Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Danny Murphy article on Fulham in ES tonight

I read the article in the Evening Standard tonight about Fulham's decline. Murphy basically said that the decline was set in place 2 years ago when they released a number of good players. This may be true. But he then went onto say that the offer of his new contract was way below what was already an 'average wage'. I find this astounding on a number of levels.

One, even the average weekly wage in the Premiership is more than most of us hope to make in a year. Now I don't know what he was on at the time, and it may have been an 'insulting' offer below an 'average wage' at the time, but for God's sake man, think about what you are saying. No modern day footballer who has played in the Premiership should be making any complaints about money. Comparatively he's got to get real here. I'm sure he didn't think about it at the time, but not good.

Also, if you want to think about it in football terms, he was 35 at the time. What did he expect? He did well for Fulham, but when you get to that age it is hard for many good players to still compete.

He comes across quite well on MOTD but this comment really annoyed me.

Comments

• cabbles said:

I read the article in the Evening Standard tonight about Fulham's decline. Murphy basically said that the decline was set in place 2 years ago when they released a number of good players. This may be true. But he then went onto say that the offer of his new contract was way below what was already an 'average wage'. I find this astounding on a number of levels.

One, even the average weekly wage in the Premiership is more than most of us hope to make in a year. Now I don't know what he was on at the time, and it may have been an 'insulting' offer below an 'average wage' at the time, but for God's sake man, think about what you are saying. No modern day footballer who has played in the Premiership should be making any complaints about money. Comparatively he's got to get real here. I'm sure he didn't think about it at the time, but not good.

Also, if you want to think about it in football terms, he was 35 at the time. What did he expect? He did well for Fulham, but when you get to that age it is hard for many good players to still compete.

you do anything that makes another adult cry then you're a piece of shit. That's what i'll always think of Danny Murphy as a piece of shit
  • cabbles said:

you do anything that makes another adult cry then you're a piece of shit. That's what i'll always think of Danny Murphy as a piece of shit
    I must've missed this, who are you talking about?
  • I still have never forgotten how he deliberately got sent off while playing for us
  • cabbles said:

cabbles said:

wasnt there a story that he made a woman cry at the club by saying his watch cost more than what she earns in a year or something pathetic like that.

• ross1 said:

I still have never forgotten how he deliberately got sent off while playing for us

Wasn't that Danny Mills?
  • ross1 said:

I still have never forgotten how he deliberately got sent off while playing for us

Wasn't that Danny Mills?
    No, he had already been booked, then he got a foul against him and he threw the ball away in temper, knowing it was another booking. I can't remember what was going on, I believe he had fallen out with Curbs
  • Hmmm, that is remarkably similar to the Danny Mills story....
  • ross1 said:

was it just before Xmas?
  • Thank you CAFC, beginning to doubt my memory
  • Sponsored links:

• Macronate said:

ross1 said:

was it just before Xmas?
    Close! Boxing Day 2005

http://www.footballdatabase.eu/football.match.charlton.arsenal.22836.en.html

Danny Mills was almost 2 years later when he was sent off v Hull and banned for the last 2 games of his loan spell...nice Christmas and New Year at home for him though!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2329298/Danny-Mills-up-to-old-tricks-for-Charlton.html
  • TelMc32 said:

Macronate said:

ross1 said:

was it just before Xmas?
    Close! Boxing Day 2005

Danny Mills was almost 2 years later when he was sent off v Hull and banned for the last 2 games of his loan spell...nice Christmas and New Year at home for him though!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2329298/Danny-Mills-up-to-old-tricks-for-Charlton.html
    Now on the panel of FA 'how we going to turn English football around'

Ethics and integrity high up on the pre-requisites for members then.

I remember this too. Blatantly fancied remainder of Xmas holiday off.
  • cabbles said:

cabbles said:

The story I heard is as follows:

Murphy had the hump one evening and as he walked out of the main reception asked the receptionist something (I don't know what). She didn't know the answer so he basically had a foul mouthed rude obnoxious disgusting rant at her.

I heard this from someone who said they were in earshot of this at the time. Whether he ever apologised or not I have no idea.
  • Danny Murphy in talking bollox shock
  • edited September 2014
    TelMc32 said:

Macronate said:

ross1 said:

was it just before Xmas?
    Close! Boxing Day 2005

"Vicious kick from Bryan Hughes...." That must've hurt.
  • When we saw him play against us for Blackburn after he left Fulham he was absolute dog turd. Clearly even slower than he had ever been and just a wandering statue.

The fact he still thinks he was average premiership material goes to show how deluded and much of a joke he really is.

He isn't the worst at analysing the games but as soon as I hear what the skidmark "suffered" whilst being a footballer it enrages me.
  • As I remember it he was always going on about money. In one of his wife's pieces in The Times (I think) she said she went to pick up one of his bags and he said,'You won't be able to lift that. It's got my paycheck in it'. Little scrote.
  • There is a systematic, well random campaign to blame the demise of Fulham on Al Fayed. That would be the same as blaming Curbishley for the demise of CAFC! Al Fayed wasn't there the season they got relegated and he isn't there now as they prop up the Championship.
    They need someone to rescue them, someone who has proven themselves in a relegation struggle... Jose Riga?!
  • edited September 2015
    From Danny Murphy himself on the BBC deadline day feed, possibly when he was with us?

"Regarding the Saido Berahino situation, I've been in this position myself. I didn't go public in the way that Berahino has done, but I have said something similar to a chairman in a huff, about not wanting to play for a certain club again. And in the end, I did get my move. I don't know if I'd have been able to follow it through by refusing to play. But I don't regret saying it, because I wouldn't have got that move otherwise.

"I didn't play for that club again, and I was made to sign a form when I left that I wouldn't talk about what happened. But because I've been through it, I've been very reluctant to cane Berahino."
  • Sponsored links:

• most definitely us. Should've let him rot.
  • Just demonstrates his conceit that he believed that as a player whose abilities were fading and couldn't manage a full season ( he hardly set things alight in his 33 games with Blackburn in the Championship the following season when they finished 17th) that he felt that he deserved above the average for the Premiership.
  • edited September 2015
    Simonsen said:

TelMc32 said:

Macronate said:

ross1 said:

was it just before Xmas?
    Close! Boxing Day 2005

"Vicious kick from Bryan Hughes...." That must've hurt.

The "shadow" never got near enough to an opponent to kick them
  • West2003 said:

From Danny Murphy himself on the BBC deadline day feed, possibly when he was with us?

"Regarding the Saido Berahino situation, I've been in this position myself. I didn't go public in the way that Berahino has done, but I have said something similar to a chairman in a huff, about not wanting to play for a certain club again. And in the end, I did get my move. I don't know if I'd have been able to follow it through by refusing to play. But I don't regret saying it, because I wouldn't have got that move otherwise.

"I didn't play for that club again, and I was made to sign a form when I left that I wouldn't talk about what happened. But because I've been through it, I've been very reluctant to cane Berahino."

• I liked watching Murphy when he signed for us, it wasn't his fault our system got sussed but, and this is a big but. In my eyes he refused to turn up when curbs played him in the middle in a role that meant he had to graft (442) or as a narrow right midfielder (a position david Beckham made, but cultured by Graham stuart) if he wasn't played with grafters behind him he put hardly any effort into anything. He then did have a tantrum and got a mickey mouse transfer to Tottenham. After getting sent off in a home fixture against arsenal. One that fabregas should also have been sent off in and there was some abject refereeing going on but I don't think he did what he did in bouncing the ball off the floor in an aggressive manner (really referees!) To get a move, I think that was genuine annoyance at how abysmal the officiating was
  • As it turned out Murphy's "big move" was a disaster, he hardly played for two years at Spurs - effectively ending his England chances - and ended up at Fulham who were no bigger than Charlton anyway.

If a smaller club like Charlton were not prepared to carve out a niche position for him then he was hardly likely to get that done for him at Spurs.
  • Oh and for what it's worth I don't really begrudge top level footballers the money that they earn. But I'm talking top level PERFORMERS here so Danny Murphy on his day could pull all of our strings. But emmanuel adebayor would make me have an anal haemorrhage if I ever thought we were in talks to sign him. There's gravy train players and there are performers

• I wonder if he had broke his leg in the game before he refused to play for us, whether he would have done the same. Or would he have expected the club to honor the contract he had with them and continue to pay him. Most people who do something dishonorable don't boast about it later as he seems to be doing now.

To be fair, I don't think he's boasting, but rather bringing up a personal experience that is very relevant to the Berahino situation. A rare example of a football pundit actually saying something interesting
  • So he signed a confidentiality agreement and has now talked about it on National Radio? If it was us I hope we sue him till he is bankrupt.