Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

I said goodbye to The Valley today.

2»

Comments

• edited February 2016
    I enjoyed reading your piece and could identify with your emotions.
    For your own personal reasons you stopped going to The Valley BUT, you never stopped being a FAN.
    Many of us cannot attend the ground as regularly as before, life moves on and circumstances change, but we never stop being a fan and this valued forum keeps us in touch and still allows us a voice to stay involved.
    I feel very sure you, like a lot of other long-standing fans, will return (circumstances permitting) to SE7 regularly again when our beloved CAFC is back in proper "footballing" hands.
  • iamdan said:

Just a blip in our history mate, we'll be back.

This is definitely true , even if we have to be in league 1 or 2 to do it
  • How dare a Charlton fan write his feelings about Charlton on a Charlton forum. The fucking audacity!!! This is a place for political bollocks and Rip threads only.

And whose rack
    RIP

• edited February 2016
    Essex_Al said:

Not another one of these threads!

If it bothers you so much can I suggest you don't open threads with titles like, 'I said goodbye to the valley today'.
  • Soapy after the Fulham surrender myself and a few mates said we only meet half a dozen times at footie these days(all together that is) so it dont matter what level of football Charlton are in we will meet up anyway.

Its part of you--always will be.

Southend,Fleetwood,Blackpool, etc bring em on

Here before Roland and after he has gone
  • edited February 2016
    Are you going to stop going to watch Blackheath Rugby in Protest when they move ground Soapy ?

Or are you only sentimental over CAFC ?
  • purdis said:

Bickering is as big a turn off as the wife in a frogman's suit.

Each to their own, imho.

I was going to post a Thread this morning entitled, "Root Canal Surgery without Anaesthetic or The Valley vs Reading - Tough Call?".

I didn't because, personally, I'm like the Black Night in Monty Python & The Holy Grail - you could cut my arms & legs off and I'd still fight for my Club's survival and show my undying support as best I can - runs through my veins like Blackpool Rock.

I can understand frustration and respect the rights of anyone to stop coming but today was the perfect example of why we have to keep coming back - a CAFC striker scores a rare hat trick at The Valley, we come back from 3-1 down to almost snatch a point and the fans, yes, the CAFC fans were off their seats more than I've seen all season and Katrien WILL HAVE felt the real Valley for one of only a few times - she will have felt the passion and understood much more what we are about, the history and how deep-rooted and community driven this football club is.

Oh - that's where I've been going wrong then. If only Mr Tatters had said something earlier.....

Tonight will be different. I've still got my Pinocchio outfit..
    Make sure you keep the nose under control and only tell the truth or Mr Tatters could end up ....in tatters.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2016

I agree the OP was well written and emotive. However, as Soapy said he has not been for three years before today, I can't see how RD can get the blame for that. If you didn't go for a year before RD "bought" us, I presume you didn't want to go then either? Those of us who have suffered these past two years can hold him responsible, but not a fan who gave up a year previously.

I understand the logic of what you say.

Soapy, as his erudite post clearly demonstrates, can speak for himself if he wishes to elaborate so all I'll say is that I think it could well have been health reasons, at least in part,that kept him away rather than simply "not wanting to go."

He has returned to find his Club almost unrecognisable from what it was and is reacting accordingly.

I can understand that as a season ticket holder that has attended a reasonable number of games this season albeit also missing some myself, including yesterday, for health and other personal reasons.

The point to draw from Soapy's post is that a customer in a restaurant wouldn't be so 'weird', to paraphrase the fragrant CEO, as to write an emotional piece about that restaurant if he hadn't been for 3 years.

Soapy articulates very well the whole raison d'etre (that's to try and help you understand Katrien) behind the protests.
  • Are you going to stop going to watch Blackheath Rugby in Protest when they move ground Soapy ?

Bloody hell what a shit storm!

Go to The Club because two good mates and their 92 year old Dad are hard core. I used to play Rugby and enjoy it. Well Hall? not for me, and old Fred is now too frail, so I am taking up cross stitch and doing some interesting art work with macaroni.

If you would like to comission a piece let me know SBS, I will even deliver it personally?
  • A mate got me a ticket today. I have not been for three years plus, so did not expect to know many of the players but then, the way we played, it was obvious I was not the only one. But enough of the actual football, there are many more insightful people on here to comment on that. I parked up tentatively at the Thames Barrier, walked past grimy scrapyards, down at heel industrial warehouses and the odd car wash, like so many years didn't matter, South East London will always be that. Into Ransom Walk, down under the railway where a nice young lady handed me the un-official match day program. Followed the sweet smell of caramelised onions and burning cow flesh to the club shop and there it was, The Valley. The Valley is the single most constant thing in my life and for so many years. People, wives, beloved ones and jobs have come and gone but this place, The Valley Floyd Road has always been the focal point of my life. It is etched on my psyche, split me in half and The Valley runs through me like the legend in a stick of rock. I walked up to the East Stand turnstiles, swiped my barcoded self-printed ticket (who’d have thought?), just squeezed through the gate and joined my mates who were already inside. Plonked my generous arse on my seat and looked around. I thought of all the family and friends, some long departed, who shared their love for the place with me. My mind raced back to the ground of my youth, I remembered every part of this Valley and I had seen every bit of the new one built, bit by painstaking bit, built by good and committed people. Then to the music, The Red Red Robin blasted out and off we went. Nothing from me about the match as I said above but one thing struck me to the core. I am not going back. No multi-millionaire or foreign conglomerate has paid for this Valley. Success, the little we have had over the years, was sweet, it made me proud to be from this corner of London. I have shouted and screamed myself hoarse, dabbled in a fair bit of tame hooliganism in my youth and seen bonfires light the place up, I am not going back, not while this lot own the club. Seeing as RD is going nowhere that is me I am afraid. As I wandered past the Royal Oak, across the railway crossing and back into the grime towards the Barrier, I was calm, tired and cold but calm. As I drove away into the traffic, I got angry, the bastards, the fucking bastards. These soulless, robotic morons have robbed me and I am angry. Sitting here tonight I am bereaved. Good luck to you all who still go but Charlton Athletic for me, is now on this blog page only. When the Red Red Robin, comes bob bob bobbing along, they’ll be no more sobbing, as he keeps singing his own sweet song…

You'll have your "generous a***" back on that seat once they've gone, it's in your blood.
  • Essex_Al said:

Could we not have one thread for all those that want to tell us they're not going anymore and you can all hero worship each other on there!

You say you haven't been for three years, so you haven't actually witnessed anything going on at the club until today! A game that apart from some awful defending was one of our best for some while!

Well thank goodness there are still plenty of us that are still going to be there next season even if we are in L1. We're going to be there because we still love our club and will follow the team through thick and thin whatever.

Fair call, well said.

Could someone, maybe you "Essex Al" start a thread telling us who will be going next season ?
    That might stretch to two pages.
  • edited February 2016

Are you going to stop going to watch Blackheath Rugby in Protest when they move ground Soapy ?

Bloody hell what a shit storm!

Go to The Club because two good mates and their 92 year old Dad are hard core. I used to play Rugby and enjoy it. Well Hall? not for me, and old Fred is now too frail, so I am taking up cross stitch and doing some interesting art work with macaroni.

If you would like to comission a piece let me know SBS, I will even deliver it personally?
    Good lad soapy,
    I knew you were artistic, and don't forget, don't lose your thread.
    The thing is, the rest of us are battling for today and making sure we have a future.

The past and the Museum will all we have left soon if we don't win the 15 round battle on points against Duchatelet.
  • Uboat said:

Essex_Al said:

If it bothers you so much can I suggest you don't open threads with titles like, 'I said goodbye to the valley today'.
    The title could have meant anything, may have been someone moving abroad or such like, instead it was yet another 'that's it I'm done' thread from someone who hasn't been for three years expecting all his other non attending buddies to give him sympathy and a pat on the back!
  • Always welcome back at the "Stade de Rock" @soapy_jones . The "best part-time team in Scotland" TM humbled the mighty Hibs 3-2 yesterday while I was watching a Charlton legend putting 2 past a non-existent defence yesterday at The Valley. I'd say you are fair scunnered now, but hopefully that's just temporary
  • CAFCTrev said:

Root Canal Surgery without Anaesthetic - Charlton Athletic Season Tickets 16/17

fixed that for you.

• No one knows why he ain't been in 3 years. Bloke might have done 30 years solid before that.

This. People just love having a pop at others without knowing the facts, soapy will have his reasons for not attending.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

CAFCTrev said:

Root Canal Surgery without Anaesthetic - Charlton Athletic Season Tickets 16/17

fixed that for you.

Funny you should post that as one of my mates went to the dentist yesterday rather than go to Charlton..he's a season ticket holder who won't be renewing next season.
  • Blimey, I can't believe people having a pop at Soapy for his opening post. He's come on here as a lifelong Charlton fan, told his story and how he feels and people are moaning because he openly said that he hadn't been to The Valley in three years. WTF? We ought to be digging out the owner who doesn't attend, not fans. It's especially ironic at a time when people are calling for a season ticket boycott.

For those that have discounted Soapy's post on the grounds of his recent non-attendance, can you tell me what the cut-off point is at which you stop taking people seriously?
  • edited February 2016
    Stig said:

Blimey, I can't believe people having a pop at Soapy for his opening post. He's come on here as a lifelong Charlton fan, told his story and how he feels and people are moaning because he openly said that he hadn't been to The Valley in three years. WTF? We ought to be digging out the owner who doesn't attend, not fans. It's especially ironic at a time when people are calling for a season ticket boycott.

For those that have discounted Soapy's post on the grounds of his recent non-attendance, can you tell me what the cut-off point is at which you stop taking people seriously?

Every 4 managers.

• Do we honestly believe all fans are the same.
    Yesterday was my first in two years no way am I in the same league as a load of mates who have gone week in week out for the past 20-30 years.
    I done my bit years ago 65 so grounds but fellow comrades who have done theabove yes they are more of a supporter than me.
  • Essex_Al said:

Uboat said:

Essex_Al said:

The title could have meant anything, may have been someone moving abroad or such like, instead it was yet another 'that's it I'm done' thread from someone who hasn't been for three years expecting all his other non attending buddies to give him sympathy and a pat on the back!
    You're proper Charlton, we get it.
    Great banter mate!
  • I've been handfull of times in the last four years ever since my kids were born. Only time I've seen is this season was a pre season against Chelmsford where I live... Whilst I'm less of a fan than someone who goes home and away doesn't mean I cant fully support the club and be mega pee'd off at the regime... So why have a go at Soapy? Really need to direct all the bile where it belongs
  • McBobbin said:

I've been handfull of times in the last four years ever since my kids were born. Only time I've seen is this season was a pre season against Chelmsford where I live... Whilst I'm less of a fan than someone who goes home and away doesn't mean I cant fully support the club and be mega pee'd off at the regime... So why have a go at Soapy? Really need to direct all the bile where it belongs

Because he's boycotting going even though he was seemingly boycotting them a year before the regime bought us and all whilst making a song and dance about it.
  • McBobbin said:

I've been handfull of times in the last four years ever since my kids were born. Only time I've seen is this season was a pre season against Chelmsford where I live... Whilst I'm less of a fan than someone who goes home and away doesn't mean I cant fully support the club and be mega pee'd off at the regime... So why have a go at Soapy? Really need to direct all the bile where it belongs

Because he's boycotting going even though he was seemingly boycotting them a year before the regime bought us and all whilst making a song and dance about it.
    There's boycotting and not going for other reasons ok it was bit self pitying..