Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Getting a new passport

Need to renew my passport, but have left it very late which is stupid of me as I go on holiday on the 21st December.

Has anyone gone to get one from the passport office in Clapham? If so how much is it and is there any other way to get one asap?

Comments

• I have not had a valid passport for 3 years, unfortunately it has now cost me a chance of a job, but It costs far to much.
  • Done mine thru the Post office recently and it came back within a week.
  • Brunello said:

Done mine thru the Post office recently and it came back within a week.

This, it took just under two weeks for ours to be returned.
  • I have not had a valid passport for 3 years, unfortunately it has now cost me a chance of a job, but It costs far to much.

It costs about 7 quid a year - is that really too much?

Worth paying for if it gets you a job though, right?
  • I got mine at the post office late last year and it only took 7 days to arrive.
  • £90 to renew now and when you are unemployed living alone yeah that is to much
  • You could always jump inside an arctic.
  • edited November 2013
    You can renew or replace your passport at any time. It costs £72.50 by post or £81.25 through the Post Office’s Passport Check & Send service. Time left on an existing passport is added to your new one - up to a maximum of 9 months. Did mine by post took less than 7days as long as the photo and form is filled in right you should have no problems. Is there a passport ofice in Clapham? as it is not listed on passport site.
  • £90 to renew now and when you are unemployed living alone yeah that is to much

Fair one. If you have no desire/can't travel then you really don't need one. How comes you didn't get the job did they require the person to travel immediately?

• Sponsored links:

• WSS said:

£90 to renew now and when you are unemployed living alone yeah that is to much

Fair one. If you have no desire/can't travel then you really don't need one. How comes you didn't get the job did they require the person to travel immediately?

It was Data Entry and it was something to do with the Data being Extra sensitive so they need a valid passport as well as credit and criminal checks. No idea what it was but for all that it must of been something serious.

i hear you mate, need mine doing but having to hold off to the new year. Ridiculous amount

• Brunello said:

Renewed my son's by post and same thing.

• Seems quicker doing it through the post office than doing it online. Cheers
  • For the future, you can always renew before expiry of the old one: up to nine months before I believe and it costs no more because the new passport's validity is for 10 years and however many months. This allows you to choose a suitable time frame between trips to renew. It's also better to renew during the winter as there's always a rush during the summer holiday season. This from the gov.uk web site: " The demand for first-time or renewed passports surges by up to three times during the summer hoidays (sic). This month (July 2013) is expected to see 560,000 passport applications, compared to 175,174 in December last year."

I did mine in March this year on-line and it came through in less than a week.
  • I did mine this year from over here (Luxemburg) by post and it arrived in 2 weeks.

Though doing it that way does cost an arm and a leg (registered post there and back all at my expense).
  • Got an appointment at the office tomorrow, get the passport on the day as well.
  • Renewed mine and my sons passports in the summer when i was over. Booked an appointment at the passport office at Victoria and got it all done in a day, in at 10am and collected before 3pm. Pay a bit more for the service, but its worth it.
  • Post Office, eight days, costs a bit more but at least it gets done properly and quickly. That was pre privatisation though.
  • My brother lost his passport and needed it the next day so my dad drove him to Peterborough and got it done there and then, though it cost a lot more.

They found the old passport... In the car :D
  • Sponsored links:

• If you renew your passport in the peak summer months and leave it too late like me, contact your local MP and explain whats happened with dates etc. Your MP has powers to speed them up. Worked for me. Waited 4 weeks for a reply from passport office (using post office check and send). Emailed my local mp. She sped it up and 2 days later it arrived!
  • If you renew your passport in the peak summer months and leave it too late like me, contact your local MP and explain whats happened with dates etc. Your MP has powers to speed them up. Worked for me. Waited 4 weeks for a reply from passport office (using post office check and send). Emailed my local mp. She sped it up and 2 days later it arrived!

Your MP isn't Keith Vaz is it?
  • AlexC said:

Got an appointment at the office tomorrow, get the passport on the day as well.

As a matter of interest which office ?

• Tip...Make sure your photo is spot on otherwise it'll be rejected
  • Just renewed mine - didn't bother with the Post Office 'check and send' as imho this is a waste of money. Just carefully complete the form, make sure your photo is correct as mentioned above and send everything including payment for £72.50 to the address in Northern Ireland. Got mine back inside ten days nae bother.
  • Brunello said:

This, it took just under two weeks for ours to be returned.
    Done mine in September, took about a week using the postal checking service.
  • AlexC said:

Got an appointment at the office tomorrow, get the passport on the day as well.

As a matter of interest which office ?

The one in Victoria. London Globe House.
  • edited November 2013
    Now we're being linked with new American owners , i'm just going to make sure my passports up to date , in time for our Europa League adventures next season after winning the Fa Cup.
  • Now we're being linked with new American owners , i'm just going to make sure my passports up to date , in time for our Europa League adventures next season after winning the Fa Cup.

We can expect some pre-season friendlies in the U.S. as well!

• Done it on the day at the office, can't recall needing an appointment though.