Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: Kermorgant sets record straight on his move and on-going uncertainty at Charlton

Yann Kermorgant has lifted the lid on his unpopular sale to Bournemouth in a candid and explosive interview in today’s South London Press. He also gives a clear insight from a player perspective into the difficulties currently facing manager Chris Powell.

In a lengthy interview with Richard Cawley, Yann is keen to set the record straight on how his move to the South Coast come about, and how he felt the club ultimately wanted him to go rather than to stay. “I don’t won’t people to think I’ve gone for the money. It is because I feel they have pushed me to the exit. The biggest thing is the way it happened, they did nothing special to keep me.”

Kermorgant revealed that earlier discussions with Chris Powell and Martin Prothero regarding a contract extension saw him fully understanding and accepting the situation that the owners wanted to sell the club and that it was not the right time. He was promised that as soon as the club was taken over he would be the first priority to sign on a two-year improved deal. “That is what I want the most, to be safe and secure for at least two more years at Charlton”

"When the club was taken over nothing happened. I was waiting for the gaffer to get an extension. When that didn’t happen I started to feel a bit worried where the club was going. We didn’t even know if it was the gaffer’s decision to bring in players or just the owner’s choice. That started to worry me a little bit more”.

Yann goes on to explain in detail how the club offered no form of negotiation with regard to agreeing personal terms, how the club quickly accepted a bid from Bournemouth and allowed him to talk to them, and how on the Thursday evening he was still trying to negotiate a stay with the club. Despite Katrien Meire telling him earlier the club still want to keep him, according to Yann she came back later that evening and said after speaking with the owner that he wanted to sell him.

“Charlton wanted to show people they had tried to do something when in reality they had done nothing special. Even a little offer. They never came back to me or my agent even with something very very low. They could have said they would give me a little bit more – maybe I would have accepted”.

Kermorgant paints a strong picture of his affection for the club, the supporters and how this has been the happiest spell of his career. It is clear that Chris Powell has played a major impact on him and the squad, and how the current uncertainty over the manager’s role has had a knock-on effect.

“The first thing to do was give a new contract to the gaffer – that would make the difference for all the other players. Because at least you would see the new owner would back the gaffer, give him the deal he deserved for what he has done in the last two or three years with not a lot of money. I’ve asked so many times when the gaffer is going to have a new deal ? No answer”

“When I met the owner for the only time, him and Katrien Meire were saying ‘we love what he has done, he is a great manager’. You can say that – then give him a contract. Even one year. They have still not moved.”

"So what does that mean? That means they didn’t really want to offer him something and the gaffer would be judged on which players he has lost, which he didn’t want, and which players the owner has brought in, that he maybe didn’t want. You can’t judge a manager on that. Its not fair.”

“If we get relegated for me it will not only be his fault so far. It will be more the new owner’s fault by not trying to back him with players he wanted to bring, and those he wanted to keep.”

The exerts above only really touch the surface on an excellent full page interview. To read the full piece, seek out a copy of today’s SLP, which also contains an excellent column from CL poster @ValleyTalkBlog.

Comments

• edited February 2014
    He's allowed to get his side out there. Especially with people pushing out negative stuff that is, in my opinon, not telling the whole story.
  • So one of Powell or Kermorgant is a liar.
  • So one of Powell or Kermorgant is a liar.

What are you talking about? Powell hasn't come out and said he chose the players that have been brought in, or that he agreed with the sales of his players. And he won't, because he didn't. He has said he understand the reasons, that's very different from agreeing with them.
  • edited February 2014
    He was two games away from an automatic extension on the same money so he did have an offer from charlton, also why would charlton lie when they said they did offer him a 2 year deal?

"They could have said they would give me a little bit more – maybe I would have accepted”.
  • Neither Powell or Proherto were in any position to promise new contracts after a takeover
  • Oh dear. Not good.
  • He can do one
  • edited February 2014
    Don't know what happened, perhaps Yann could set the record straight and say exact amounts offered by both clubs.

In my opinion this interview has not done him any favours in terms of how he will be remembered.

Is this article a joke?
  • Come on now Yann, do not tarnish your reputation with us
  • Sponsored links:

• Hmmm, not sure how well that will go down with the average Cherries fan - "if WE get relegated..."
  • see I don't get that. Uncertainty in my job would make me try harder, perform better. Also, uncertainty over my manager's position wouldn't affect me so why should it a footballer?
  • 'They did nothing special to keep me' why would we? Okay hes been one of our good players but hes not irreplaceable, we offered him a contract he didnt take it, he supposedly refused to play so who cares. Im more excited to see piotr and reza upfront than yann personally
  • Personally I thought it was interesting and the man clearly loves the club. For the manager not be in charge of players coming in and out is very worrying.
  • Yann is entitled to put his POV across, no problem with that.

The bottom line is that RD felt the club would be better served by bringing in PP and RG rather than investing another two years in a 32 year old.

That's his call and only time will tell if he is right or not.

• In my opinion this interview has not done him any favours in terms of how he will be remembered.

See i struggle to see that (and you most certainly aren't alone with that thought). All our viewpoint is ever based on is that from a supporters perspective. I just think it gives a tremendous insight into the thinking of a player, which in the sanitised PR world we now live in, we very rarely ever get.

I suppose it boils down to interpretation of Yann's comments.

You would probably find "I am Zlatan" interesting.
  • Sponsored links:

• If I was a footballer and my manager was underperforming and I was in a team that's in the bottom 3, the last thing I'd want is that manager tied to a long contract. We didn't offer him more so he left, but it's not about the money?!

Pffft, we've moved on Kermit, perhaps you should too
  • uncertainty over my manager's position wouldn't affect me so why should it a footballer?

How would it not effect you? If your manager leaves he could be replaced by someone who doesn't rate you, or expects you to do twice as much work for the same money, or wants you to spend more time doing stuff that doesn't sit you don't consider yourself to be skilled at. Your job could change overnight from something you like doing to something you dread.

Look at Juan Mata, player of the year at Chelsea two years on the spin, bombed out by a new manager who didn't fancy him.

Think it's perfectly understandable that Yann would want some certainty in regard to his manager's future (although also reasonable for a new owner to want to take some time accessing him before offering a new contract).
  • see I don't get that. Uncertainty in my job would make me try harder, perform better. Also, uncertainty over my manager's position wouldn't affect me so why should it a footballer?

I totally agree, if I am looking to impress somebody I will try harder.

• At 400k you can't blame the club for selling

Where do you get 400k from mate ?

• Very sad, he could have just kept quiet about it, but felt that he had to set the record straight for the fans. He obviously didn't want to leave the club and it sounds like he is still not too happy about it. He was led to believe that he would be given something which then didn't materialise, and ultimately felt that he was no longer wanted by the new owners.
    Still referring to the club as "we" and has admitted that Powell must share some of the blame for our lowly position.
    Finally we have been given confirmation about what is going on behind the scenes.
  • At 400k you can't blame the club for selling but personally still gutted he has gone, especially as he doesn't wanna be there and clearly a deal could have been done

I hope our new signings are ok and we play the loan market well but I still think RD sealed our relegation on 31st Jan

That £400k could end up costing us a hell of a lot more.
  • edited February 2014

At 400k you can't blame the club for selling

Kermorgant swapped struggling Charlton for mid-table Cherries when he completed a £400,000 move from the Valley on the final day of the transfer window.

Bournemouth echo

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/10993888.AFC_Bournemouth__Age_no_barrier_for_new_boy_Kermorgant/?ref=var_6
  • At 400k you can't blame the club for selling

Kermorgant swapped struggling Charlton for mid-table Cherries when he completed a £400,000 move from the Valley on the final day of the transfer window.

Bournemouth echo

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/10993888.AFC_Bournemouth__Age_no_barrier_for_new_boy_Kermorgant/?ref=var_6
    ta, though personally expect that to be a very inflated figure