Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paint it gold for Lizzie

2»

Comments

• Options
    London was special as an event, but as far as achievements go winning a gold in London was no more special than winning one anywhere else. In fact it is likely that golds won by our athletes in the future will have been more difficult to achieve without the funding, without the support and without the home crowds. Every Olympic gold is special, they should all be celebrated. The handful of additional gold pillar boxes will be barely noticeable in the grander scheme of things, it's not going to detract from anyone. Let's do the right thing and celebrate the success of our compatriots.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Oh dear. Never let a pissed charlton Life member loose with a tin of Gold paint after spending an evening winding him up

It's amazing what some people will do for a tenner bet. :-)
  • Options
    Oh for god's sake, just paint the bloody box Gold and be done with it. It's a simple, effective, low cost way of celebrating (rare) Olympic national achievement. Somebody at Royal Mail has lost the 2012 'feel good' factor!
  • Options
    In about ten years time when the Queen finally pops her clogs all the post boxes will have to be replaced anyway. I bet the gold ones disapear then.
    As this wil be 'post' privacy I wonder who will pay for it...
  • Options
    The gold postboxes were only ever to celebrate the London Olympics in t just any Olympics from now on. Daly Thompson didn't get one why should Lizzy? I would be happy enough with a old medal!!
  • Options

The gold postboxes were only ever to celebrate the London Olympics in t just any Olympics from now on. Daly Thompson didn't get one why should Lizzy? I would be happy enough with a old medal!!

I'd think the Olympic Committee could splash out and get you a new one if you won an event!

I'm for painting the postboxes gold. Keep them gold for 12 years or whatever, then make them red again. No big deal.

I wouldn't bother doing it for silver or bronze medal winners though. They're just first and second losers.

• Options
    DRF said:

In about ten years time when the Queen finally pops her clogs all the post boxes will have to be replaced anyway. I bet the gold ones disapear then.

Actually you still see VR and GR post boxes so not necessarily.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    LenGlover said:

DRF said:

Actually you still see VR and GR post boxes so not necessarily.
    You can see VR & GR boxes in Ireland, however they are painted green.