Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

UFC Thread

Comments

• He beat Aldo before he got in the ring. The build up is how he's made his fame and fortune. It's a contractual requirement that everyone seems to be able to do, apart from Nate of all people before the GSM fight. If you talk a lot then get smashed by a late replacement who was overweight it's bound to affect your phycology. It will be a shame if this doesn't happen as the build up is what I was/am looking forward to the most.
  • UFC needs him as much as he needs UFC.

Disagree, UFC is far bigger than McGregor. How many people watched him on cage rage when he didn't have 2 pennies to rub together? How many were watching GSP?

• He beat Aldo before he got in the ring. The build up is how he's made his fame and fortune. It's a contractual requirement that everyone seems to be able to do, apart from Nate of all people before the GSM fight. If you talk a lot then get smashed by a late replacement who was overweight it's bound to affect your phycology. It will be a shame if this doesn't happen as the build up is what I was/am looking forward to the most.

He does a lot more promotions than the other fighters and gets a load more questions as he's so much more entertaining. Yes, it makes him more money but it also adds a lot more pressure. The pre fight conferences are on the American fighters doorsteps whereas CM has to travel half way across the world for every one. You can't really blame him for his petulance but as you say he is obliged contractually to do this work.
  • Come on, he loves the limelight. It's his mouth that has made him rich and given him the opportunities that other fighters don't get.

Pressure doesn't seem to get to him, but he's the one who predicts rounds and fights injured.

He also has a home in LA.
  • I think he's just dug himself into a hole with all this. He's clearly refused to do the promotion and called the UFCs bluff but it hasn't worked, now he's trying damage limitation.

He clearly wasn't prepared enough for the last fight and that is perhaps playing on his mind as well. All of this promotion stuff would have been agreed to and signed off on when the fight was announced. He's also getting a reported 10m for this. If he doesn't want the money, the fame and everything that goes with it then that's fine but at the same time he shouldn't have been giving it the big one just a couple of months ago about how he is the game etc.

I like Conor but this episode has made me lose some respect for him. Whatever angle I look at this it comes out looking ad on him.
  • 200 press conference on now
  • Diaz says he's either fighting Conor or he's going on vacation. Turning into a car wreck.
  • This whole thing is. Announcing in the video 3 title fights but only 2 announced so far then when asked Dana is cagey about it. Making our club look like a well run company.
  • It's already basically being hinted that the final title fight will be Jones v Cormier in the main event if Jones wins well tomorrow.

Either that or Lawler v GSP.
  • edited April 2016
    Thing is that's a big bet to put on. If Jones wins (assuming mentally he's able to compete againand after such a lay off and he's back to this best) and also that DC has recovered in time then yes that's definitely a possibility but I think 200 is too early for that, probably more likely to be the MSG event. I think Lawler v GSP could be what they are hinting at. Rumours are that GSP has issues around money and the Reebok deal. If so it could also lend weight to why Conor is doing what he is doing.

The big names are going to milk this event for all they can. I fully expect Conor to fight Nate and it wouldn't surprise me to see GSP back. If that's the case 200 is a monster card and if they pull it off fair play to the UFC but their handling of this whole thing hasn't been ideal at
  • Sponsored links:

• Not sure they could get both Conor and GSP on the same card. Both fighters will demand to be the main event and there can only be one.

With Dana White seemingly ruling out a return for Conor, I think see him bringing back GSP to bring the fans back onside. Conor then fights Diaz for UFC 201?
  • I am not paid to promote

Err yes, yes you are.
  • Seems the media doesn't have a clue how contracts work.

Mcgregor is signed with the UFC so can only fight for them.
  • edited June 2016
    Bump this thread with UFC 200 on the horizon, this is one of the best cards in mma history and anyone wanting to get into the sport should give this event a try. The fights I'm most looking forward to are brownie vs Cain v and hunt vs lesnar. Anyone one else looking forward to it?
  • Edgar v Aldo should be very interesting. I expect Edgar to win.
  • The first fight Edgar vs Aldo was a one way fight and I expect it to go that way this time around, but you never know Edgar is tough fighter and won't make it easy.
  • Interesting to see Lesnar back in a "shoot" fight after being in the WWE for a few years.
  • The first fight Edgar vs Aldo was a one way fight and I expect it to go that way this time around, but you never know Edgar is tough fighter and won't make it easy.

Will be interesting to see how Aldo does after getting KO'd, does make the fight more interesting.
  • Sponsored links:

• 200 is stacked but it'll still have to do very well to better 199. This week is very exciting. Part of me is pleased we won't get the Conor circus as well distracting from some good matchups.
  • edited July 2016
    Just seen the dos anjos event is on UFC fight pass does anyone know another way to watch it? (Sorry just seen its on bt sport)
  • Just watched the promo video on YouTube. Pumped for this now.
  • Jones out, potential anti doping violation. If this turns out to be true the guy is an absolute prick, I don't know how people defend him at the moment but I'll have no sympathy after this.
  • Jones fucked up again! :neutral:
  • Could all be speculation but many are saying that it's coke. If so then he's fucked up big time, what a waste. I hope this is all a mistake but it seems so unlikely, the guy clearly has a lot of problems and it seemed that he had them sorted out in his time away but if all this is true then he's clearly learned nothing. Wouldn't be surprised to see Jackson Wink kick him out either.
  • They don't test for recreational substances out of competition, would have to be steroids or another performance enhancer.

2 year ban if found true, probably won't ever fight in the UFC again after the damage this causes them.
  • Yeah fair point. The guy is an idiot.
  • Had the potential to go down as the greatest by the time his career was done, such a shame.
  • They don't test for recreational substances out of competition, would have to be steroids or another performance enhancer.

2 year ban if found true, probably won't ever fight in the UFC again after the damage this causes them.

Agreed, he doesn't come across as being unstable enough to get off his face on coke during a training camp particularly when you hear how he talks. Mind you, he has been in trouble before and if you have ever watched the box set 'Kingdom' you would think every MMA fighter was on booze and drugs.