Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

I said goodbye to The Valley today.

A mate got me a ticket today. I have not been for three years plus, so did not expect to know many of the players but then, the way we played, it was obvious I was not the only one. But enough of the actual football, there are many more insightful people on here to comment on that. I parked up tentatively at the Thames Barrier, walked past grimy scrapyards, down at heel industrial warehouses and the odd car wash, like so many years didn't matter, South East London will always be that. Into Ransom Walk, down under the railway where a nice young lady handed me the un-official match day program. Followed the sweet smell of caramelised onions and burning cow flesh to the club shop and there it was, The Valley. The Valley is the single most constant thing in my life and for so many years. People, wives, beloved ones and jobs have come and gone but this place, The Valley Floyd Road has always been the focal point of my life. It is etched on my psyche, split me in half and The Valley runs through me like the legend in a stick of rock. I walked up to the East Stand turnstiles, swiped my barcoded self-printed ticket (who’d have thought?), just squeezed through the gate and joined my mates who were already inside. Plonked my generous arse on my seat and looked around. I thought of all the family and friends, some long departed, who shared their love for the place with me. My mind raced back to the ground of my youth, I remembered every part of this Valley and I had seen every bit of the new one built, bit by painstaking bit, built by good and committed people. Then to the music, The Red Red Robin blasted out and off we went. Nothing from me about the match as I said above but one thing struck me to the core. I am not going back. No multi-millionaire or foreign conglomerate has paid for this Valley. Success, the little we have had over the years, was sweet, it made me proud to be from this corner of London. I have shouted and screamed myself hoarse, dabbled in a fair bit of tame hooliganism in my youth and seen bonfires light the place up, I am not going back, not while this lot own the club. Seeing as RD is going nowhere that is me I am afraid. As I wandered past the Royal Oak, across the railway crossing and back into the grime towards the Barrier, I was calm, tired and cold but calm. As I drove away into the traffic, I got angry, the bastards, the fucking bastards. These soulless, robotic morons have robbed me and I am angry. Sitting here tonight I am bereaved. Good luck to you all who still go but Charlton Athletic for me, is now on this blog page only. When the Red Red Robin, comes bob bob bobbing along, they’ll be no more sobbing, as he keeps singing his own sweet song…

Comments

• I hope you post again in the not too distant future Soapy when the wankers have gone and we have good Charlton people back at the helm.
    Like you I won't be back until they're gone. My planned sabbatical this season was well timed and is now being extended indefinitely.
  • you have not been for three years and yet you have exemplified your pain perfectly. imagine how we feel who go week in, week out!

these fuckers have destroyed everything.
  • Essex_Al said:

Not another one of these threads!

Could we not have one thread for all those that want to tell us they're not going anymore and you can all hero worship each other on there!

You say you haven't been for three years, so you haven't actually witnessed anything going on at the club until today! A game that apart from some awful defending was one of our best for some while!

Well thank goodness there are still plenty of us that are still going to be there next season even if we are in L1. We're going to be there because we still love our club and will follow the team through thick and thin whatever.

Come on mate, don't beat around the bush, say what you really mean.
  • Essex_Al said:

Could we not have one thread for all those that want to tell us they're not going anymore and you can all hero worship each other on there!

You say you haven't been for three years, so you haven't actually witnessed anything going on at the club until today! A game that apart from some awful defending was one of our best for some while!

Well thank goodness there are still plenty of us that are still going to be there next season even if we are in L1. We're going to be there because we still love our club and will follow the team through thick and thin whatever.

And very good luck to you Essex_Al and the other die hards. I actually enjoyed the game but no comment from me on that today as I said. I am getting into no pissing up the wall contest with you or anyone else about my Charlton credentials. However, I will post on here whenever I want and I will keep up to date with the goings on at the club on here. I will even tolerate your opinion Essex_Al and hope you have many many more years of following Charlton Athletic. Good on you.
  • A mate got me a ticket today. I have not been for three years plus, so did not expect to know many of the players but then, the way we played, it was obvious I was not the only one. But enough of the actual football, there are many more insightful people on here to comment on that. I parked up tentatively at the Thames Barrier, walked past grimy scrapyards, down at heel industrial warehouses and the odd car wash, like so many years didn't matter, South East London will always be that. Into Ransom Walk, down under the railway where a nice young lady handed me the un-official match day program. Followed the sweet smell of caramelised onions and burning cow flesh to the club shop and there it was, The Valley. The Valley is the single most constant thing in my life and for so many years. People, wives, beloved ones and jobs have come and gone but this place, The Valley Floyd Road has always been the focal point of my life. It is etched on my psyche, split me in half and The Valley runs through me like the legend in a stick of rock. I walked up to the East Stand turnstiles, swiped my barcoded self-printed ticket (who’d have thought?), just squeezed through the gate and joined my mates who were already inside. Plonked my generous arse on my seat and looked around. I thought of all the family and friends, some long departed, who shared their love for the place with me. My mind raced back to the ground of my youth, I remembered every part of this Valley and I had seen every bit of the new one built, bit by painstaking bit, built by good and committed people. Then to the music, The Red Red Robin blasted out and off we went. Nothing from me about the match as I said above but one thing struck me to the core. I am not going back. No multi-millionaire or foreign conglomerate has paid for this Valley. Success, the little we have had over the years, was sweet, it made me proud to be from this corner of London. I have shouted and screamed myself hoarse, dabbled in a fair bit of tame hooliganism in my youth and seen bonfires light the place up, I am not going back, not while this lot own the club. Seeing as RD is going nowhere that is me I am afraid. As I wandered past the Royal Oak, across the railway crossing and back into the grime towards the Barrier, I was calm, tired and cold but calm. As I drove away into the traffic, I got angry, the bastards, the fucking bastards. These soulless, robotic morons have robbed me and I am angry. Sitting here tonight I am bereaved. Good luck to you all who still go but Charlton Athletic for me, is now on this blog page only. When the Red Red Robin, comes bob bob bobbing along, they’ll be no more sobbing, as he keeps singing his own sweet song…

Come off it Soapy. You said goodbye to The Valley long before RD turned up.
    Rubbish.
  • Soapy, why write it on here? Write it on a letter and send it to Pinnochio. You don't help our cause putting this here.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2016

A mate got me a ticket today. I have not been for three years plus, so did not expect to know many of the players but then, the way we played, it was obvious I was not the only one. But enough of the actual football, there are many more insightful people on here to comment on that. I parked up tentatively at the Thames Barrier, walked past grimy scrapyards, down at heel industrial warehouses and the odd car wash, like so many years didn't matter, South East London will always be that. Into Ransom Walk, down under the railway where a nice young lady handed me the un-official match day program. Followed the sweet smell of caramelised onions and burning cow flesh to the club shop and there it was, The Valley. The Valley is the single most constant thing in my life and for so many years. People, wives, beloved ones and jobs have come and gone but this place, The Valley Floyd Road has always been the focal point of my life. It is etched on my psyche, split me in half and The Valley runs through me like the legend in a stick of rock. I walked up to the East Stand turnstiles, swiped my barcoded self-printed ticket (who’d have thought?), just squeezed through the gate and joined my mates who were already inside. Plonked my generous arse on my seat and looked around. I thought of all the family and friends, some long departed, who shared their love for the place with me. My mind raced back to the ground of my youth, I remembered every part of this Valley and I had seen every bit of the new one built, bit by painstaking bit, built by good and committed people. Then to the music, The Red Red Robin blasted out and off we went. Nothing from me about the match as I said above but one thing struck me to the core. I am not going back. No multi-millionaire or foreign conglomerate has paid for this Valley. Success, the little we have had over the years, was sweet, it made me proud to be from this corner of London. I have shouted and screamed myself hoarse, dabbled in a fair bit of tame hooliganism in my youth and seen bonfires light the place up, I am not going back, not while this lot own the club. Seeing as RD is going nowhere that is me I am afraid. As I wandered past the Royal Oak, across the railway crossing and back into the grime towards the Barrier, I was calm, tired and cold but calm. As I drove away into the traffic, I got angry, the bastards, the fucking bastards. These soulless, robotic morons have robbed me and I am angry. Sitting here tonight I am bereaved. Good luck to you all who still go but Charlton Athletic for me, is now on this blog page only. When the Red Red Robin, comes bob bob bobbing along, they’ll be no more sobbing, as he keeps singing his own sweet song…

Amazing, full of pride in what you was writing about the valley. I'm 40 I missed the time before the move to sellout park, but have seen the valley grow the the wonderful stadium it is today but it's not being graced by Charlton spirit on the pitch or in the boardroom! I think of the old players that gave that fight and spirit of the past and I'm saddened that it's all gone the soul of our proud club has left, doesn't feel the same as you experienced today only angry fans and players who don't deserve to wear the red shirts or step foot on the valley pitch and an owner and ceo who don't give two sh*ts about us the fans or the clubs wonderful and hardworking past, I agree with and feel your angry I think apart from Colin we all do! Good luck follow lifer
  • Bickering is as big a turn off as the wife in a frogman's suit.

Each to their own, imho.

I was going to post a Thread this morning entitled, "Root Canal Surgery without Anaesthetic or The Valley vs Reading - Tough Call?".

I didn't because, personally, I'm like the Black Night in Monty Python & The Holy Grail - you could cut my arms & legs off and I'd still fight for my Club's survival and show my undying support as best I can - runs through my veins like Blackpool Rock.

I can understand frustration and respect the rights of anyone to stop coming but today was the perfect example of why we have to keep coming back - a CAFC striker scores a rare hat trick at The Valley, we come back from 3-1 down to almost snatch a point and the fans, yes, the CAFC fans were off their seats more than I've seen all season and Katrien WILL HAVE felt the real Valley for one of only a few times - she will have felt the passion and understood much more what we are about, the history and how deep-rooted and community driven this football club is.
  • Oh p.s I would still be going to games but have family commitments at present but as I say good luck Soapy_jones it your life your choice and I forward to reading more of your passionate posts about the valley and club
  • A mate got me a ticket today. I have not been for three years plus, so did not expect to know many of the players but then, the way we played, it was obvious I was not the only one. But enough of the actual football, there are many more insightful people on here to comment on that. I parked up tentatively at the Thames Barrier, walked past grimy scrapyards, down at heel industrial warehouses and the odd car wash, like so many years didn't matter, South East London will always be that. Into Ransom Walk, down under the railway where a nice young lady handed me the un-official match day program. Followed the sweet smell of caramelised onions and burning cow flesh to the club shop and there it was, The Valley. The Valley is the single most constant thing in my life and for so many years. People, wives, beloved ones and jobs have come and gone but this place, The Valley Floyd Road has always been the focal point of my life. It is etched on my psyche, split me in half and The Valley runs through me like the legend in a stick of rock. I walked up to the East Stand turnstiles, swiped my barcoded self-printed ticket (who’d have thought?), just squeezed through the gate and joined my mates who were already inside. Plonked my generous arse on my seat and looked around. I thought of all the family and friends, some long departed, who shared their love for the place with me. My mind raced back to the ground of my youth, I remembered every part of this Valley and I had seen every bit of the new one built, bit by painstaking bit, built by good and committed people. Then to the music, The Red Red Robin blasted out and off we went. Nothing from me about the match as I said above but one thing struck me to the core. I am not going back. No multi-millionaire or foreign conglomerate has paid for this Valley. Success, the little we have had over the years, was sweet, it made me proud to be from this corner of London. I have shouted and screamed myself hoarse, dabbled in a fair bit of tame hooliganism in my youth and seen bonfires light the place up, I am not going back, not while this lot own the club. Seeing as RD is going nowhere that is me I am afraid. As I wandered past the Royal Oak, across the railway crossing and back into the grime towards the Barrier, I was calm, tired and cold but calm. As I drove away into the traffic, I got angry, the bastards, the fucking bastards. These soulless, robotic morons have robbed me and I am angry. Sitting here tonight I am bereaved. Good luck to you all who still go but Charlton Athletic for me, is now on this blog page only. When the Red Red Robin, comes bob bob bobbing along, they’ll be no more sobbing, as he keeps singing his own sweet song…

Come off it Soapy. You said goodbye to The Valley long before RD turned up.
    Rubbish.
    Redskin said:

Of all the self - pitying/ I'm a victim of the regime threads on here this takes the biscuit.
    You haven't even been for three years and yet you're 'bereaved' and have been 'robbed'.
    Come off it.

Redskin, Charlton fans come in all shapes, sizes and sensibilities. That is how I feel, that is what I wrote. No apologies from me for writing it. You have a problem with it that is ok as well. There are good reasons why I haven't been in 3 years but so what. You carry on mate.
  • Fuck that, your last match was when Powell was around and we were beating the likes of Watford on NYD, under Slater and Jiminez, you watch one match under RD and you've decided that's it for you and this forum is your only Charlton related medium? So absolutely fuck all about your support in the past 3 years has changed then, and you feel the need to start a whole new thread to proclaim this?

What utter fucking bollocks
  • Sponsored links:

• How dare a Charlton fan write his feelings about Charlton on a Charlton forum. The fucking audacity!!! This is a place for political bollocks and Rip threads only.

And whose rack
  • I thought that was a really good post @soapy_jones - very well written, and pretty emotive too.

Personally I'm a younger fan and my passion for Charlton doesn't go back as far as most members on here - but I'd like to think that does nothing to tarnish my opinion as a supporter, nor to diminish my right to voice my opinion. With that in mind, I don't think your absence diminishes your view either.

That said, my commitment the last few months has been bigger than in a while - despite not purchasing a season ticket this season I've attended nearly every match, partly (in a sick and perverse sort of way) to be able to voice my displeasure after the match. For the first time since 2012 it feels like there's some unity with a large chunk of the supporters, albeit unity in very dire circumstances.

Today however, I took a much needed break - and despite missing what sounds like a brilliant match - I think my visits to The Valley this season are finished. I may make another away trip or two though, but the experience of SE7 has sadly become a bit too frustrating to continue being a fortnightly occurrence.
  • Essex_Al said:

Fair call, well said.

Could someone, maybe you "Essex Al" start a thread telling us who will be going next season ?
  • People can support Charlton without going to every game. I go to far fewer than of old - distance, family, cost etc - but makes me no less of a fan.

I've been to 2 games this season. .....
  • People can support Charlton without going to every game. I go to far fewer than of old - distance, family, cost etc - but makes me no less of a fan.

I've been to 2 games this season. .....
    ............. plus one in Belgium!