Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Christmas traditions

Any special ones? Next year will be the first my daughter will know what's going on really so want to start some to make it special!

All we had was the normal leave a mince pie out for Santa, presents, dinner etc, nothing really memorable!

Comments

• Take her to see Charlton on Boxing Day, home or away, Christmas Eve go to see a film at the cinema.
  • My Christmas tradition is to have a cold chicken and stuffing sandwich on Christmas night about 11pm and watch the Christmas special of Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads and then watch the first session on the Test at the "G". Been doing it for years.
  • Too young for Bad Santa on the tele?

;-)
  • A game of monopoly in the evening, accompanied by a turkey sandwich or two and a beer.
  • Take her to see Charlton on Boxing Day, home or away, Christmas Eve go to see a film at the cinema.

Oohahh would hate me but I've only ever been home I think on Boxing Day as usually have evening plans too!
  • Too young for Bad Santa on the tele?

;-)

Haha yes!! Will stick to Elf I think!!
  • edited December 2014
    Have a stocking with small presents (from Father Christmas) for her to wake up to but leave the bigger presents (from Family) for mid morning.

• Have a sticking with small presents (from Father Christmas) for her to wake up to but leave the bigger presents (from Family) for mid morning.

Bashing pressies or her?
  • My Boxing Day tradition is to be thoroughly unimpressed by a CAFC performance
  • Have a sticking with small presents (from Father Christmas) for her to wake up to but leave the bigger presents (from Family) for mid morning.

Actually that is one we did have - big present and stocking when you wake up, few throughout the day to.keep you out of mischief but most had to wait until after dinner.

Made us appreciate them more I think. It's just convincing my wife she should wait too!!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2014
    Taxi_Lad said:

My Boxing Day tradition is to be thoroughly unimpressed by a CAFC performance

Last year's was good. The worst for me was the 5-0 defeat at West Ham
  • Watch a load of films, give all the new toys a test run, play lots of board games, drink lots of beer.
  • Yep - traditionally very moody and grumpy about the whole thing! Load of commercial, over indulgent claptrap in my book! Unless you celebrate it for the traditional religious reasons it should be made completely illegal, with roving religious police randomly checking households on Christmas Day to check for formal, religious worship! Anyone found stuffing themselves on dried out Turkey and Brussels sprouts, and watching crap repeats on TV in between outdated family games of charades and karaoke should be put into stocks and flogged outside their local church! What a load of tosh!
  • Go caroling.
  • A Chinese from the Mandarin Palace back home in Bromley on Christmas Eve with my folks and the missus. Bucks Fizz and bacon sarnies Christmas Morning before the rest of the family come over for present opening etc.

Boardgames galore. Way too much booze. Head over to the in-laws on Boxing Day to do it all again, but not until I've let those booze points get out of my system obviously ;0)

Back to the Red Lion in Bromley for our lads all day Christmas meet up and some arrers on Saturday.
  • red_murph said:

Back to the Red Lion in Bromley for our lads all day Christmas meet up and some arrers on Saturday.

I hope you mean afters and not arses.
  • Go caroling.

Is this a Dogging type thing, but where there is a special car park used only for woman called carol?
  • My youngest (3) gets really shy when she gets given presents so this Christmas could be interesting. We've been asking her what she wants for ages and and she just says the same 3 things - when asked about other stuff she just politely says no.

The older 2 seem to have gotten over their trepidation !
  • Go caroling.

Really? Urgh. Not my cup of tea, that.
  • Lets break one and get three points on boxing day
  • Sponsored links:

• Christingle on Christmas eve - kids love it
  • Trip up to London on Christmas eve, Real buzz around the place, Bit of shopping, See the sights and maybe a nice meal.
  • Me and my lot used to drag our dad out for a drink on Xmas lunchtime - at The Jolly Drayman, happy days, rip dad
  • Watch the League of Gentlemen Xmas Special. Merry Christmas Dave.
  • Everyone in the family makes up a little quiz or competition for the others on Christmas afternoon. Mine is usually a picture quiz, I'll post it up here.
  • Anyone else get the Christmas tradition clash once you get married?

I used to do this but she used to do that kind of thing
    Awkward and annoying at the same time!
  • Yes, the sex is never the same once you get married
  • Carly burn, yes, lots. My other half is Spanish, so the christmas traditions clash left right and centre. Plus my mother in law is satan's left armpit, and christmas tradition in my house now also includes her list of complaints (Christmas tree is too big, christmas pudding is silly, I don't like christmas crackers etc etc). On the plus side, my kids love all of it The Norad Santa tracker in the run up, and especially christmas eve is a new one we love. Watching Polar Express or Arthus Christmas also get a mention.
    Boxing day football is my own one, as the Spanish don't play now until new year.
  • Never start a tradition, eventually it always makes for future problems. Go with the flow.
  • Our traditions happily meshed when we got married. Luckily enough to not have Godzilla for a mother-in-law and to have my wife and mother get along fine and dandy.

Being a practising Christian (ie I haven't got it right yet) leads to an itinerary of: church, curry, church, presents, church followed by eating and drinking and then home game on Boxing day.

And while I'm about it - may I wish you a peaceful and joyful Christmas filled with your traditions which make it special.

Oh, and praying for a good result at home on Boxing Day. COYR!!