Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

great british comedies pleeeez!

languishing in lost angles/no tv, don't see enough british faire, especially comedy. any tips that i can pirate down off the internets? ...along the lines of some of (my) great giggles from the past: black adder, peep show, rise & fall of reginald perrin, nuts in may/life is sweet (mike leigh), the (british) office, come fly with me...only one i have seen/liked recently is derek.

Comments

• Yes, agree.
  • Just watch the England team.
  • Just watch the England team.

And the sequels, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland !
  • I always liked "Rumpole of The Bailey", have seen the series in the DVD stores. Great acting and use of the English language.
  • limeygent said:

I always liked "Rumpole of The Bailey", have seen the series in the DVD stores. Great acting and use of the English language.

thx lg, never got into rumpole at the time, maybe i'll have a re-look...found it difficult to get past his phlegmy delivery i remember...
  • The entire series of Love thy Neighbour has come out on DVD, absolute classic stuff.
  • Uncle might be worth a watch, a bit predictable but got better and some definite funny moments
  • Black Books is pretty good.
  • The entire series of Love thy Neighbour has come out on DVD, absolute classic stuff.

oh my, just reminded myself of how the sooooo un-pc sambo vs honky language got on mainstream early evening uk tv in the 60's, saw the you tube love thy neighbour clip with my 80's born american girlfriend - she is still open mouthed aghast!:>O

oh my, just reminded myself of how the sooooo un-pc sambo vs honky language got on mainstream early evening uk tv in the 60's, saw the you tube love thy neighbour clip with my 80's born american girlfriend - she is still open mouthed aghast!:>O
    Not for the faint hearted methinks.

Another two classics, Boys from the Blackstuff and Auf Wiedersehen Pet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bottom or Fawlty Towers if you're feeling homesick
  • The Booze Cruise trilogy. Great writing And characterisation despite a couple of characters changing actor/career between the first and second shows. Neil Pearson and Brian Murphy and some sun lotion. Gem
  • wow, this is tremendous!!!!! thanks a lot everyone, keep 'em comn'....i'm back 'n forward from you tube checkn them out or reminding myself of lost gems...you can tell i live in (self-enforced) no tv/cable land, just netflix & cap'n morgan, the rest of the world is cup glued, and i'm keyboard lapdancing......

Not for the faint hearted methinks.

Another two classics, Boys from the Blackstuff and Auf Wiedersehen Pet.
    ohhhh yes, milestone monsters those two!!!!!!!
  • edited June 2014

The Booze Cruise trilogy. Great writing And characterisation despite a couple of characters changing actor/career between the first and second shows. Neil Pearson and Brian Murphy and some sun lotion. Gem

Brian Murphy lives round the corner from me in Bromley, I pass his house every day(am always reminded of the programme). He still has the nasally voice!
  • edited June 2014
    Inbetweeners
    Alan Partridge (didn't like the talk show one tho)
    Brass eye
    The day today
    Psychoville (drama black comedy but I loved it)
    Garth Marengis dark place (maybe an acquired taste but it's done like a documentary interviewing the actors of an old made up 70s show- thought it was class)
  • Not Pnly But Also, and anything with Spike Milligan.
  • Psychoville was genius, especially the first series. A really underrated series was The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret. It was kind of like a British Arrested Development but much darker
  • Sponsored links:

• The Booze Cruise trilogy. Great writing And characterisation despite a couple of characters changing actor/career between the first and second shows. Neil Pearson and Brian Murphy and some sun lotion. Gem

Brian Murphy lives round the corner from me in Bromley, I pass his house every day(am always reminded of the programme). He still has the nasally voice!
    trying it out now on you tube, pretty good stuff, thx.

trying it out now on you tube, pretty good stuff, thx.
    Youtube The Booze Cruise, he was alright in that as well. Came out about five years ago.
  • thx silly billy/elfsborg - already on part 4 of booze cruise on you tube! laaaayyyyzeeeee saturday afternoon....lubbly jubbly, btw, talkn of del boy, wasn't there a charlton connection in only fools?

Elfsborg, you must live round the corner from me, because I too live round the corner from Brian Murphy !
  • Psychoville was genius, especially the first series. A really underrated series was The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret. It was kind of like a British Arrested Development but much darker

Never met anyone else who has heard of it. Definitely worth a watch. Will check out your recommendation as well, never heard of it but Wikipedia suggests I'll prob like it.

• british leyland

• The IT Crowd

• Spaced. The first season is especially good.
  • Just watched a few inbetweeners on sky. If your missing England you can't get better imo.