Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

UFC Thread

Comments

• cafctom said:

I know he has been pretty inescapable in the media lately, but I find him a lot more likeable and interesting than someone like Tyson Fury. He does come across as a humble guy who just happens to know how to make a good living.

This thread already demonstrates how people love to pick holes and celebrate a successful person being beaten though.

McGregor busted Diaz open and looked good for half of the fight. Certainly wasn't as one sided as some are making out.

When Diaz started landed in was one way traffic. Why did McGreggor go for a take-down? To avoid a lost by KO? He rolled to his front and tapped pretty quickly.

If you trash talk as much as McGreggor does people will celebrate them recieving their comeuppance.
    At the time I also thought it was odd that he was going to ground, but I suspected it was because he knew he was coming off worse very quickly once the blows started coming in.

McGregor trash talks no more or less than any other big name fighter. He also shows a lot more respect and honesty than most other big name fighters. For me he is the sort of guy who I want to listen to when they start talking, yet I can't say the same about Fury, Mayweather and most certainly not Diaz who comes across with about as much intelligence as a plank of wood.
  • McGreggor is a master of the mind games. Aldo was beaten before the fight started. They're have been few as good as him. It will be interesting to see how he does on that front now his winning streak has been ended. He'll still maintain the Ricky Hatton level support and still be as approachable.

Diaz can be quite funny, yes doesn't come across too bright, especially when McGreggor with lines Ali would be proud off is the other side of the table. A reported asked Nate what's next for him and he said to defend his 145lbs title!

As for stepping up 2 weight classes, RIP Amir Khan!
  • edited March 2016
    People get so carried away thinking a fighter is unbeatable but the UFC is like the Premier League. Anyone can win on the day. So don't believe the hype.

McGregor especially. He was battered round the cage by someone who rolled off the couch and not even talking about this fight. Unconvincing mouthy psycho.
  • Chunes said:

People get so carried away thinking a fighter is unbeatable but the UFC is like the Premier League. Anyone can win on the day. So don't believe the hype.

McGregor especially. He was battered round the cage by someone who rolled off the couch and not even talking about this fight. Unconvincing mouthy psycho.

Cmon, Diaz has been training for a triathlon. It's not like he gets in Ricky Hatton shape between fights.
  • Rematch announced overnight.

McGregor v Diaz at UFC 200.

Seems pretty pointless to me, especially as it's been announced at 170 and not 155 even though Diaz said he was happy to fight at 155. McGregor is obviously trying to prove a point, and i'm not sure he will.

Frankie Edgar v Aldo on the same card should be pretty decent though, especially as their first fight was superb.
  • It'll be quite a win if CM can pull it off, but He lost to Nate at 170 when Nate had 11 days notice and not a full camp, should be interesting to see what happens.
  • Looking forward to Edgar v Aldo more. Will be interesting to see what Aldo is like after such a crushing loss.

Diaz will win again in my opinion, Conor was rocked last time and I can't see that changing this time when a big shot lands.
  • Diaz smashed McGreggor without a full training camp, this is close to career suicide (he'll still be one of there biggest draws but won't generate the same numbers) for McGreggor, very strange.

Pretty sure Edgar beats Aldo, but it will be interesting to see how Aldo does. I think Edgar beats McGreggor but McGreggor has already beaten Aldo before the bell had rung.

Taking of CM, isn't CM Punk due to make his debut at 200?!
  • Absolute joke of a decision from the UFC. I can perhaps just about understand why the rematch but to allow him to keep the FW belt and not surrender it makes everything a farce.

Taking of CM, isn't CM Punk due to make his debut at 200?!

That was the rumour but don't think it has officially been announced. Probably will once prelims are sorted.
  • Won't start a new thread because I don't think ufc is that big a deal on CL.

with 197 fast approaching, do you want Jon Jones or Daniel Cormier to win?
  • Sponsored links:

• Assuming it still goes ahead after Bones' latest escapade.

For me it's difficult. Love Jones as a fighter but he keeps showing what a cretin he is away from the octagon. Cormier I quite like, he can be quite entertaining as a pundit.
  • the UFC are so far up mcgreggors arse its a joke

Shouldn't of got the rematch Diaz will knock him out in the first round
  • McGreggor has failed a steroid test, the fight is off!
    colthe3rd said:

Assuming it still goes ahead after Bones' latest escapade.

For me it's difficult. Love Jones as a fighter but he keeps showing what a cretin he is away from the octagon. Cormier I quite like, he can be quite entertaining as a pundit.

I found it strange how Jon Jones got cheered in the press conference and Cormier booed!
  • Jon Jones all day. He does really need to get a chauffeur though!

UFC 200 looks weak to me with its stupid main event, if it was at 155 I would be slightly more interested. Need to add either Lawler v Condit 2/ GSP or Tate vs Holm/ Rousey to the card.
  • There was talk of GSP v Lawler for UFC 200 as well, which would be incredible. Guessing it didn't go through as I think Mcgregor v Diaz 2 is positioned as the main event.
  • Is that a wind up?
  • Connor out of UFC200 for failing to meet media obligations
  • Been training in Iceland and refused to travel to Vegas for a press conference, which he's contractually obliged to attend. So Dana White pulled him from the event and as a result he's said he's retiring.

Can't believe he'll actually retire though. The guy loves money and he must be turning down a good $10m by not fighting at UFC 200.
  • Hopefully they'll strip him of his title and have a proper main event.

Gracious in defeat.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2016
    If you haven't seen it check out Connor's Facebook or Twitter feed. It's a very good piece.

I am just trying to do my job and fight here. I get paid to fight ... facebook.com/thenotoriousmm…
  • Hard to know what to think about this without knowing all the facts. If he has made a reasonable request as he tries to make out in amongst that whole rant then I can support what he did. However, this would be the first time he hasn't demanded something from the UFC so I have my doubts.

He also has made a complete U turn about the whole "business" side of things. Before the Nate fight he was all willing to tell us how much he loved this business and what a great business man he is, now all of a sudden it's too much, he doesn't like it and it gets in the way of his real love of just fighting.
  • Bottom line ufc created mcgregor and his huge ego, giving him everything he wanted and now finally Dana has stood his ground a bit he spits his dummy out and retires. Wish you the best mcgregor but you are not bigger than the company.
  • colthe3rd said:

Before the Nate fight he was all willing to tell us how much he loved this business and what a great business man he is, now all of a sudden it's too much, he doesn't like it and it gets in the way of his real love of just fighting.

Well if you read his statement he alludes to the suggestion that it was all of those business related duties that made him lose sight of his preparation, and therefore he lost that fight. Now his mindset has changed.
  • cafctom said:

colthe3rd said:

Before the Nate fight he was all willing to tell us how much he loved this business and what a great business man he is, now all of a sudden it's too much, he doesn't like it and it gets in the way of his real love of just fighting.

Well if you read his statement he alludes to the suggestion that it was all of those business related duties that made him lose sight of his preparation, and therefore he lost that fight. Now his mindset has changed.
    He lost because he went to the the floor with a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt.

• Thanks for posting it CA, couldn't do it on my phone. I think he made a lot of valid points, but he is a victim of his own self promotion.

No doubt he has put UFC on the mainstream map more than most through his personality.
  • Thanks for posting it CA, couldn't do it on my phone. I think he made a lot of valid points, but he is a victim of his own self promotion.

No doubt he has put UFC on the mainstream map more than most through his personality.

He may be a victim of his own self promotion, however if it wasn't for him, a lot of people wouldn't have seen a UFC fight. UFC needs him as much as he needs UFC.
  • I think he has a fair point with regard to the PR tours they do, for the Aldo fight he basically did a non-stop global PR tour for months before the fight, it adds a huge burden to the fighter.

I had no interest in MMA before McGregor came along - and may well have none when he leaves - the guy is a superb athlete and salesman and gets them more coverage than any other fighter.

Most fans don't pay to see fighters fight, they pay to see people fight - people they are emotionally invested in - that's the advantage McGregor holds.
  • It is just a shakedown for more money. Mcgregor played his hand then UFC called his bluff. Now he is using his own promo skills to try get himself back on the card by using his fan power.