Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

WHITE SWAN PUB (p.7 - Closed, just to add to the happy vibe)

edited March 2020 in General Charlton
I go to all the pubs in Charlton and think all do an excellent job in their own way, especially in recent times the Rose of Denmark, Bugle Horn, and the Oak in their different forms of support for CARD, but wrote this review about The White Swan at the weekend because it is almost one year since the new management came in and it just shows how any 'business' can be transformed in a short space of time and we can only hope we see the same further down the hill before very long - https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186338-d5815609-r379865425-The_White_Swan-London_England.html#REVIEWS
Disclaimer - I have never shouted at the owner but then he has never called me a customer behind my back.

Comments

• Nice one, Centurion. (sorry)

Seriously, it's good to see people taking the trouble to write reviews of places they found that are special.

I have to agree with you. The White Swan is a great example of what can be done in unpromising circumstances. Hats off to Geoff and his staff for turning it round so spectacularly.

• And if anyone wants to do the Swan another favour, check to see if you have the old White Swan page set up by a previous owner in your Facebook likes - if you do, please remove it, because the guy concerned is being a pain in the arse, by all accounts.
  • Nice review Centurion

A shame the pub will lose many of its customers when Peter Varney gets his wicked away, and moves us away from The Valley :smile:
  • Not really, we're just moving up the road to Charlton Park.
  • iaitch said:

Not really, we're just moving up the road to Charlton Park.

Our reserves and youth teams have played at the Meridian a few years back, so why not the 1st team once they've dropped to the same standard?

• Have enjoyed a couple of visits there during the latter part of last season and it's now an excellent choice for a drink locally to the stadium.Only gripe would be that the food menu could be more imaginative and is priced a little on the high side.The beers are excellent though and there is always a good choice.
  • I think basic menu of very good quality is the way to go myself. Too many places which are really pubs which have 'jus' coming out of there ears.

That said if the white swan menu is similar to the Pelton Arms where I've eaten a few times, could do with a salad for the summer.
  • Going there this Sunday on your recommendation
  • A good plug for the White Swan in the Winter edition of 'Beer', CAMRA's quarterly magazine. There's an article by Glenn Tilbrook on his favourite pubs across the country, which he visits whilst on tour. At the outset, he refers to the White Swan as his local and also name checks the Pelton Arms and the Anchor and Hope.
  • Sponsored links:

• The Swan is not open tonight as they are doing a bar refurbishment will be open again tomorrow.
  • The Swan pub will be closed next Saturday to normal pre-match drinkers so that middle-class families, new to the area, with no concept of what football is, have reserved every table from 1:30 so that, should you mistakenly sit down to have a beer with friends, you can rest assured you will be turfed out of your seat so mum, dad and a dozen Tarquins/Tarquinas can sip water with slices of lemon in it, whilst eating ‘skin-on’ chunky chips.

I don’t so much blame those that decide a pub full of football supporters is a good place to have a family meal but whoever it is that takes the booking and doesn’t say “there’s a match on you may want to wait until 2:45”

• The Swan is not open tonight as they are doing a bar refurbishment will be open again tomorrow.

I booked a table for pre match tonight a couple of weeks ago and confirmed it earlier in the week - they didn't say anything about being closed. No one answering the phone at the moment.

Pretty poor show if they are closed and not bothered to contact.

I booked a table for pre match tonight a couple of weeks ago and confirmed it earlier in the week - they didn't say anything about being closed. No one answering the phone at the moment.

They're changing the pipes and leads apparently, started yesterday opens again tomorrow.

They're changing the pipes and leads apparently, started yesterday opens again tomorrow.
    Thanks Stu. They weren't when I confirmed it with them. They have my number and it only takes a call.
  • Ah damn, that's a shame. Was going to visit for the first time ever this evening.

Anyone got other recommendations of where to go pre match?
  • White horse is a good pub on the woolwich road. A bit run down but has a proper pub feel to it. Pool table, dart board, fruit machines and normally have an offer on one of the lagers. What more can one want :)
  • Nicholas said:

White horse is a good pub on the woolwich road. A bit run down but has a proper pub feel to it. Pool table, dart board, fruit machines and normally have an offer on one of the lagers. What more can one want :)

A private dance wouldn't go amiss.
  • Nicholas said:

White horse is a good pub on the woolwich road. A bit run down but has a proper pub feel to it. Pool table, dart board, fruit machines and normally have an offer on one of the lagers. What more can one want :)

I would ask Tina Turner if I were you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Nicholas said:

It's great if you like shit holes.
  • Ah damn, that's a shame. Was going to visit for the first time ever this evening.

The Oak on Charlton Lane is handy for an evening game.
  • Nicholas said:

Really "A bit run down" "What more can one want ?" Ok here goes...clean loos, light bulbs in the said loos, not waiting for the staff to stop looking at the tv so I can get served and then not having to hear the life story of the bar staff when they can be finally be bothered. But your right apart from that nothing :wink: .
  • DA9 said:

Ah damn, that's a shame. Was going to visit for the first time ever this evening.

Home
    If it was not for a friend's birthday (god knows why he would choose this) I would certainly go home.

Ideally I would just go Richard 1st in Greenwich, but time does not permit.
  • Nicholas said:

Trust me, you wouldn't want a private dance from Nicholas.
  • Nicholas said:

I'll try anything once twice
  • hawksmoor said:

I saw the best girl fight EVER in the Swan after a midweek game.

When they were pulled apart, this astonishingly revealing two-line exchange occurred:

'My brother's inside because of your f*cking grassing.'

'So, at least I'm not on the game!'

That was my mum and my sister. They're still not talking to each other now.
  • Nicholas said:

Oi it's my shit hole now. Well since the Pickwick shut down anyway
  • Nicholas said:

Really "A bit run down" "What more can one want ?" Ok here goes...clean loos, light bulbs in the said loos, not waiting for the staff to stop looking at the tv so I can get served and then not having to hear the life story of the bar staff when they can be finally be bothered. But your right apart from that nothing :wink: .
    See you around 645 then. You have been there all season and never complained. I will tell the barmaid, she will eat you alive