Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Agree john boy. Although with some drivers, it's hard to tell if they've had lessons let alone a test.
  • What's you route John boy. I come from Bexleyheath so go shooters hill, new cross, old kent road and waterloo bridge.
  • the test thing makes me chuckle, riding a 12kg bike at about 10mph is hardly comparable to a 2 ton car capable of 140 mph. Yeah, some basic cycling skills should be taught (at school ideally) but to compare it to car driving is a bit much
  • Rothko said:

the test thing makes me chuckle, riding a 12kg bike at about 10mph is hardly comparable to a 2 ton car capable of 140 mph. Yeah, some basic cycling skills should be taught (at school ideally) but to compare it to car driving is a bit much

May not be comparable in that sense but its more to do with the aspects being tested with regards to the Highway Code than for cycling technique. Stuff like correct road positioning (primary/secondary etc). Its safer to "take a lane" rather than sit in the curb in certain circumstances. The need for correct signalling. There's no way it could be policed though, so its a non-starter. There's about as much chance as that being brought in than having fully segregated cycle lanes.

What's you route John boy. I come from Bexleyheath so go shooters hill, new cross, old kent road and waterloo bridge.

Shooters Hill, Blackheath, Greenwich, Deptford, Jamaica Road, Tower Bridge, then pick up CS2 at Minnories/Aldgate to Whitechapel or Mile End (thats when I do the commute, its a damn site quicker than going to Greenwich and relying on the foot tunnel...there's only so many times you have to carry your bike up and down the stairs to make you realise Tower Bridge is the easier option!)

• here's me thinking I pay over £200 for the disc in my front windscreen

It's a common mistake to make. Plenty of people (probably the majority of the population, in fact) still believe that 'road tax' exists. Not sure whether that's due to wilful ignorance, or simply the fact that it's still referred to colloquially as 'road tax', instead of the admittedly less snappy 'vehicle excise duty'.
  • Actually - since we seem to have turned this into a rant about drivers and/or cyclists (I knew it would go that way eventually), what really annoys me are the imbeciles who assume that because there's a bike lane I should a: use it at all times, and b: it's safer. It is NOT safer. Parked cars, glass/debris in them and narrow lanes make it a nightmare to cycle in most bike lanes in London. Far better to give yourself proper room to ride by leaving about three feet of space between you and the kerb
  • Got to bite my lip, here was at lights yesterday waiting to turn left, as the lights change some lycra saddo twat comes hareing up my inside just as I was about to turn. Fuckin knobhead.
  • Way to bite your lip Steve :)

If you had your indicator on, then you should have given him some abuse. Provided, of course, you understand that by 'indicator on', I don't mean 'approximately 7 picoseconds before you yank your steering wheel to the left like a monkey on a tricycle'...
  • Sponsored links:

• I fuckin was sat still with it on,
  • If anyone would like to meet Oscar Pereiro (2006 tour de France winner) he will be at the Cycles uk shop in Orpington, sat 30th Nov, 1-4pm.
  • edited November 2013
    Did anyone get caught by the OB in Greenwich town centre this morning? plenty did for cycling through the red lights.
  • Did anyone get caught by the OB in Greenwich town centre this morning? plenty did for cycling through the red lights.

Good, you are supposed to stop at a red light so I hope they all get fined. I don't cycle through red lights
  • Bloody good. See loads of police around elephant and castle today sitting at the lights. They will also nick motors for going in cycle boxes which is also fare enough.

Just last week I see a cyclist go through a red light and ride around two school girls crossing. Some motorcyclist gave him an ear full. And I see another cyclist go through a red light and dodge a mum pushing a pram.
  • So last year, according to TFP - 69 pedestrians died, 27 motor-cyclists, 19 car drivers and 14 cyclists.
    (source http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/corporate/casualties-in-greater-london-2012.pdf)

Now I agree it's far too many cyclists but why are the focus on that sub-group especially in the media...what about the poor old pedestrians...?

• Did anyone get caught by the OB in Greenwich town centre this morning? plenty did for cycling through the red lights.

absolute daily occurrence in the city

• Copper pulled me over this morning to tell me off for not wearing a high vis vest. Not much fucking point wearing one of those in bright bloody sunshine. If someone can't see you in broad daylight when the sun is shining, its not because your clothes aren't bright enough is it? He seemed to fully agree with the futility of what he was being asked to do.
  • Copper pulled me over this morning to tell me off for not wearing a high vis vest. Not much fucking point wearing one of those in bright bloody sunshine. If someone can't see you in broad daylight when the sun is shining, its not because your clothes aren't bright enough is it? He seemed to fully agree with the futility of what he was being asked to do.

Absolutely ridiculous. It has been scientifically proven that in daylight, all black is the colour to wear. Different at night time, obviously :)

• Lucky I was dressed like a cycling bloody ninja then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Came off on a roundabout last weekend, must have hit some oil or something...skidded across two lanes on my side...totally ripped my cycling jacket to pieces, which is a shame as it was particularly 'day glo' and no-one is going to miss you in that thing (have a look at the Pretorius Bikes website and check out their kit...).. Still can't cycle due to a nasty case of road rash (can just about sit down now) but was very lucky there was only one other car on the roundabout at the time and it was going fairly slowly behind me, otherwise I would have been squashed..

I was filmed at traffic lights (on my scooter) yesterday at the south side of Blackfriars bridge - crew covering the police manning the lights...some idiot mini cab driver pulled up alongside me, over took me and parked in the cycle only box, where he promptly got a caution and his mughsot on a tv screen somewhere...what hope have we got if a driver can't spot several policemen and a tv crew by the side of the road and thus drive correctly??
  • edited November 2013
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Interesting clip that JohnBoy, Number 2 is only a mile from mile flat in Wallington and have seen similar in the past at that very spot.

Reading this thread has been very interesting and I always think of cyclists and give them a wide berth whilst driving, lots of my mates are in clubs or do it for pleasure and it does make me think about it more.

Have to say, after getting the bus from Victoria to Holborn for the past two years and seeing how close the bus drivers get to cyclists I wouldn't even dream of cycling in London. There is literally no room for error, certainly not on the 38 route.

Would be interested to hear from cyclist's on CL if you would take your kids through the London traffic?
  • There's two sides to this red_murph. The first point being cyclists riding three abreast on country lanes - yes it's bloody stupid to do this when there are cars behind or ahead of you waiting to go past. It's selfish - and only common courtesy to pull into single file if someone wants past (and there is sufficient space to do so safely)

However, single cyclists and groups riding single file on country lanes have every right to cycle at whatever speed they feel comfortable with. If the road is too narrow to pass - tough shit. I cycle faster than most tractors, for instance - do motorists try and pass them when there isn't the room to do so? No - of course they don't. I've lost count of the number of fucktards who drive straight up my arse and sit on my rear wheel like Ayrton Senna when I'm out on training runs on narrow roads.
  • There's two sides to this red_murph. The first point being cyclists riding three abreast on country lanes - yes it's bloody stupid to do this when there are cars behind or ahead of you waiting to go past. It's selfish - and only common courtesy to pull into single file if someone wants past (and there is sufficient space to do so safely)

However, single cyclists and groups riding single file on country lanes have every right to cycle at whatever speed they feel comfortable with. If the road is too narrow to pass - tough shit. I cycle faster than most tractors, for instance - do motorists try and pass them when there isn't the room to do so? No - of course they don't. I've lost count of the number of fucktards who drive straight up my arse and sit on my rear wheel like Ayrton Senna when I'm out on training runs on narrow roads.

Funny that Leroy, I thought I'd posted that bit weeks ago and it came up in this post so I edited it out. Gremlins at work in CL towers, so we now look like mentalists ;)

I don't want to take the thread off topic but I will admit that the country lane thing did annoy me.

100% agree on cyclists riding on country lanes, especially single file (we are all road users and have the same rights in my eyes) but these guys didn't have any courtesy at all. I could understand if they were racing or in the zone against each other but they were in no hurry at all, pretty much touring. I was behind them for about five minutes, I didn't get up their arses or do anything aggressive and they knew I was there as they looked behind several times, yet remained three abreast whilst chatting to each other.

I overtook when I thought it was safe and no other cars were anywhere to be seen for a long stretch but even then they didn't budge an inch and it was quite a tight squeeze.

It's one of those I think, there are good and bad in everything. Lots of awful drivers who give cyclists no space at all. I've seen that far too often.

• Yeah - that's just arseholery. I've cycled past people in groups like that and shouted 'CAR BACK' to give them a bit of a reminder... Thing is, it doesnt seem to wake them up. Some people are just tossers.
  • Anyone been out recently? Trying to commute four times a week and fit a weekend ride in at the moment. Had the day off today for a new broadband installation - finished by 9:30 so did Croydon to Brighton. Second time in four days (did the same route Sunday) - had nothing in my legs after the first 50km and was a disgrace going up Devil's Dyke and Saddlescombe. Annoying, as I've been working on my hill technique and it's getting much better. I think I've just overdone it the past few weeks.
  • I am riding "injured" at the moment. Have a horseshoe tear in my medial cartlidge and am waiting for an op to repair it.

Can ride pain free but suffering in the aftermath. Knee gets very stiff. Walking is a nightmare as well.

Wanted to keep riding as it is the only exercise I do.

Do struggle with any hills of a reasonable distance as I can pull upwards with my right knee when clipped in.
  • edited April 2014
    I am doing bits of racing/TT's at the moment, which is both new, interesting, fun and scary all at once, I'm really enjoying it though. Its also my first year with the adults and some of these guys are on another level, its ridiculous.

Best finish so far with the adults is 14th at the Redbridge Cycling Centre (Hog Hill), training very hard for the Crystal Palace crits that begin in early May. I got battered there last year so hopefully this year I won't be as bad.

Also can anyone on here recommend a good carbon bike from £1,500-£2,000? I've never gone carbon before but I want a better bike to go along with my racing so I'm open to suggestions.
  • Some arsehole did his level best to try and kill me this morning on Brixton Road. Pulled straight into the bus lane without looking or indicating as I was going past him at about 45 k/h. Was literally a second away from clattering into him. Closest I've come to properly losing my rag on a bike ever - especially since he feigned ignorance of what he'd done and his van stank of gear. Absolute f***ing arsehole - no question that sooner or later he will seriously injure or kill someone.
  • Glad you're ok LA. I've been out once in the last four months, less than 48 hours after I'd run the Paris Marathon. Was only going to be a short ride but turned into a 50 miler. Was reasonably ok first 35 miles cruising along at an average speed of 16.5 mph then we hit the head wind from hell and my mate literally had to tow me home the last 10 miles as I had absolutely nothing left. Although the legs felt ok, I'd seriously underestimated how much the marathon had taken out of me. Two weeks later, although I've run about 40 miles since, I'm still feeling flat with no energy.

I saw my mate last night, he's raced two TTs in consecutive days at Grain and on the Bexley 10 course and he was in pieces. He was really annoyed about the Grain course. He absolutely smashed the first half of the course into the headwind but on the turn back, a tractor pulled out just in front of him and 3 miles later, they had a dozen TTers queuing behind the tractor as they just couldnt get past lol. He was livid as you can imagine. I couldnt help but laugh last night lol.