Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Andy Hughes: "I'll carry on playing" plus views on Cousins, Powell and Riga

Monday, 02 June 2014

By Richard Cawley
ANDY Hughes is ready to listen to offers after revealing his hunger to embark on a 19th season in senior football.
The straight-talking Mancunian was released by Charlton at the end of last season but does not want to hang up his boots yet - even though he is firmly on the path to being ready for life in the technical area.
Hughes, 36, has already done a degree in sports science and has completed his UEFA B license - he starts his A version along with Jason Euell and Michael Morrison this summer.
Despite a lack of game time in his final season at Charlton, who he joined in 2011 from Scunthorpe, he remained a hugely influential and popular figure. His departure has led to glowing tributes from the likes of Ben Hamer and Player of the Year Diego Poyet.
Hughes said: “I haven’t made as many starts as I wanted but I’ve been supporting the young players, trying to give them advice when I’ve been on the bench.
“It’s something I really enjoy. But even with the senior players you sometimes need to tell them when they are doing well or not doing well. It’s just being around.
“If anyone wants to come for any advice then I’m there. I’ll be looking to do the same again if a club wants me.
“I feel I’ve got another season in me. I’m fresh and ready for another challenge. “It’s never nice leaving a place and I’ve had three wonderful years with super players and fans. Hopefully I did my bit to leave the club in a better position than when I joined it. This is football - you move on. Hopefully one day I’ll be welcomed back - whether that is playing against Charlton or back as a coach.
“As you get older you realise your role at a club changes. My role was a player and I did want to play - but when I didn’t then I didn’t sulk. I supported the players doing the job at that time.”
Young bucks Jordan Cousins and Poyet ensured that Hughes did not get a serious look-in - even after Dale Stephens was sold to Brighton.
“They have got great futures,” said Hughes. “I told them: ‘Make sure you keep me out of the team - it is not about me now. I’ll do whatever I can to help you off the pitch’. You only get one go on this planet and need to make the most of it.
“Let’s not kid ourselves, Diego won Player of the Year but Jordan made 47 appearance in his first full season. That’s an incredible achievement.
“He got moved around and at times he wasn’t happy about that. I told him not to worry if he was playing on the right, left or behind the front - and to learn those roles so that when he plays in central midfield he understands what players want him to do to help make them better. He has got on with it and stayed in the side for the whole season.
“Diego came in and the way the team has played has suited him - he went from strength to strength. All this in a pretty turbulent season where we lost the manager and were bottom of the league.
“We were grinding it out with no money and that will stand lads like that in good stead. The same applies to Morgan Fox, who made his debut in an FA Cup quarter-final at Sheffield United. Then he plays in a big game against Watford at home when Rhoys Wiggins was injured.
“These young lads have got to stick together and the club has got to build now for the future.”
For the second season in a row the Addicks were involved in a scrap for survival - again pulling clear. This time it was closer as they only secured safety in their penultimate match.
Hughes doesn’t mince his words when assessing the campaign.
He said: “Chris Powell got no money and we sold our two best players - Yann Kermorgant and Dale - we had nothing to work with.
“Players arrived on loan and they had to buy into the English way and they did. We ended up where we deserved to be.
“It was tough but we got out in the end and I always knew we would do. It was tough losing Chris when we had no budget.
“Things were all up in the air. After the takeover there were rumours about Chris Powell and his job. That doesn’t help on the field.
“People might say we are footballers and you get on with your job, but it doesn’t help. It’s not nice - Chris left the club in a miles better position than he took over and should be given a hell of a lot of credit. He was the one who started bringing the youngsters through.
“Jose Riga came in and had his touch on it. He took it on and he did his job. It was wonderful working with both of them.
“It was the same squad for two seasons and to stay in the Championship is a phenomenal achievement. Huge, absolutely huge. Just look at the money that someone like Huddersfield spent.
“If you go down it can take three or four years to come back. I know Wolves bounced straight back but Sheffield United have not.
“It was the right time for the manager [Powell] to leave with no investment. What he did at Charlton is incredible. When you are a legend it is tough to come back and be successful - he did that.
“He is a top, top human being. One day I’d love to cross his path again and work with him.
“I want to manage but you have got to coach first and make your mistakes with sessions - too long, too short - but if a managerial job came up then you don’t turn the opportunity down if it is there.
“It would be great to work under a top manager at U21 or U18 level, learn off them for four or five years and then have a chance to manage.
“I’ve done my degree in sports science, so I know the scientific side.”

Comments

• Another great piece from him. Shame he's no longer part of things but reckon he'll be back one day, via Leeds probably.
  • Andy Hughes understands football doesn't he? He was a clever signing although many of us may not have thought so at the time.
  • Morrison already doing his A license?!
  • Superb. The more I hear from him the more I like.
  • Morrison is keen:P Maybe with all the up in the air crack he might fancy ago at being a manager for us in 3 months time;)
  • Great piece by AH too.
  • A great influence and maybe we will see him back with us in a coaching capacity sooner rather than later.
  • Morrison and Hughes Joint Managers the new Curbishley and Gritt
  • Sponsored links:

• Monday, 02 June 2014

By Richard Cawley
    ANDY Hughes is ready to listen to offers after revealing his hunger to embark on a 19th season in senior football.
    The straight-talking Mancunian was released by Charlton at the end of last season but does not want to hang up his boots yet - even though he is firmly on the path to being ready for life in the technical area.
    Hughes, 36, has already done a degree in sports science and has completed his UEFA B license - he starts his A version along with Jason Euell and Michael Morrison this summer.
    Despite a lack of game time in his final season at Charlton, who he joined in 2011 from Scunthorpe, he remained a hugely influential and popular figure. His departure has led to glowing tributes from the likes of Ben Hamer and Player of the Year Diego Poyet.
    Hughes said: “I haven’t made as many starts as I wanted but I’ve been supporting the young players, trying to give them advice when I’ve been on the bench.
    “It’s something I really enjoy. But even with the senior players you sometimes need to tell them when they are doing well or not doing well. It’s just being around.
    “If anyone wants to come for any advice then I’m there. I’ll be looking to do the same again if a club wants me.
    “I feel I’ve got another season in me. I’m fresh and ready for another challenge. “It’s never nice leaving a place and I’ve had three wonderful years with super players and fans. Hopefully I did my bit to leave the club in a better position than when I joined it. This is football - you move on. Hopefully one day I’ll be welcomed back - whether that is playing against Charlton or back as a coach.
    “As you get older you realise your role at a club changes. My role was a player and I did want to play - but when I didn’t then I didn’t sulk. I supported the players doing the job at that time.”
    Young bucks Jordan Cousins and Poyet ensured that Hughes did not get a serious look-in - even after Dale Stephens was sold to Brighton.
    “They have got great futures,” said Hughes. “I told them: ‘Make sure you keep me out of the team - it is not about me now. I’ll do whatever I can to help you off the pitch’. You only get one go on this planet and need to make the most of it.
    “Let’s not kid ourselves, Diego won Player of the Year but Jordan made 47 appearance in his first full season. That’s an incredible achievement.
    “He got moved around and at times he wasn’t happy about that. I told him not to worry if he was playing on the right, left or behind the front - and to learn those roles so that when he plays in central midfield he understands what players want him to do to help make them better. He has got on with it and stayed in the side for the whole season.
    “Diego came in and the way the team has played has suited him - he went from strength to strength. All this in a pretty turbulent season where we lost the manager and were bottom of the league.
    “We were grinding it out with no money and that will stand lads like that in good stead. The same applies to Morgan Fox, who made his debut in an FA Cup quarter-final at Sheffield United. Then he plays in a big game against Watford at home when Rhoys Wiggins was injured.
    “These young lads have got to stick together and the club has got to build now for the future.”
    For the second season in a row the Addicks were involved in a scrap for survival - again pulling clear. This time it was closer as they only secured safety in their penultimate match.
    He said: “Chris Powell got no money and we sold our two best players - Yann Kermorgant and Dale - we had nothing to work with.
    “Players arrived on loan and they had to buy into the English way and they did. We ended up where we deserved to be.
    “It was tough but we got out in the end and I always knew we would do. It was tough losing Chris when we had no budget.
    “Things were all up in the air. After the takeover there were rumours about Chris Powell and his job. That doesn’t help on the field.
    “People might say we are footballers and you get on with your job, but it doesn’t help. It’s not nice - Chris left the club in a miles better position than he took over and should be given a hell of a lot of credit. He was the one who started bringing the youngsters through.
    “Jose Riga came in and had his touch on it. He took it on and he did his job. It was wonderful working with both of them.
    “It was the same squad for two seasons and to stay in the Championship is a phenomenal achievement. Huge, absolutely huge. Just look at the money that someone like Huddersfield spent.
    “If you go down it can take three or four years to come back. I know Wolves bounced straight back but Sheffield United have not.
    “It was the right time for the manager [Powell] to leave with no investment. What he did at Charlton is incredible. When you are a legend it is tough to come back and be successful - he did that.
    “He is a top, top human being. One day I’d love to cross his path again and work with him.
    “I want to manage but you have got to coach first and make your mistakes with sessions - too long, too short - but if a managerial job came up then you don’t turn the opportunity down if it is there.
    “It would be great to work under a top manager at U21 or U18 level, learn off them for four or five years and then have a chance to manage.

??????????????????????
  • Morrison is doing his A badges already? He must be one of the youngest people on the course, still playing at a decent level.

So Hughes has a sports science degree, I always knew he was the intellectual in the dressing room :-)
  • Morrison is doing his A badges already? He must be one of the youngest people on the course, still playing at a decent level.

So Hughes has a sports science degree, I always knew he was the intellectual in the dressing room :-)

Pritchard too. Matt Taylor is a graduate also.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Monday, 02 June 2014

By Richard Cawley

??????????????????????
    1st season back in the championship we struggled much of the season and at 2-0 down to Bolton at home we were all predicting relegation, the come back was pivotal, even though we finished 9th, it was touch and go until near the end and I reckon Hughes has called it right.
  • top lad. miss him already
  • Hopefully a future Charlton manager, would happily welcome him back.
  • Sales pitch covering all angles, on that note I'm sure dh will work in coaching
  • Didn't know until last night Hughes is coaching at the Nigels. Has it been mentioned before?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2016
    Didn't know that either. Disappointing.
  • Didn't know that either. Disappointing.

Only noticed it on Twitter.
  • first team coach since leaving Rotherham half way through the season.

I was told he's not getting paid.

What?! That's shocking!
    Do you know why, whats the deal?

Interesting. Thank you.

What?! That's shocking!
    He was out of work and Super Al offered him some unpaid work.

I think that they were players together at Reading.

A current player who was here when Hughes was told me he wasn't being paid.

What?! That's shocking!
    He was out of work and Super Al offered him some unpaid work.

I think that they were players together at Reading.

A current player who was here when Hughes was told me he wasn't being paid.
    Really surprising. Would have thought he could have got work at a Championship club at least.
    Maybe having 'PL experience' is worth working for nothing though :/