Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: Kermorgant sets record straight on his move and on-going uncertainty at Charlton

Comments

• What a shame. About a week ago I was saying he was without a doubt my favourite player in recent memory and with every interview that passes he is tarnishing his reputation with me certainly
  • AB do you honestly think that Powell wouldve made the decision to leave Yann out against Hudds, he was not carrying a knock and was straight back in by Donny, now the way in which this came a round may have 2 sides to that conv that happened in the days before huddersfield, but you know as well as i do that things were said that led to his failure to be in the squad,

i think the saying is not in the right frame of mind,
  • MrOneLung said:

If the club really wanted him to stay could they have not just played him two more times?

Damn the pitch! Two games were cancelled...
  • It does show how respected CP is though, which is a very good sign.
  • Sour grapes probably fueled by the Journo.
  • "I don’t won’t people to think I’ve gone for the money. It is because I feel they have pushed me to the exit. The biggest thing is the way it happened, they did nothing special to keep me.

--------

Comment for Mr Cawley from Charlton Life Grammar Police: You might won't to alter that opening sentence before publishing ;-)
  • Yann is entitled to put his POV across, no problem with that.

The bottom line is that RD felt the club would be better served by bringing in PP and RG rather than investing another two years in a 32 year old.

That's his call and only time will tell if he is right or not.

This
  • edited February 2014

Of course there are going to be different perspectives about any issue particularly when addressing peoples' personal future. None of us know the full detail of the situation but for me KMGs' "revelations" pose more contradictions than answers.

I suggest it is indisputable KMG served CAFC very well. I personally will miss his contribution gain the impression from his time at Leicester and with us he is a very independent spirit. He found a particular bond with Powell which served us all but for all of his fine words and consequent speculation it is indisputable he could still be with us for the remainder of this season. He chose not to pursue that option.

It is widely reported by continuing to represent our club this season his number of appearances would have been such as to trigger a contract extension for next season. He chose not to pursue that option.

He indicates after talks with the previous board he had expectation of a better contract offer but how can anybody have any real expectation of such commitment made on behalf of (at that point) parties unknown? Such assurances are worthless, yet he expresses disappointment the new board did not fulfil his expectation.

He indicates as a matter of support for Powell he (among others) were/ are unsettled Powell has not either been offered or accepted a new contract.

He indicates as a matter of support for the fans his reluctance to leave but given the opportunity to move elsewhere he chose to take it.

How does such decision support either Powell or the fans? It does neither. He made a decision he considered was in his best interests. I have absolutely no problem with his decision but ultimately his words in support of Powell and our club are as meaningless as the previous boards empty commitment to him.

He quite reasonably (for the profession he pursues) placed his interest over above his loyalty to Powell, Charlton and us. I understand why and genuinely wish him the very best but have no intention of demonising the new board on the basis of his comments which in old banking parlance can be best categorized as "words and figures" differ.

Grapevine49

It's been widely reported but I can tell you it's also been denied. I don't think there is any question of "demonising" anyone, but I'll like to know if the club (not CP) has been honest with supporters, for future reference if nothing else.
    I wasn't there but perhaps someone who was at Eltham Addicks can confirm that Kermorgant explicitly stated he needed to play x number of games to trigger an automatic extension.
    I have to say that I had always assumed that Kermorgant would be here next season because of reports that night (and had always assumed Stephens would be off because of the Villa situation from 18 months ago)

Perhaps someone will ask the club chairman next week at the Q&A?

• The one thing that pisses me off with interviews like this with past players is that they know 10000% that saying something negative like this will be to the detriment of their old team.

If they wished us well and wanted us to in this scenario to stay up then they would be respectful and not speak or air any grievances until the close season.

Creepy Cawley is a parasite as are past players that feel hard done by.

This is a player that if he generally loved the club he would not put his old boss in this unattainable situation. Even if SCP thinks this it's his choice to discuss this internally.

Rant over and don't get me started on Dale. :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Water under the bridge - Yann was great for us, I will show my appreciation when he returns

• Of course there are going to be different perspectives about any issue particularly when addressing peoples' personal future. None of us know the full detail of the situation but for me KMGs' "revelations" pose more contradictions than answers.

I suggest it is indisputable KMG served CAFC very well. I personally will miss his contribution gain the impression from his time at Leicester and with us he is a very independent spirit. He found a particular bond with Powell which served us all but for all of his fine words and consequent speculation it is indisputable he could still be with us for the remainder of this season. He chose not to pursue that option.

It is widely reported by continuing to represent our club this season his number of appearances would have been such as to trigger a contract extension for next season. He chose not to pursue that option.

He indicates after talks with the previous board he had expectation of a better contract offer but how can anybody have any real expectation of such commitment made on behalf of (at that point) parties unknown? Such assurances are worthless, yet he expresses disappointment the new board did not fulfil his expectation.

He indicates as a matter of support for Powell he (among others) were/ are unsettled Powell has not either been offered or accepted a new contract.

He indicates as a matter of support for the fans his reluctance to leave but given the opportunity to move elsewhere he chose to take it.

How does such decision support either Powell or the fans? It does neither. He made a decision he considered was in his best interests. I have absolutely no problem with his decision but ultimately his words in support of Powell and our club are as meaningless as the previous boards empty commitment to him.

He quite reasonably (for the profession he pursues) placed his interest over above his loyalty to Powell, Charlton and us. I understand why and genuinely wish him the very best but have no intention of demonising the new board on the basis of his comments which in old banking parlance can be best categorized as "words and figures" differ.

Grapevine49

It's been widely reported but I can tell you it's also been denied. I don't think there is any question of "demonising" anyone, but I'll like to know if the club (not CP) has been honest with supporters, for future reference if nothing else.
    I wasn't there but perhaps someone who was at Eltham Addicks can confirm that Kermorgant explicitly stated he needed to play x number of games to trigger an automatic extension.
    I have to say that I had always assumed that Kermorgant would be here next season because of reports that night (and had always assumed Stephens would be off because of the Villa situation from 18 months ago)

I am probably at fault for conflating two issues there.

The issue of truth for me is whether or not Yann was offered a contract until 2016 as reported explicitly on the club's official website. That is where I cannot reconcile the two accounts.

AB do you honestly think that Powell wouldve made the decision to leave Yann out against Hudds, he was not carrying a knock and was straight back in by Donny, now the way in which this came a round may have 2 sides to that conv that happened in the days before huddersfield, but you know as well as i do that things were said that led to his failure to be in the squad,

I have no information about this either way, but I'm not disputing what you say.

• I respect and read YK's views with interest and loved watching him play, BUT, I have always believed that if you are going to be successful in business or sport you need a bit of a ruthless streak and I can completely understand a view that cashing in whether £250 or 400k for a 32 year old and re-investing in bright and much younger prospects is what good business looks like. Yann was a hard working, real handful target man for us, but love affairs aside, we know we need a 20 goal a season striker to help improve our team and chances. One or both of PP or RG could be that man - at least I hope so.

• Of course there are going to be different perspectives about any issue particularly when addressing peoples' personal future. None of us know the full detail of the situation but for me KMGs' "revelations" pose more contradictions than answers.

Grapevine49

I am probably at fault for conflating two issues there.

The issue of truth for me is whether or not Yann was offered a contract until 2016 as reported explicitly on the club's official website. That is where I cannot reconcile the two accounts.

AB do you honestly think that Powell wouldve made the decision to leave Yann out against Hudds, he was not carrying a knock and was straight back in by Donny, now the way in which this came a round may have 2 sides to that conv that happened in the days before huddersfield, but you know as well as i do that things were said that led to his failure to be in the squad,

I have no information about this either way, but I'm not disputing what you say.

It might be that the degree of formality in what was or wasn't offered explains the ambiguity. It seems reasonably clear that Kermorgant wanted more money and that we weren't prepared to offer him more, or at least not as much as he wanted.

However, it's entirely possible that the two parties reached this conclusion without the Club formally offering the player a new deal, i.e. he knew the Club would extend his current deal, for example, but the Club knew he wouldn't accept it so didn't bother to formally offer it to him. If this is a fair assessment, then both the Club and Kermorgant are being honest whilst using a degree of poetic licence.

It's not hard to see why Kermorgant went to Bournemouth (he got offered a better deal) or why the Club sold him (they've saved money and collected a nice fee). We move on.
  • edited February 2014
    Yann is stupid. First off, CP has no right to promise anyone a new contract. He can say he will request one, but he can't promise one. I don't believe Powell promised him one either. No Manager in their right mind would promise someone a new contract right before the club is to be sold. That just reeks of stupidity, and I don't think Powell is stupid.

Second, Yann is an old player who had six months left on his wages. He was close to triggering an automatic extention, and he was likely on hefty wages. Roland Duchatelet prefers younger players, so it makes sense that Yann would be one of the first to leave.

400k for someone with six months left? Bite their damn hands off.
  • To the eyes of RD, Kermo offered nothing that PP and Reza don't also have, and more - PP seems to be rated for his aerial prowess and linking up of play, and we've already seen that Reza has the potential to be probably our first outright goalscorer since the glory days of Darren Bent. In addition, they are both much younger and crucially they have long contracts and won't be prized away without a decent fee at least.

To we fans, the importance and significance of Yann went beyond his not inconsiderable talents on the pitch, he has become something of a talisman or an icon on the pitch to many fans, but even the most dedicated Fanns of Yann would probably acknowledge that with increasing years and a worsening fitness/injury record, he is not quite the same Beast of the promotion season.

None of this is to say that Duchatelet was totally correct to essentially overrule an existing promise to extend the contract, we shall see whether his decision pays out sooner rather than later. BUT he had made no promises of guaranteed contracts to anyone himself, and was not at all obliged to follow up on promises made by others. I will miss Yann but dwelling on what has been, and what could have been, is fruitless. Right now all fans are needed to back the players still here - staying up will be impossible if there is no backing from the stands, whatever boardroom hijinks are occuring (or not occurring of course.)
  • Outsider view here, YK didn't have to have an interview, he seems like he wanted to set the record straight, seems like he was promised things and ultimately had to look after himself and his family, CP seems like a decent bloke, his last two seasons read title winning side with new players, second season reads 9th? position with a shout of the play offs, that's not a bad first two seasons into management.

This season seems like it's been tough on him with all the financial issues then with the new owner coming in with the Standard L players, and now the pitch.

If he got the sack after a bad run that would be mental.

Thanks for the outsiders view OP. That's pretty much how a lot of us view all this.
  • boggzy said:

If you've worked your arse off for the team, been consistently better than most other players, and been told that an improved contract would be on the table, it's hardly surprising he got the knock with it all. Great performance should equal reward.

Coupled with uncertainty about the manager and the transfer plans of the new owner, you can't blame him for reluctantly leaving.

I'm glad he did the interview and glad afka ran it.

Unfortunately for Kermo and us, all the new owners got to see was a team that played awful football which involved hoofing the ball long to some aging forward who despite the odd piece of brilliance, wasn't a prolific goalscorer and didn't even create that many goal scoring opportunities for his fellow "striker". Had we been in the top half of the table, playing good football, they may have been far more inclined to want to keep Kermo. As it was, I think they saw the need for drastic changes and Kermo was a victim of that because he was (not his fault BTW) dictating the way we played.

• AB do you honestly think that Powell wouldve made the decision to leave Yann out against Hudds, he was not carrying a knock and was straight back in by Donny, now the way in which this came a round may have 2 sides to that conv that happened in the days before huddersfield, but you know as well as i do that things were said that led to his failure to be in the squad,

When I heard that Kermo had been left out of the Huddersfield game, I thought of only one thing, that he was being rested for the huge Doncaster game the following Tuesday. This made perfect sense to me at that time because otherwise he would have had three games in a week. For a 32 year old who took a heavty beating every game, it made sense to freshen him up for the Doncaster game. What you say may well be correct, but I could certainly see a good reason for him not playing at Huddersfield.
  • Sponsored links:

• Kermo did set up quite a few chances but when your partner is Simon Church they're gonna be missed and forgotten about

I'd like to know what his free kick/per goal ratio was like as well because they were impressive too
    5 goals in his last 8 games for us (admittedly 3 of them against Oxford in the two games) gaining us a point at Bolton and the winner against Brighton prove in a shit team with little creativity he was one of the most important cogs in it

I'd have loved him to play with someone like Reza rather than the duffness he's been partnered with this season but he chose to play poker with Roland and huh man called his bluff , can't blame him for wanting to get from Charlton what he could get from Bournemouth , we move on and hope the new boys can produce

On the YouTube and having seen his one appearance I believe Reza is the one , the Pole didn't look as hot but we all know that YouTube can be deceiving !

Let's see if "what's a matter" has made the right call
  • As previous, I wasn't in the 'Yann is God' camp. However, the timing of his sake is unbelievable. I will reserve my views until May. If we go down, it will probably be the worst decision possible. 3 big months coming up.
  • Mr Large addicks
    >uncertainty over my manager's position wouldn't affect me so why should it a footballer?

How would it not effect you? If your manager leaves he could be replaced by someone who doesn't rate you, or expects you to do twice as much work for the same money, or wants you to spend more time doing stuff that doesn't sit you don't consider yourself to be skilled at. Your job could change overnight from something you like doing to something you dread.

Look at Juan Mata, player of the year at Chelsea two years on the spin, bombed out by a new manager who didn't fancy him.

Think it's perfectly understandable that Yann would want some certainty in regard to his manager's future (although also reasonable for a new owner to want to take some time accessing him before offering a new contract).

Wellwickman
    As the great egg chaser said at our sales convention - It is the fear of failure that drives people to strive for success. Many reasons why we are among the dead men, some out of the managers control. However CP not helped his cause with his poor decision making including as 1 of our colleagues put it a ' pathological inability to make substitutions'.
    Kermo, great for us but kept on for 18m too long against Wigan when clearly injured. We lost our momentum and fortunate to draw a game we should've won. An example of CP stupidity.
    Anybody expecting improved terms when the club is imperiled is either not the sharpest tool or a game player. Last contract so would expect the latter scenario to unfold.

• Yann is right to do this.

Outsider view here, YK didn't have to have an interview, he seems like he wanted to set the record straight, seems like he was promised things and ultimately had to look after himself and his family, CP seems like a decent bloke, his last two seasons read title winning side with new players, second season reads 9th? position with a shout of the play offs, that's not a bad first two seasons into management.

This season seems like it's been tough on him with all the financial issues then with the new owner coming in with the Standard L players, and now the pitch.

If he got the sack after a bad run that would be mental.

A Wednesday fan speaking more sense than most Charlton fans on here.
  • I don't know who to believe anymore. I felt and continue to feel gutted that he has gone.
  • I don't think that the securing (unexpected?) of Polish Pete in the face of very stiff and prestigious competition can be underestimated in any change in the clubs attitude of whether to sell Yann or not. Especially at the reported 400k.

I loved YK in the Charlton shirt. He was a monster of a player but I will be very disappointed if it transpires that he refused to play at Hudds.

Let's get behind the boys and make some noise.
  • I dont know why people are so gutted about him going. He may have been top scorer of us for the season, but guess what? Charlton have the worst scoring average in the league. We need someone young and with talent, not dome 32 year old soon to be has-been.

• not dome 32 year old soon to be has-been.

starting to believe you're a bit of a wind up now to be honest

No one is doubting he's a good player, but he's 32. He has probably 4 years tops before he retires. What would you rather have? Some 32 year old making the first team till he retires and then have no first-team striker, or some up and coming talent that has the potential to be really good for many years to come?

This isn't league one everyone. This is the championship. Yann wasn't one for the future, he's one for the past. Blood Reza and PP into English football at this level and they'll tear up League One even if we do go down!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. 400k for a 32 year old with 6 months left? Bite their hands off and move on.
  • The point AA is that Yann was one for the present. It remains to be seen whether any of this "up and coming talent" is

do you work for RD or any company associated with him, maybe in PR?