Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Whisky

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2016

I'm sure you malt fans know this, but I was amazed at the result when a Scottish mate told me to put a little water in with the malt. As he said, it isn't necessarily "better" but it becomes a different taste sensation.

I was also amazed in a slightly different way when Indian friends who invited us to a dinner party explained that it is traditional to glut back some whiskys as an aperitif before the Indian banquet. I thought that was not just asking for trouble next morning but kneeling down and begging for it. I wasn't wrong.

Spot on PA, I have mine straight and no ice so anything above 40% can be strong, the Glenrothes Select Reserve in my list is 43% and a little water just takes the edge off.

My daughter got married a few weeks ago and a lot of friends and family wanted to buy the "father of the bride" a drink. I do not know what possessed me but I thought it would be a good idea to have a few Single Malt Whiskey's as it was a special occasion..............wrong it is not a session drink as I should well know. :neutral:

• Options
    Sheep Dip anyone ?
  • Options

I'm sure you malt fans know this, but I was amazed at the result when a Scottish mate told me to put a little water in with the malt. As he said, it isn't necessarily "better" but it becomes a different taste sensation.

Indeed. You can tell who knows nothing about whisky if they think adding water is odd.
  • Options
    i have a pretty big collection as above but very rarely drink any of it ...i just like to look at it and touch it etc ,maybe like the rest of you ...

i honestly dont mind an every day bells/haig/teachers ...currently getting through (slowly) some chivas ..if you want something really quite different from a whisky id suggest an Ardbegg ( a very acquired taste)

its all very good for drowning the thoughts of supporting our team though
  • Options
    Worked in a whisky bar for close to a year - oldest whisky I had was I think 35 years old - can't remember sadly (surprise surprise) but I do remember it was £12.50 for a 35ml shot and my manager at the time wrote half the bottle off as 'waste'.

He was let go a few months later, not sure why...

I'm not in to peated whisky myself. I do like a drop of this beaut: https://www.masterofmalt.com/distilleries/littlemill-whisky-distillery/
  • Options
    EastStand said:

Worked in a whisky bar for close to a year - oldest whisky I had was I think 35 years old - can't remember sadly (surprise surprise) but I do remember it was £12.50 for a 35ml shot and my manager at the time wrote half the bottle off as 'waste'.

I'm not in to peated whisky myself. I do like a drop of this beaut: https://www.masterofmalt.com/distilleries/littlemill-whisky-distillery/

Spooky! Browsing this on the bus just as I passed the old Littlemill site. Am I Katrien Meire a witch?
  • Options
    addickson said:

EastStand said:

Spooky! Browsing this on the bus just as I passed the old Littlemill site. Am I Katrien Meire a witch?
    Youre talking whorelocks
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Fiiish said:

Indeed. You can tell who knows nothing about whisky if they think adding water is odd.
    not just that, i had some family down from Cromary not long ago and they thought it strange that the water jug wasn't already out and had to ask for it, my cousins face when the barman came back with a massive jug of water full of ice was something else!
  • Options
    I drink very little whisky but when I do I pretty much always add a little splash of water, which I find opens out the whisky and the flavours are more accessible to my untrained palate.
    Would NEVER put coke in it though.
  • Options
    Haig Club is my current favourite.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Useless fact of the day. Most whisky is matured in barrels that have been made by, set on fire by and previously used by Jack Daniels.

Jack would never consider using their own barrels more than once.
  • Options

I was also amazed in a slightly different way when Indian friends who invited us to a dinner party explained that it is traditional to glut back some whiskys as an aperitif before the Indian banquet. I thought that was not just asking for trouble next morning but kneeling down and begging for it. I wasn't wrong.

I assume it isn't actually Indian whisky they were plying you with (or the nonsense that passes for Scottish whisky over there) - tried some of that when I was over there and was thoroughly unimpressed.
  • Options
    I like a splash of water in my whisky as well, I was shown the difference in flavour while on an unexpected whisky tasting session on a Loch Ness cruise!

I'm not a massive whisky drinker, but like the slightly sweet flavours of the Speyside Malts. Visiting 3 of them a few years ago, it was really interesting seeing the difference ageing made. The Glen Moray ordinary (8 year old) wasn't nice, the 12 year old really nice and the 16 year old gorgeous! I bought the 16 year old...

Incidentally, Aldi sometimes a 5 year old blended malt whisky (i.e. a blend of single malts) which is really nice for the price, the sort of stuff you can knock back without feeling guilty about the cost

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/groceries/awards/liquor/liquor-detail/ps/p/glen-orrin-5-year-old-blended-malt-scotch-whisky/

• Options
    cafcfan said:

Not a huge fan of the product, I prefer cognac.

Particular distaste of Laphroaig which is like drinking something that's been filtered through some garden soil.

Twice.

And then they've thrown away the whisky and left the soil.

I have however "sampled" products from the Springbank Campbeltown Distillery. These seemed might fine but that might have had something to do with the fact it was the 100 proof stuff (57% by vol?) which I believe has now been discontinued and I don't think it was ever available south of the border.

Did a tour of the Springbank distillery where they still malt their own barley and toast it over peat fires. Did the tasting and made a selection after which they tell you the price of the bottle!

My favourite is Laphroaig and all the peaty whiskies.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Useless fact of the day. Most whisky is matured in barrels that have been made by, set on fire by and previously used by Jack Daniels.

I would not say "most" a lot of the good single malt whiskeys are matured in old sherry casks imported from Spain.
  • Options

cafcfan said:

I would not say "most" a lot of the good single malt whiskeys are matured in old sherry casks imported from Spain.
    Is it most by quantity of whisky produced or by number of distilleries? I imagine most "whisky" is the mass-produced crap they flog for a tenner a bottle at Morrisons.
  • Options

I was told on my Springbank tour that what is taken by the angels, the exquisite aroma in the storage warehouse that has escaped from the barrels, is replaced by a dash of water to get it back to the balance of water and alcohol when first distilled.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I assume it isn't actually Indian whisky they were plying you with (or the nonsense that passes for Scottish whisky over there) - tried some of that when I was over there and was thoroughly unimpressed.
    It doesn't pass for Scotch - it's Indian!! Some Indian whiskies are sensational - Amrut Intermediate Sherry for one.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Scottish whisky has to be matured in old barrels, whereas a lot of bourbons have to be in new barrels. The Scottish distilleries will ship new casks over to the us to be used under lease, and then ship them back for use!
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

cafcfan said:

Is it most by quantity of whisky produced or by number of distilleries? I imagine most "whisky" is the mass-produced crap they flog for a tenner a bottle at Morrisons.
    I am no expert by any means, it can take a life time to master this subject however a single malt is made with malted barley in pot stills at a single distillery. The goal is to achieve very distinctive flavors and nuances that exemplify a single distillery's style. A blended scotch whisky is made by combining several single malts with wheat and/or corn whiskies in column stills.

It is the blended whiskeys that tend to be the cheaper ones although there are a few that will set you back a few pennies.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Fiiish said:

not just that, i had some family down from Cromary not long ago and they thought it strange that the water jug wasn't already out and had to ask for it, my cousins face when the barman came back with a massive jug of water full of ice was something else!
    Ah Cromarty - Munro country. My castle (Foulis) is on the banks of the Cromarty Firth. Well I say my castle, it would have been if my great, great, great great, great, great grandfather hadn't been born out of wedlock and missed out on inheritance!
  • Options
    While I'm on it, single cakes whisky comes from a single.barrel, single malt comes from a single distillery but mixed from different barrels (the age on the bottle being the age of the youngest whisky blended), a vatted malt comprises malt whiskies from a number if distilleries, and a blend comprises malt whisky and grain whisky, which is filler made in a continuous process, is cheap and not especially nice (though some blends are decent)
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Scottish whisky has to be matured in old barrels, whereas a lot of bourbons have to be in new barrels. The Scottish distilleries will ship new casks over to the us to be used under lease, and then ship them back for use!

Imagine if the US brought back prohibition and stopped producing bourbon, it would be a nightmare for Scotch producers!
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Fiiish said:

cafcfan said:

I am no expert by any means, it can take a life time to master this subject however a single malt is made with malted barley in pot stills at a single distillery. The goal is to achieve very distinctive flavors and nuances that exemplify a single distillery's style. A blended scotch whisky is made by combining several single malts with wheat and/or corn whiskies in column stills.

It is the blended whiskeys that tend to be the cheaper ones although there are a few that will set you back a few pennies.
    Blends get a bad rap due to stuff like Famous Grouse, Bells, J&B, Whyte & Mackay etc. but there are some absolutely brilliant blends that are much better than bog standard single malts. Johnnie Walker Black is a good place to start at the lower end of the price scale.

I visited a 'blending' distillery last year and opted for the 'premium' tour, which involved sitting down with one of the pros who explained the ins and outs of being a master blender, as well as giving us samples of some of the premium blends (that usually go for £100-200 a bottle) and giving hints as to what malts were in them. Fascinating stuff and sounds like a dream job.
  • Options
    Not a scotch in sight!!

Jim Murray’s 2016 World Whiskies of the Year

1. Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye (Canada)

2. Pikesville Straight Rye (USA)

3. Midleton Dair Ghaelach (Irish - Whiskey!)

4. William Larue Weller Bourbon (Bot.2014) (USA)

5. Suntory Yamazaki Mizunara (Bot.2014) (Japan)
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I like my whisky like my women. Rough as f.....
    Seriously though, I prefer peaty malts from the islands rather than the sweeter mainland malts. Particular favourites are Bruichladdich, Bowmore from Islay and the rarer Ledaig from Mull and talisker from Skye. Jura is producing some good stuff too recently and there is a nicely peated mainland malt called the Ardmore (recent vintage - white box - is not quite as good as the predecessor which is now getting hard to find). Highland Park from Orkney is always a pleaser too. I'm not so keen on the caramel flavoured Speyside malts but won't pass one by if offered. I'll occasionally go for a big hefty medicinal blaster like Laphroaig or Ardbeg. Smokehead is a good recent addition to that genre although TCP is cheaper and very similar

Too much snobbery about with whisky. Sure there is some real shite out there but even some of the lower end blends can be passable. I prefer my malts with a little water or a lump of ice there is no right way to do it. Whatever floats your boat. You don't need to break the bank. I got a litre of Talisker Dark Storm (made exclusively for duty free) and a litre of Ardmore at Heathrow last week for £75 quid the pair.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Ledaig is from mull. It's a peated Tobermory... And both are very nice!
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Ledaig is from mull. It's a heated Tobermory... And both are very nice!

Yup. You're right. It is and they are.
  • Options
    I do like Jameson select reserve. I usually ordered a personalised bottle for the birth of any relatives, very good service, 4 days to Melbourne.

Looking forward to trying Leitrim whiskey when it matures in th next couple of years. The Shed distillery has won many awards for its Drumshando Gunpowder Gin and has me on the waiting list for a bottle.