Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• ...I've never had a mate tell me their bike fit ended up with them having a worse setup than before they did it. Your experience is pretty much the exception - in the vast majority of cases, the fit will be a big improvement for most people.

Of course, not everyone is the same - but its like putting warnings on medicine bottles - if even one person has suffered adverse effects,it has to go on the warning label.

A bike fit is still highly recommended for most people
  • I must admit, thats the first time I've ever heard that a fitted bike wasnt very good.
    Come on Baldy, tell us more. Why???
  • JohnBoyUK said:

I must admit, thats the first time I've ever heard that a fitted bike wasnt very good.

Come on Baldy, tell him about your third leg.

• Giro route was announced this week. some early stages in NI and Eire. Italian route doesn't look much from a holiday point of view, (not much on the coast), will give it a miss next year.

• haha, now that would explain everything!
  • Sorry but... i had a bike made to measure by Omega and it was the worst i've ever had.
    If anyone wants a serious upgrade my mate is selling a Time carbon with full Record etc.

If I am not mistaken having a bike "made to measure" is not the same as a bike fit, just because you have had a frame & wheels built to suit your height and weight does not mean all the components i.e. seat post, stem, saddle etc will be in the optimum position for you when you collect it. I would say once the bike is built you would still need a bike fit to ensure it fits correctly.

My bike fit even revealed I have problems with the arches in my feet resulting in me having to have inserts inserted into my racing shoes so they sit better on the cleats/peddles.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

I must admit, thats the first time I've ever heard that a fitted bike wasnt very good.

I was measured up, weighed and sat on a frame type thing to get every thing right.
    The frame i ordered was 853 with ultegra and itm millenium. (wheels provided by me)
    When i collected it, it looked big but i thought i'll fiddle with it and it'll be fine.

It was too big. I took it back and said so. The chap insisted it was correct for my size etc.
    Probably not the worst i've ridden but you know when your not happy?
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Anyhoo. You may jest but after having my balls fondled by 3 different nationalities in the space of 15 minutes at Guys, i doubt i'll be riding again.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Anyhoo. You may jest but after having my balls fondled by 3 different nationalities in the space of 15 minutes at Guys, i doubt i'll be riding again.
    Men or women?
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnBoyUK said:

I was measured up, weighed and sat on a frame type thing to get every thing right.
    The frame i ordered was 853 with ultegra and itm millenium. (wheels provided by me)
    When i collected it, it looked big but i thought i'll fiddle with it and it'll be fine.

It was too big. I took it back and said so. The chap insisted it was correct for my size etc.
    Fair enough. I always thought my Allez with a 56cm frame was the right size for me but when I got my cube, it was a 58cm and it felt so much better. Whether that was down to the weight loss in between purchases but I feel comfortable sitting in the drops all day long now, never used to be the case.

JohnBoyUK said:

Eeek. I'm not even going to ask you why you was getting your balls fondled. It doesnt sound like it was for pleasure!
  • JohnBoyUK said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Fair enough. I always thought my Allez with a 56cm frame was the right size for me but when I got my cube, it was a 58cm and it felt so much better. Whether that was down to the weight loss in between purchases but I feel comfortable sitting in the drops all day long now, never used to be the case.

JohnBoyUK said:

Eeek. I'm not even going to ask you why you was getting your balls fondled. It doesnt sound like it was for pleasure!
    Cube Frames come up small. My first road bike was a 56cm Allez, so when I upgraded to a Cube I naaturally went into the shop thinking that was what I needed - was way too small and I ended up with a 60cm.

Seems to be a lot of variation between manufacturers as the carbon Forme that I am now riding is a 58cm and if anything that feels slightly bigger than the 60cm Cube. Tried a 60cm Forme and is was massive!
  • JohnBoyUK said:

As I suspected, this is not a bike fit, you had a bike made to suit your height & weight, two very different things.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

As I suspected, this is not a bike fit, you had a bike made to suit your height & weight, two very different things.
    Spot on. Everybody's body is different. Just because your height and weight suggest a particular size frame, that doesn't take into account things like your muscle tone in specific parts of your body, your pedalling style, your cadence up and down inclines, the width of your shoulders, historic problems with your back causing you to favour a certain position on the bike etc.

For instance - I'm just over 5'9 and ride a 54cm Cannondale frame. It is perfect for me, even though the charts suggest I should be on a 56cm frame. Also, my seat post is much, much lower than it should be - I've tried it at the recommended height and it felt like someone was sticking knives in my back every time I went on the drops. Finally, I have (for my height and weight) massive calf muscles (largely, i suspect, as a result of being overweight for a long time). As a result, my cleat position is much more angled outward than recommended. I used to have soreness on the inside of my calves after every ride - and it was only when I sat on a turbo and had my mate look at it that he told me what the problem was. Literally the first time I went out with the cleats turned outward I had no pain after the ride and haven't had any since. No way a custom build would have sorted that out.
  • So, due to ongoing problems with my nether regions i can't ride a bike.
    I have a 56cm Specialized Langster fitted with spds that's 3/4 years old but has only done about 100yds hence it's immaculate.
    £300 or near offer.
  • So,5 deaths in 9 days, any ideas how to stop the carnage?
    I'd like to see more sensible lighting and cyclists not wearing earphones, to me what you could hear was just as important as what you could see.
  • Commuting to Marble Arch from Reigate, I can honestly say that I have seen things that would make your toes curl. In the vast majority of incidents, both parties are at fault - driver and cyclist. I use my commutes as training rides, so ride pretty fast - but as soon as I get to Streatham, I take it a lot easier. The stretch between Streatham and Kennington is absolutely lethal - Brixton especially. Some cyclists take ridiculous risks there - and the driving is absolutely awful.

Roundabouts are probably the most dangerous places to cycle in London, so anything being done to improve safety should really take place at those first.

One thing that does piss me off is motorists ignoring the cycle boxes at traffic lights. There should be cameras and fines for ignoring them. Maybe the idea of letting cyclists go five seconds before motorists is a good one - but I worry it would leas to drivers just treading on the accelerator like Colin McRae as soon as they changed - which might cause even more carnage as they sweep past the cyclists.
  • edited November 2013
    Earphones must be against the law in some form anyway. Same as driving a car you'd be mad to do it.

Segregation on the roads is the only real answer, it mostly works in European countries. All the time cyclists and motorists share the same space it ain't gonna get better. We're a tiny over populated island all craving road space.

Get off your fat arse Boris and stop pissing about with blue paint on the road.
  • edited November 2013
    As some of you will know, I work for QMUL and I've got an office at Mile End and one at Whitechapel, so I've been on CS2 quite a bit.

The first of the recent spate of deaths was on CS2, right outside QMUL just after the traffic lights, seen here...

As you can see, CS2 to the left, two visible lanes of traffic, albeit the left hand lane is purely a bus lane (although you cant see that from where I've cropped the pic).

Witnesses said both the cyclist and the truck had been both stopped at the traffic lights. For whatever reason, the lorry rode straight through the back of the cyclist, just before Bancroft Road (the road you can see on the left)

So assuming the cyclist was in CS2, how on earth did a lorry drive over the cyclist? Presumably it was invading the blue paint? But the blue paint of CS2 is in the bus lane. So what the hell was a lorry doing in the bus lane during the rush hour? Not one of the stories in the press, nor Borris, nor TfL have made that very clear have they?

What I find worrying is that the police didnt arrest the lorry driver. Why the hell not? Was that not driving without due care and attention? Dangerous driving?

Without doubt CS2 is a death trap. I no longer do the occasional commute by bike. I enjoy my cycling but I dont wish to die and leave my daughter without her Dad. I'm an experienced, very good cyclist with road sense. 95% of the cyclists on the road dont have a bloody clue. If I dont feel safe when I actually know what I'm doing, how the hell is someone else going to cope?

There is no space or funding for full road segregation. If would be brilliant if it could be done but I just cant see it. Maybe if Labour win the next election, they could borrow the money to pay for it, like they do everything else ;)

Realistic solutions? Cyclists should need to sit a road-based test and achieve a cycling licence before they're allowed on the roads. Motorists need to be aware of cyclists and they need educating. A compulsory cyclist awareness module in the driving test would be good. Perhaps insurance companies could offer discounts for those existing drivers which choose to sit an amended test.

Something has got to be done but how many more deaths will it take.
  • Sponsored links:

• http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/10729562.UPDATE__Cyclist_rushed_to_hospital_with_head_injuries_following_Sydenham_smash/

This happened last month, apparently the woman in the car turned right from Sydenham Road, into Mayow Road, whilst putting on make-up AND using her mobile phone, going through when the light was on red.
  • In this instance I would suggest, why not get rid of that ridiculous wide central reservation, take some of the empty wide pavement and create a separate cycle lane.
  • Some good points JB, I appreciate segregation will never happen as no party will have the political will to do it.

As for testing I think something along the lines you mentioned are called for, along with similar thinking for motorists taking their tests.

The majority of cyclist of my age grew up firstly on bikes, progressing to motorbikes and then onto cars. Most cyclists are motorists, but not vice versa.

There's good and bad in all sections of our society, and I think it's also for the decent cyclists, which I believe are the majority, to help educate the minority.

• Do they still do the cycling proficiency badge? I did it at school. Something has to change. Also, has the number of cyclist in London increased a lot recently, and percentage-wise, has an accident become more common? Sorry for all the qs!
  • edited November 2013
    Interesting quote from Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe the current commissioner for the Met about this case. Referring to lorry drivers he said.

"It's difficult for the drivers. They're big vehicles, they can't always see out properly but they've got to take a little bit more care."

If they can't always see out properly, wtf are they doing driving them?
  • McBobbin said:

Do they still do the cycling proficiency badge? I did it at school. Something has to change.

Its known as the bikeability scheme now. Not sure if all the schools do it though.
    I know a couple of guys through my old cycling club that used to be involved with the scheme.
  • It's a tragedy when anyone loses their life like that, but I'm not sure I like the way the media report these things as if it's always the drivers fault.

The problem is that the more people who cycle (and drive) the more fuckwits cycle (and drive). MAke a mistake in a car and you'll probably be ok. Make a mistke on a bike and you're potentially toast.

If they've seen the news this week I would suggest that any cyclist who from now on tries to undertake one of those big fuck off dumpsters on the approach to a junction needs their head testing.
  • Off_it said:

It's a tragedy when anyone loses their life like that, but I'm not sure I like the way the media report these things as if it's always the drivers fault.

The problem is that the more people who cycle (and drive) the more fuckwits cycle (and drive). MAke a mistake in a car and you'll probably be ok. Make a mistke on a bike and you're potentially toast.

If they've seen the news this week I would suggest that any cyclist who from now on tries to undertake one of those big fuck off dumpsters on the approach to a junction needs their head testing.

But they'll STILL bloody do it. Saw two idiots on my lunchtime run today try and squeeze past a stationary bus. FFS, why why why do they do it?!?!

I had a go at a couple of the runners at our running club on Wednesday night as two of them wanted to run up the inside of a big dumpster turning left at the mini roundabout in Bexley Village whilst it was already half up the curb! I went absolutely mental at them and the danger didnt even register with them.

Dont even get me started on the cyclists who ride without helmets or lights either. I'll have an aneurysm otherwise. I threw a mental at a cyclist I passed when I was out riding lit up like a christmas tree. He was wearing all black with no lights. No common sense. Tbh, all black has been scientifically proven to be the best combo for visibility in daylight but at night time? I got called all the things under the sun for having the cheek to point it out to him. Bloody ridiculous.

Educating both cyclists and motorists has to be the way forward.