Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Naby Sarr - gone to Reading, scored the winner against Millwall at the Den (p13)

Comments

• sam3110 said:

Better than Lennon in the past couple of games, but hey he's not an academy product and he was signed in the RD era so everything he does is shit and he's a liability, nicking a living and all the rest of it

Yawn

Thing is, Lennon wasn't signed for £1.4m was he? Lennon wasn't signed to replace the likes of Morrison, Dervite, Ben Haim, Johnson and Gomez. Lennon has been thrown in a bit too early and he's struggling but Sarr was brought in for decent money earned by selling decent players specifically to plug a gap in our defence and he's failed at his role. Here we are, second from bottom in the league, leaking goals, but yeah, you're right, we're not criticising different players similarly enough for your liking. It's all a conspiracy. Yawn.
    Thought when we signed Sarr, was one for the future. But I may be wrong. Also Sarr didn't set the price for his transfer.
  • No Konsa is a Centre Half.
  • sam3110 said:

Better than Lennon in the past couple of games, but hey he's not an academy product and he was signed in the RD era so everything he does is shit and he's a liability, nicking a living and all the rest of it

Yawn

Thing is, Lennon wasn't signed for £1.4m was he? Lennon wasn't signed to replace the likes of Morrison, Dervite, Ben Haim, Johnson and Gomez. Lennon has been thrown in a bit too early and he's struggling but Sarr was brought in for decent money earned by selling decent players specifically to plug a gap in our defence and he's failed at his role. Here we are, second from bottom in the league, leaking goals, but yeah, you're right, we're not criticising different players similarly enough for your liking. It's all a conspiracy. Yawn.
    Thought when we signed Sarr, was one for the future. But I may be wrong. Also Sarr didn't set the price for his transfer.
    No-one said he did set the price for his transfer. Doesn't change the fact that the expectation on an expensive player is greater than it is on an Academy player, which is the point I was answering. Sarr was hardly one for the future when the season started with us having two centre halves, including Sarr, and a holding midfielder covering at the back. Maybe Sarr's a victim of our terrible squad building but it doesn't stop him from being a liability at the moment
  • How many of Sarr's errors have directly resulted in goals, though? Can only think of Wednesday and we won that one 3-1
  • Might look good if we get relegated. Not up it at this level.
  • Might look good if we get relegated. Not up it at this level.

He'd probably be worse against physical lower division strikers...
  • Tutt-Tutt nailed it.

Composure.

When he makes a mistake or getts rattled, his game falls away from him.

There's a ball playing CB in there - but he must develop a stronger mentality.
    As others have said, needs an experienced CB beside him.

• I don't think he needs an experienced centre half alongside him. His mistakes are not really due to positioning they are down to poor choices or poor technique.

• Sponsored links:

• JaShea99 said:

There's possibly a player in there. He wasn't outstanding. He reminds me of Jorge Costa with that ability to make the simple complicated, and that knack for continually getting the wrong side of the attacker.

Possibly the most bizarre comparison on CL ever. European Cup winner Costa and Naby Sarr?
    But he wasn't a European cup winner with us was he? He was at the end of his career and as good as he was, he had that awkward style and frequently over complicated simple tasks. Like Sarr.
  • Did well today. Great block of a goal-bound shot in the 2nd half and passed the ball well.
  • JaShea99 said:

JaShea99 said:

There's possibly a player in there. He wasn't outstanding. He reminds me of Jorge Costa with that ability to make the simple complicated, and that knack for continually getting the wrong side of the attacker.

Possibly the most bizarre comparison on CL ever. European Cup winner Costa and Naby Sarr?
    But he wasn't a European cup winner with us was he? He was at the end of his career and as good as he was, he had that awkward style and frequently over complicated simple tasks. Like Sarr.
    I let your leaving junk food on the tables nonsense slide mate but with that post you are confirming to the world you are a mug :smile:
  • What? What part of that makes me a mug?
  • colin1961 said:

Considering the age of the two centre backs both done excellent .....
    Sarr is going to be an international defender highly fault off in the French set up

Ok Colin.
  • JaShea99 said:

JaShea99 said:

You know he won the European Cup AFTER he played for us, right?
  • Yes. What's your point?
  • Due to bad recruitment and General bad running of the club we have 2 inexperienced cbs playing together, can't be easy for them.
    I do think he could be a very good player, sadly it might be not at a club who have a manager out of his depth backed by a board just as bad.
  • Roger Johnson could play a big part in the development of Sarr / Lennon and Fox for the rest of the season.

The form of Fox picked up this time last season was because Johnson was forever talking and guiding him through matches
  • Sponsored links:

• Due to bad recruitment and General bad running of the club we have 2 inexperienced cbs playing together, can't be easy for them.
    I do think he could be a very good player, sadly it might be not at a club who have a manager out of his depth backed by a board just as bad.

Two left footed inexperienced Centre Backs. We can't even balance it up FFS!
  • Definitely improving. Sometimes good. Sometimes alarmingly out of touch. Worth persevering with.
  • JaShea99 said:

Yes. What's your point?

That he wasn't at the end of his career when he was with us, despite you claiming he was

He went on to win the UEFA cup and the European Cup after he was with us.

So his spell at the Valley wasn't really the end was it

• Right but end/beginning for whatever reason he didn't play like a UEFA cup/Champions League winner with us did he? I don't even know why this is being debated, it's an observation. Naby Sarr is not hopeless, he is an ok player who will become a good player if he can lose the propensity for a mistake, stop getting the wrong side of strikers and stop letting the ball bounce in the box. This reminded me of Jorge Costa's tendency to get into awkward positions, have communication problems with Kiely and once again, make a mountain out of a molehill. There are probably dissimilarities between the two players as well, but Sarr's most striking features are the above ones.
  • edited January 2016

Are you pissed ? Jorge Costa and Nabby Sar in the same sentence!!!

Well, "Naby Sarr is no Jorge Costa" might work :-) [And I'm agreeing with GH again, this is getting too damn weird :-) ]
  • Are you pissed ? Jorge Costa and Nabby Sar in the same sentence!!!

Costa probably the best centre half seen at the Valley . Captain of Portugal over 50 times champions league winner against Nabby Sar !

You might get a job with RD as a scout

Agreed. Sarr reminds me of Sakho of Liverpool, or the poor man's version thereof
  • I though Sarr was poor in the second half and nearly cost us at least twice when he was too slow to a ball he really should of dealt with.
    As for the comparison with Jorge, he was amazing in his couple of months with us and although he was slow the fella could read a game and got him out of trouble. he helped Rufus and Fortune a lot and thy formed a great back line, I believe we even drew 0-0 at Old Trafford in his last game with us.
  • He's inexperienced but made one superb block and a fair few interceptions.
    He also passes it well and doesn't always do the simple thing

There were errors but someone like Johnson or Williams guiding him could prove invaluable

I still rate him highly and think we should persevere
  • edited January 2016
    Thought he was an absolute liability today. Lennon covered him on two occasions I can remember. The highlight was when he headed clear but just straight up in the air, managed to head it clear again, but straight up in the air again then mis kicked it so their player got a chance on our goal. If Forest had half good strikers they would have demolished him.