Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Paint it gold for Lizzie

Royal Mail is refusing to paint the postbox in West Kingsdown gold for addick Lizzie Yarnold. Here's a petition trying to get them to change their mind: http://www.change.org/petitions/royal-mail-paint-it-gold-for-lizzy?

Comments

• that's silly, why not celebrate and embrace these things
  • that's silly, why not celebrate and embrace these things

Because she didn't win it at a home Olympics?

• Did this happen before 2012? I'm assuming not so can see why it isn't being done.
  • Most people - admittedly not Charlton players - find winning away from home harder, so arguably it's a greater achievement.
  • Signed. Seems like a no brainer to me, a good opportunity to celebrate the success of some hard working people.
  • Signed, would be great to retain this tradition for all our Olympuc champions regardless of where the games are held - do you get a silver postbox for a silver medal ?
  • Signed, would love to see this be a continuing ritual for all Olympic medalists, until all the countries boxes are coloured.

Think you'll find the objection has something to do with who pays for the painting (as sad as that sounds) Royal Mail, Local Council, Olympic Association.
  • It was done for the home Olympics. People have nothing better to do than piss and whine. It will get to the point where nobody can do anything because there'll be an outcry if it's not extended to everyone else. Nothing can be special. Just spray paint the whole country gold out of a crop duster and be done with it.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2014
    The idea of "spray painting the whole country gold" is completely an utterly ridiculous. There are over 100,000 post boxes in the UK. In the 118 years since the modern Olympics started, Great Britain has won a total of 245 gold medals. At that rate it would take something like 48,000 years before every post box is aureated (not counting for the fact that there would surely be some duplications before getting to that point).

Even if, for some reason, the dazzle of the myriad's of glittering phone boxes proved too much to take, why not go for a sensible compromise where, say, a post box stays gold for a minimum of four years but is returned to traditional red at its first scheduled re-paint after that time. Not too difficult is it?
  • I played cricket with her uncle #justsaying
  • Why don't we start a petition for all Post Boxes in SE7 to be spray painted in Charlton colours !
  • Maybe we should just paint it for them!
  • Never mind a petition, just pop out during the night with a tin of paint. Job Done.

Disclaimer. Dear Mr Plod. It wasn't me. I am colour bind and do not frequent West Kingsdown. I think it may have been a Mr Muttley. He's a known menace. Ahem.
  • edited February 2014
    Addickted said:

Seeing as some of the locals were allegedly invovlved in the Brinks Matt robbery, they could just make a solid gold postbox instead.

KENNNNYYYYY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM1acN96pP8">youtube.com/watch?v=VM1acN96pP8
  • Never mind a petition, just pop out during the night with a tin of paint. Job Done.

Disclaimer. Dear Mr Plod. It wasn't me. I am colour bind and do not frequent West Kingsdown. I think it may have been a Mr Muttley. He's a known menace. Ahem.

Too late

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-19223242
  • We win so few gold medals we should celebrate wherever they are won. Hardly going to need more than 5 tins of gold paint a year
  • kimbo said:

We win so few gold medals we should celebrate wherever they are won. Hardly going to need more than 5 tins of gold paint a year

We have come fourth and third in the medals table at the last couple of summer Olympics kimbo - not too shabby.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2014
    Just remember the Royal Mail was owned by the Goverment (Us) at the time of the 2012 Olympics, but now they have are a private company with shareholders and profits to worry about.

My father in law is a colour blind painter and decorator and also has a medical condition which means he shouldn't climb ladders.... true story.

• Maybe it was not thought of by Royal Mail and now its has been brought to their attention this will become the norm for all Gold Medal winners going forward

My father in law is a colour blind painter and decorator and also has a medical condition which means he shouldn't climb ladders.... true story.

My father was colour blind too and was an electrician for forty years!
  • edited February 2014
    Not signed and won't be signing in the future. It was a special Olympics in 2012, very special. I say keep it special.
    I want people in 200 years time asking, why are those Postboxes gold rather than why are those Postboxes red?
  • Christ, I agree with Chirpy. London 2012 was something very very special, and something we'll probably never experience in our lifetimes, so I want the memories of that summer. Sorry Lizzy
  • This is a stupid idea. The 2012 olympics were a special once in a lifetime experience and RM did a one-off thing to celebrate.
    RM already have a tried and tested method for recogonising other UK acheivements. If this were a petition for the 2014 olympics to have a celebratory stamp then I'd be all for it, but leave the postboxes alone.
  • It appears that someone spray painted it gold themselves over night lol