Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Feature: Reactions

Comments

• LenGlover said:

Facebook et al are closed books to me but, unless I've got it wildly wrong, I can see potential for "ganging up" on individual posters by a tag team of opponents.

If oofing people off the forum is to be based on such criteria then diversity of opinion could quickly disappear down the tube.

Currently no thumbs down though Len so I'm sure Afka and Lookie have thought about that and I don't think the idea is to ask posters to leave if they don't get enough thumbs up...hope not anyway or me and you might be in trouble.
  • Yep
    I can see it's me when I hover over and can change it , if I click again , I've flagged curb-it too but will unflag em once she says she can't see who it is
    Will unflag Big Rob now
  • I'm not sure change is good cos I'm confused.
  • Is life not complicated enough already ? .. this will just engender more unfunny 'humour' and pointless remarks .. nice try though
  • not sure I like it but I'll give it a go and I applaud you both for trying to freshen things up
  • I have two flags but definitely can't see who did it.
  • edited December 2013
    Curb_It said:

I have two flags but definitely can't see who did it.

Im about to unflag you so should be one

• Lol I could see who the other flagger was !
  • BIG_ROB said:

I got an Abuse against me, wtf was that for, it ain't telling me the why's and where fors

That was me testing it out

I can see I've flagged Big Rob for abuse and also I could take it down by reclicking over it , can anyone else see I've flagged him ?

Oh, was gonna say LOL, but i'll just click the button cause it will be quicker! ; )
  • Sponsored links:

• Please can we have a coffee bean shake sign?
  • LenGlover said:

Facebook et al are closed books to me but, unless I've got it wildly wrong, I can see potential for "ganging up" on individual posters by a tag team of opponents.

If oofing people off the forum is to be based on such criteria then diversity of opinion could quickly disappear down the tube.

They'll never get rid of me!
  • OMG, I'm so depressed............but I don't wanna talk about it.

Sorry, wrong site...............
  • how many flags do you need to get a warning?
  • Yep
    I can see it's me when I hover over and can change it , if I click again , I've flagged curb-it too but will unflag em once she says she can't see who it is
    Will unflag Big Rob now

Sunday morning and oohahh's flagging.
    Just like 20+ years ago.
  • I'm worried that there is now a "Best of..." section - isn't that something bands do before they break up ?
  • After how many likes does the money start rolling in?

What do you mean "you don't have to worry about that"!
  • How about something so you get a notification when you are quoted?
  • Sponsored links:

• No strong feelings about the system yet. Only thing I will say is that flicking down on a smart phone it is very easy to hit one of the new icons by mistake.
  • No strong feelings about the system yet. Only thing I will say is that flicking down on a smart phone it is very easy to hit one of the new icons by mistake.

Cheers @Sillybilly will keep an eye out for that

• Huskaris said:

How about something so you get a notification when you are quoted?

I'll inbox you if I ever see anyone Quote you @Huskaris pal, no problem at all.
  • OMG, I'm so depressed............but I don't wanna talk about it.

Sorry, wrong site...............

You alright Hun?
    Pm me....... ;)

• In my younger and more vulnerable years I was probably one of the worst when it came to making provocative posts just to get a response. So I’m 100% behind this change. I “like” it.
  • Not sure I like the "sponsored by" adverts appearing every few posts - but assume the site earns money for doing that?
  • What's a promote? Got one for the Reading match thread so is it like a sticky?
  • cafc-west said:

Not sure I like the "sponsored by" adverts appearing every few posts - but assume the site earns money for doing that?

hi @cafc-west. was going to mention it once i got to work.

These are independent from the Reactions, just when making changes we thought we'd roll them out at the same time.

We said last year that the costs of running the site was getting ridiculous and running into thousands a year now, so we've been looking into ways to try and reduce / cover that. We have held off on this for as long as possible but can't really anymore. We'll soon be providing a way users can make a donation to running costs if they wish, and we'll trial the ads and hope that this doesn't negatively impact on your experience of the site too heavily, if much at all.

We'll be monitoring effectiveness, tweaking frequency / position etc, and seeking feedback, but ads on the web are something people are a lot more used to than when we started 7 years ago, so am hopeful they won't be an issue. Whether they'll be any good is another matter !

Just as a reassurance, this is a credited Google programme so you'll never click through to anything dodgy!

Cheers all
  • cafc-west said:

Not sure I like the "sponsored by" adverts appearing every few posts - but assume the site earns money for doing that?

hi @cafc-west. was going to mention it once i got to work.

These are independent from the Reactions, just when making changes we thought we'd roll them out at the same time.

We said last year that the costs of running the site was getting ridiculous and running into thousands a year now, so we've been looking into ways to try and reduce / cover that. We have held off on this for as long as possible but can't really anymore. We'll soon be providing a way users can make a donation to running costs if they wish, and we'll trial the ads and hope that this doesn't negatively impact on your experience of the site too heavily, if much at all.

We'll be monitoring effectiveness, tweaking frequency / position etc, and seeking feedback, but ads on the web are something people are a lot more used to than when we started 7 years ago, so am hopeful they won't be an issue. Whether they'll be any good is another matter !

Just as a reassurance, this is a credited Google programme so you'll never click through to anything dodgy!

Cheers all
    Cheers for the feedback and makes sense to contribute to the ever increasing costs. What I'd suggest is what a lot of the apps providers offer, i.e. pay an annual subscription to CL for, say £5.00 per year, and get an ad-free experience.

• edited December 2013
    That was the first approach we wanted to take (though with the likely take up, i doubt we would cover costs at that level).

However, its not as straight forward in effectively splitting the site (ads for some, not for others) as we would have hoped and will take some development work, which we'll look to do some point next year (depending on finances!)

It definitely remains high on the options list though