Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Upbeats Day 2015 - 21st March

Walk the walk for charity and support The Upbeats

Saturday the 21st March 2015 sees the ‘Charlton Upbeats Day’, a day to raise funds and awareness for the Charlton Athletic Community Trust (CACT) downs syndrome project called ‘The Upbeats’.

Charlton Upbeats Day, falling on World Downs Syndrome day, also coincides with the Charlton Athletic home fixture against Reading at The Valley. To help raise funds and awareness, Charlton Athletic have arranged an 8 mile sponsored walk from the CAFC training ground to The Valley on the morning of the Charlton Athletic vs Reading fixture.

The walk will be led by a team of Charlton Athletic legends (former players) and assisted by accredited walking volunteers. Leaving the training ground at 10.00am, the walking groups will arrive at The Valley for 1.30pm to then watch The Charlton Upbeats play in 3-team curtain raiser tournament against the Fulham and QPR downs syndrome teams.

Taking place on the main valley pitch, CACT are aiming to over 1500 fans arrive early on the day to watch the action and support The Upbeats before the 3.00pm Championship kick off between Charlton and Reading. The pre-match tournament also includes Sky reporter Dickie Davis covering the games, giving post match interviews with the downs syndrome stars on the big screen.

We encourage all Charlton supporters to get behind the event, with all proceedings going to the Upbeats project. After each participant then registers, the trust encourages them to raise a minimum of £20 by getting people to sponsor their walk via the following website > www.justgiving.com/charltonupbeatsday2015

Those booked onto the walk are entitled to a 50% reduction on match day tickets for the CAFC vs READING fixture. When the tickets go on sale and you register for the walk, you will receive a discount code to use when calling the ticket office.

To register for the walk, please click here >

When you do register, the trust want to know about your support via social media. Please follow CACT on Twitter @CAFCTrust and on the Charlton Athletic Community Trust Facebook page. Please then tweet and post about it using the hashtags #WalkTheWalk and #SupportTheUpbeats

Date: 21st of March 2015
Where: CAFC Training Ground, Sparrows Lane, New Eltham, SE9 2JR
Times: 9.00am-1.20pm
Cost: £10.00
Included:
- 8 mile walk from the training ground to the Valley
- Charlton Upbeats walking t-shirt
- Breakfast + Tea or coffee
- Charlton legend to lead your walking group
- 50% off Charlton Athletic vs Reading tickets (kick off at 3.00pm).

To register for the walk and to support The Charlton Upbeats, please visit: www.cact.org.uk

You can find the registration link under ‘Course Finder’ on the homepage.

Comments

• Be good if we could get a crowd of us to do this together
  • If am allowed to by then (Doctors orders) I will join the walk and make it my first trip to The Valley this season. I'll let you know nearer the time as it may be a last minute 'green for go' from the consultant who I see on the 12th March for more tests.
  • I'm doing the walk along with Bailey, we will also do the return walk unless I can get someone to drive my car to The Valley. "Unfortunately" I will miss the Upbeats playing their game before Charltons 1-1 draw with Reading. ;)
  • What a great event, how about a "Charlton Life Supporting the Upbeats" T Shirt.
  • First day of spring. It will be magnificent in every way.
  • Does anyone know if there is a minimum age restriction? My daughter has been doing volunteer work with the youngsters and may well be interested in this. Cheers
  • Does anyone know if there is a minimum age restriction? My daughter has been doing volunteer work with the youngsters and may well be interested in this. Cheers

I thought I saw 16 as the minimum age to register, maybe wrong, but there's nothing to stop anyone doing the walk and donating a tenner. ;)
  • Dansk_Red said:

What a great event, how about a "Charlton Life Supporting the Upbeats" T Shirt.

There is a T Shirt provided.

I was talking to Jason Morgan about this last week - they were trying to get Damon Hill along as his son has down's syndrome and he is a big supporter of Down's syndrome charities.

I am planning to partake in this - brilliant cause and sounds like a fun day to be a part of.

• Brilliant... Cant wait to see the Upbeats back at the Valley - One of the best Charlton moments I've ever witnessed happened when they came on the pitch last season
  • Brilliant... Cant wait to see the Upbeats back at the Valley - One of the best Charlton moments I've ever witnessed happened when they came on the pitch last season

Was it that boy running round and round and finishing with a Klinsmann dive? If so that's also one of my favourite moments ever as an Addick.

• Sponsored links:

• edited February 2015

If am allowed to by then (Doctors orders) I will join the walk and make it my first trip to The Valley this season. I'll let you know nearer the time as it may be a last minute 'green for go' from the consultant who I see on the 12th March for more tests.

If we had a Hollywood film star in the ranks, that be a boost for the sponsorship. Do you know anyone..........??? ;)
  • Swisdom said:

Brilliant... Cant wait to see the Upbeats back at the Valley - One of the best Charlton moments I've ever witnessed happened when they came on the pitch last season

Was it that boy running round and round and finishing with a Klinsmann dive? If so that's also one of my favourite moments ever as an Addick.

Me too that was a very heart warming moment.
  • Swisdom said:

Brilliant... Cant wait to see the Upbeats back at the Valley - One of the best Charlton moments I've ever witnessed happened when they came on the pitch last season

Me too that was a very heart warming moment.
    AFKA is banned from pitchside after inciting the second lap of honour ;)
  • T.C.E said:

Does anyone know if there is a minimum age restriction? My daughter has been doing volunteer work with the youngsters and may well be interested in this. Cheers

I thought I saw 16 as the minimum age to register, maybe wrong, but there's nothing to stop anyone doing the walk and donating a tenner. ;)
    Thanks Ray, just checked the Trust site which confirms 12
  • Swisdom said:

Yup thats the lad... Is he going to be here again?
  • Swisdom said:

Yup thats the lad... Is he going to be here again?
    I believe he will be.

• The first tenner is on the just giving page and it's for "Bailey" must be nice to be popular? ;(
  • If am allowed to by then (Doctors orders) I will join the walk and make it my first trip to The Valley this season. I'll let you know nearer the time as it may be a last minute 'green for go' from the consultant who I see on the 12th March for more tests.

Please don't don your 'outfit' though Red. (:
  • T.C.E said:

I'm doing the walk along with Bailey, we will also do the return walk unless I can get someone to drive my car to The Valley. "Unfortunately" I will miss the Upbeats playing their game before Charltons 1-1 draw with Reading. ;)

If am allowed to by then (Doctors orders) I will join the walk and make it my first trip to The Valley this season. I'll let you know nearer the time as it may be a last minute 'green for go' from the consultant who I see on the 12th March for more tests.

RM are you allowed to drive? Perhaps you could drive down to Sparrows Lane with TCE, see the walkers off, and then take his car up to the Valley for him. Once you're parked up, you could walk back the route and meet up with them to do the last mile or so. Kills two birds with one stone - you get to participate without overdoing things, and TCE doesn't have to do the walk there AND back.
  • I am doing this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tavern said:

I am doing this.

See you there.

• Just registered.
  • Simon Webster first ex player on the walk.

• That's three registered, anymore doing this?
  • Unfortunately we'll have to give this a miss as we have been invited to join a fellow Addick in hospitality to celebrate the 45th anniversary ( to the day) of her first visit to The Valley.

However, I'm sure we'll be able to make a contribution somehow and hope that a huge number of fit, athletic Lifers will take on the challenge.

:wink:
  • Just registered myself and my daughter
  • BUMP

Justgiving page is up and running aif anyone is interested.....

https://www.justgiving.com/charltonupbeatsday2015/
  • Look forward to working with @SoccerAM today, helping raise awareness for Down's syndrome as they #SupportTheUpbeats

— CACT (@CAFCTrust) February 27, 2015
  • edited February 2015
    i wonder what date that will be shown on then!! Hmm.

Come on people - doesnt seem to be many registering for the walk on here. 8 miles is a stroll.