Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Linkedin

Just signed up to this as heard a friend of mine got a new job via LinkedIn.

Does anyone have any experience using this and got any jobs via that?

Currently in employment but looking for a new start.

Comments

• I signed up for it a couple of years ago, but honestly it never helped me find employment
  • It's worth doing. It may have improved since paulie tried it - I get contacted about jobs through Linkedin all the time these days and got my last job through one of those contacts.
  • I quit my job a few months ago and updated my status on it to 'Looking for a new opportunity' and I several messages within the first hour alone, the first one was literally two minutes after hitting the update button.
  • DiscoCAFC said:

Just signed up to this as heard a friend of mine got a new job via LinkedIn.

Does anyone have any experience using this and got any jobs via that?

Currently in employment but looking for a new start.

I thought UKIP had refused your resignation ?
  • Always get contacted through both for business opportunities and jobs.
  • Use it quite a lot for recruitment (me recruiting) - it does work.
  • Linkedin is widely used by recruitment consultants but it is generally true to say that you have to be active, join and contribute to groups etc, in order to raise your profile and attract attention. The savvy ones are always posting links to blogs etc and driving traffic to Twitter or even old-fashioned websites.

I imagine Athletico, Saga and 999 have extensive networks on there. Its not a jobseeker's panacea.
  • Linkedin is widely used by recruitment consultants but it is generally true to say that you have to be active, join and contribute to groups etc, in order to raise your profile and attract attention. The savvy ones are always posting links to blogs etc and driving traffic to Twitter or even old-fashioned websites.

I imagine Athletico, Saga and 999 have extensive networks on there. Its not a jobseeker's panacea.

Nothing is, but every little helps Bryan and if you don't start now how will you ever build up an extensive network?

True about me and of course a wide network is ultimately what you need, well pointed out.
  • Great tool if used correctly, think everyone should be on there.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2015
    It does work, and try to build your network as large as possible from people you know. Regularly check for suggestions on connections. Also join relevant groups. Keep your profile a little different to your CV, as employers do look at LinkedIn and will not want to see the exact wording you have in your CV profile here too. It's very much a "more you put in, the more you will get out" website.
  • Remember it's not Facebook! The amount of crap that gets posted these days has ruined what was meant to be a professional contact site.

Also watch out for scammers who look real, I often get requests from 'CEO's' of banks but they are scams.

If you are lucky maybe KM will accept you as a contact also :-)
  • I signed up for it a couple of years ago, but honestly it never helped me find employment

Try and 'link in' with some recruitment consultants Paulie. You have to get the ball rolling mate, they may not just come to you. Put yourself out there a bit, you never know what may come of it.
  • edited May 2015
    Depends what industry you're in. From a banking/finance point of view, I think it's brilliant. Recruiters/former contacts able to get in touch with you in an instant and new opportunities can be presented without you trying too hard to look for them.

As a side note, if you were already in, or looking to get in to banking/finance, try creating a profile on cityjobs.com or efinancialcareers.com - you can upload your CV and let recruiters come to you with various roles which may suit

LinkedIn is essentially Facebook for employment and I couldn't recommend it anymore
  • Been on there for years. Almost mandatory if you work on contracts (freelance) as I do. Mostly use it to stay in touch with ex-colleagues/friends. I often ask them if they know of work openings when I'm changing contracts and have had lots of good leads. You need to build up networks and connect to as many people as you can. I have a rule though to only connect to people I actually know - with the only exception being recruitment consultants - who might help me find work! If you get any 'dodgy' requests from Banking CEOs then they are almost certainly spammers.
  • Great site, I've been using it for years. Actually got a few Charlton connections on there (Kim Grant, Johnnie Jackson, Peter Varney, Les Reed, Steve Brown to name a few)
  • edited May 2015
    Well worth getting on there. There's even a Charlton supporters group a few of us are on. They've really ramped up the commercial side recently though. I use it for lead sourcing, but now if you don't' pay for a premium account they limit the amount you can search etc.

Also as others have mentioned there is a tremendous amount of shit going round on the timelines. Numerous photos of Richard Branson with associated business quotes

You can link me if you like, I'm not precious about my contacts - Robert Sullivan, Expedite Business Development Consulting

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=174153293&trk=hp-identity-name
  • Main source for attracting talent to our business, right for some not right for others. Need to be used correctly though and it can be an essential tool in recruitment.
  • edited May 2015
    Also happy to connect with other Charlton fans for those who are on there:

https://linkedin.com/in/tombristow
  • Been a member for a number of years. When I worked for another company, I just used it to keep up-to-date with my contacts.

Now I work for myself, it is invaluable for obtaining new business. However, it is essential to have a strong list of contacts to make this work ... the more you have, the more contacts you will get from other sources.

Also a member of the Charlton supporters group.
  • Sponsored links:

• What exactly do you talk about on there? I understand why freelancers use it, but if you work for a company, what can you say without giving away company information?
  • edited May 2015
    Wouldn't know where the start with it, only ever use it to see if names registering for on here are legit or spam
  • Personally only found people on the make pestering me or being nosey.
  • how do you join the Charlton group ?

And is this a good way of networking with people in Liege?

Just type in "Supporters of Charlton Athletic" and search under "Groups".
  • TelMc32 said:

how do you join the Charlton group ?

Just type in "Supporters of Charlton Athletic" and search under "Groups".
    OK ta
  • Personally only found people on the make pestering me or being nosey.

It's difficult because some people are quite particular about their privacy. However with that as opposed to FB, if you have a profile and work in an industry/sector even education, you can increase your chances of knowing other people that can help you or make a good connection. For me it is (or was now they limit those with free accounts) a cracking tool for lead sourcing. I have to pitch all sorts of decision makers being in a sales role, a lot of companies have no name policies etc.

My own rules are never really connect with someone unless you've spoken to them or have a reason too. I never just fire out random connection requests. I'm not too precious about who I connect with and will add most people unless they look really dodgy or of no use to me.

My best way of lead sourcing sometimes is connecting with someone, then going through all their connections to find names of potential prospects. Only works if they have open connections though.

The way I see it is the more you connect the more opportunity you have for business/referral/jobs whatever

Love the way AFKA uses it to screen potential Lifers
  • I use it and quite like it, apart from the motivational quotes drivvle. Feel free to add me on https://uk.linkedin.com/pub/patrick-woods/33/385/987
  • Like @Cabbles I use it or lead sourcing and it's pretty much the most important tool I have for work,other than our CRM system.

I've used it for job searches, making connections with recruiters in certain fields, I've kept in touch with old colleagues and friends through it too. As has been mentioned, it's a 'professional' version of FB, but there's far too much FB-type pictures being shared these days.

Feel free to add me too - https://uk.linkedin.com/in/tbataylor