Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Barca v Celta Vigo

13»

Comments

• Options
    For me, this just falls into the showboating category, and I wouldn't call a nutmeg disrespectful so I wouldn't say this is either. Sorry @SuedeAdidas !
  • Options

IA said:

Is passing the ball from a penalty "showboating"?

Crap entertainment.

Certainly isn't showboating. If people think it's entertainment, then they are easily pleased. Passing from a penalty is something anybody can do. Showboating is something (in my opinion) that requires a bit of skill and is something that puts punters in the edge of their seat.
    But Pires and Henry tried it and got it wrong, so it isn't something that anybody can do.
    And somebody watching the Messi penalty for the first time could conceivably have thought he scuffed it at first = punters on the edges of seats.

We're obviously not going to agree on this. I've never fully understood the 'disrespect' angle - I guess when I was younger, somebody doing something skillful and unexpected was admirable. I still see it that way.
    I've got a different definition of "skillful" from yours.
  • Options

Yeah - that is......because they were trying to take the piss and ended up making themselves look like wankers.

Which is what will sometimes happen when someone tries the pass penalty, therefore it is entertaining.
    Or.....they could just take the penalty properly which is entertaining regardless of the outcome.
    We have different opinions, but the most entertaining penalty to me is when a non-Charlton player spectacularly misses. Baggio, Puncheon, Kermogrant and the very under rated Phil Jones one against Sunderland where he didn't even kick the ball like a professional player. :smile:

Althought they both scored, the standing foot and spinning penalty were both fantastic!
  • Options
    edited February 2016

IA said:

Is passing the ball from a penalty "showboating"?

Crap entertainment.

Certainly isn't showboating. If people think it's entertainment, then they are easily pleased. Passing from a penalty is something anybody can do. Showboating is something (in my opinion) that requires a bit of skill and is something that puts punters in the edge of their seat.
    But Pires and Henry tried it and got it wrong, so it isn't something that anybody can do.
    And somebody watching the Messi penalty for the first time could conceivably have thought he scuffed it at first = punters on the edges of seats.

We're obviously not going to agree on this. I've never fully understood the 'disrespect' angle - I guess when I was younger, somebody doing something skillful and unexpected was admirable. I still see it that way.
    If you continue like this i'm going to file for divorce. At the very least you're sleeping on the sofa tonight.

Anybody can pass from the penalty.