Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Barca v Celta Vigo

Sorry if posted elsewhere......but did anyone see this last night?

I was wondering if there was some kind of history between the teams as Barca were like a cat playing with an injured bird.

I know football is meant to be entertaining but I thought that some of the showboating on display was disrespectful.

The penalty especially was a pisstake when you're 3-1 up with 8 minutes to go......plus it shouldn't have stood as Suarez was about 2 yards in the area when Messi touched it.

Comments

• I've only seen images of the penalty but maybe they should change the law to say that the ball must hit the Goalkeeper / woodwork before the team taking the penalty can touch the ball again
  • I've only seen images of the penalty but maybe they should change the law to say that the ball must hit the Goalkeeper / woodwork before the team taking the penalty can touch the ball again

The penalty taker can't touch the ball for a second time unless it's comes off another player.

The penalty taker can't touch the ball for a second time unless it's comes off another player.
    Yeah but you could say that he can touch the ball after receiving the ball back from Suarez, whereas my suggested rule change would mean that the penalty taker cant touch the ball for a second time unless it comes off the opposition player.
  • Sorry if posted elsewhere......but did anyone see this last night?

I was wondering if there was some kind of history between the teams as Barca were like a cat playing with an injured bird.

I know football is meant to be entertaining but I thought that some of the showboating on display was disrespectful.

The penalty especially was a pisstake when you're 3-1 up with 8 minutes to go......plus it shouldn't have stood as Suarez was about 2 yards in the area when Messi touched it.

I understand Barca were looking for 'revenge' as Celta Vigo had the audacity to beat them in their last two meetings - 4-1 last time, I believe.
  • edited February 2016
    Here's the penalty.

https://streamable.com/1ora
  • Disrespectful in my opinion. Showboating is 1 thing, but that's just arrogance

I agree. If goofy bollocks is on a hat-trick - just let him take the bloody penalty !
  • Disrespectful in my opinion. Showboating is 1 thing, but that's just arrogance

Its like an occasion when Nani ran down the wing for Man Utd basically doing keepy uppies... Cant remember who they were playing but the opposition player just ran over and wiped him out, referee didnt even book their player because of the showboating.
  • Sponsored links:

• As was mentioned in the other thread, it goes down as a missed penalty by Messi, which I find quite funny.
    He's often referred to as being superhuman or alien in his footballing abilities, but his penalty record is shockingly bad; he misses roughly 20% of the time.
  • Was it Graham Stuart and Kish who smashed Ronaldo up in n the air when he was showboating at the Valley?
  • Johan Cruyff was one of the first to take a penalty like this. I understand that the Barca penalty was by way of tribute.

Yes it's showboating. But there's nothing outside the laws of the game.

Don't we go to football matches to be entertained?

Its like an occasion when Nani ran down the wing for Man Utd basically doing keepy uppies... Cant remember who they were playing but the opposition player just ran over and wiped him out, referee didnt even book their player because of the showboating.
    Arsenal.
  • blimey, I thought our inability to score was because we are crap but in effect we are just toying with our opponents and actually can score when we want, just that we don't want to (except Rotherham away)
  • Probably better if the same rules for shoot outs applied to all penalties.

Other players in centre circle. No second chance if goalie saves. Game restarted with a goal kick if the first attempt does not end up in the goal.

Makes life much easier and we wouldn't have to worry encroachment which is always broken and theoretically makes every penalty goal or save invalid.
  • Was it Graham Stuart and Kish who smashed Ronaldo up in n the air when he was showboating at the Valley?

Those were the days. I think Kish got booked on something like his 400th foul.
  • Watched every minute of the second half and it was fantastic to watch. Some of their football was breath-taking. The build-up play between MSN + Iniesta is certainly the best I've seen in my lifetime.

Disagree with the opinions above on showboating. Enjoy watching it. If you've got it, flaunt it. The flick over the head of the defender from Neymar was outrageous.
  • Not sure what all the fuss is about, it's nothing that Bergdich and Fox couldn't do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not sure what all the fuss is about, it's nothing that Bergdich and Fox couldn't do.

You've got time to delete this post before your ridiculed you know?
  • I live here up the coast from Barcelona, and the press is full of what a great second half they turned in. No mention of revenge, but the Catalans are very happy today, and the penalty was regarded as 'well worked'. I'm not a fan of them, and while you have to admit that they have the skill to do that to opponents at times, that match they seemed to want to rub Celta's nose in the Brown stuff. Arrogant tossers!
  • I dont mind the showboating as such which is showing off your skills, but thought this was bit of a pisstake - saying, we dont even need to have a free shot at your goal.

Would they have done it when 1-0 down against Madrid ?
  • It was entertaining, If they're good enough to do it let them, I wouldn't want them to just play keep ball after they go 3-1 up just so they're not accused of showboating!
  • edited February 2016
    Disgusting. Would love to have seen a couple of the certa players lamp messi and Suarez

Stupid question but I assume it's goes down as a missed penalty?

Edit: just seen a previous post abou it being a missed pen.
  • I would honestly find it more entertaining if it was smashed top left like a Shearer pen. Its not great watching something that is so c*ntish that the other team don't event expect it.
  • Nothing wrong with showboating but that is just being disrespectful, if Messi wished for Suarez to get the goal then let him take the penalty.
  • It's not disrespectful, they earned the chance to do something different by having the lead they had, If a celta player beats Suarez to the ball then Barca look silly, and I don't want to have the best team in the world not try new things or switch off when they have a 2/3 goal lead in case people see them as disrespectful.
  • Arrogant, disrespectful, not big, not clever. Fits into the buffoonery/Muppetry category
  • Seen here as disrespectful to take the piss so much (well at least in the Madrid press) especially as Celta Vigo are where Luis Enrique made his name as a manager before getting the Barcelona job.