40%
    Laphroaig 10 yo 40%
    Singleton 12yo 40%

The good news is we have just had an offer accepted on a new home so I feel additions to the collection are not far away.
  • As an aside, how much are most of these bottles ?

Expensive hobby ?
  • MrOneLung said:

As an aside, how much are most of these bottles ?

Expensive hobby ?

I have never paid more than £45.00 for a bottle and some of mine have been gifts, it is nice to receive a good bottle from the kids or wife on a special occasion and it beats socks :smile:

I will be sending them this link for my Christmas present:

https://www.whiskyshop.com/the-last-drop-50-year-old-3176
  • I'm sure you malt fans know this, but I was amazed at the result when a Scottish mate told me to put a little water in with the malt. As he said, it isn't necessarily "better" but it becomes a different taste sensation.

I was also amazed in a slightly different way when Indian friends who invited us to a dinner party explained that it is traditional to glut back some whiskys as an aperitif before the Indian banquet. I thought that was not just asking for trouble next morning but kneeling down and begging for it. I wasn't wrong.
  • MrOneLung said:

As an aside, how much are most of these bottles ?

Expensive hobby ?

Can be expensive - £200 plus - and some can be very, very expensive 000's

But £30-50 can get you some really nice whiskies.