Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Getting a new passport

13»

Comments

• Options
    Yeah I renewed mine recently too (ahead of a trip to Cape Town in a couple of months). Took three weeks in total from online submission to receiving the new one - and that included the Christmas break! Pretty good really. 
  • Options
    You don't even need to pay £8 for photo booth snaps any more - you can do them at home on your phone (following all the same 'quality' stipulations).
    Mum did hers at Christmas, replacing one that had expired that we couldn't locate, and she received her new one within a fortnight.
  • Options
    Difficult part of doing it at home is getting the light right 
  • Options
    What takes longer getting a new passport or getting through passport control?
    I flew into Gatwick (South) this afternoon. I might have been lucky but there was no queue whatsoever, and the e-gate worked first time.

So on balance, I'd suggest that getting through passport control is quicker. 
  • Options
    Senpai said:
    Just renewed mine came today (27/1/23)....Done the application on the 15th, posted the old one off on the 17th, very quick maybe a quiet time of the year.
    Blimey. It takes about 6 months in France. To get a French passport you have to make an appointment in person so that they can check that the photo is correct. You then have to make a second appointment to pick it up. The appointments have a long waiting list since COVID-19.

Do you still have to get a 'referee' to sign that it's a true likeness in the UK? My UK passport runs out in 2025. 
    Just renewed mine last Friday, used the digital service at the WH Smith PO counter in Newbury, you pay the premium for this service including extra for the return of guaranteed post for your old passport.

They take the picture for you but be aware don't wear bright clothes or smile or your picture will keep being rejected. Get almost a daily update of the progress of the passport via text.

Had 6 months left and some countries you cant go to if you have less that that.
    I got my photos taken at Tesco. They printed off copies and sent me a code to upload the photo straight to the online application. The process was very quick and easy. I received regular updates via email and text. I received my new passport six days after I applied online and I got the old passport in the post the following day. I didn’t even request special delivery with it. I thought it would be a lengthy process with the prices rising soon.

Timpsons do a similar service. The whole process is so much easier than it used to be.
  • Options
    Used the mobile phone app to renew and it took less than 3 weeks
    Photo needed 3 or 4 goes to get one "acceptable" we couldn't see the difference between what was OK and what wasn't
    Even got the old passport back in the post a week later
  • Options
    Sounds like the Passport Office are doing a decent job.  I just wish we could say the same about the DVLA.  Four weeks and counting. They had the final part (you have to complete a paper form they send you after you’ve done all the online stuff and paid for 10 days, but system still says “awaiting forms”.  
  • Options
    I took my passport photo on my phone (followed all the guidelines).
  • Options
    Just renewed mine came today (27/1/23)....Done the application on the 15th, posted the old one off on the 17th, very quick maybe a quiet time of the year.
    Blimey. It takes about 6 months in France. To get a French passport you have to make an appointment in person so that they can check that the photo is correct. You then have to make a second appointment to pick it up. The appointments have a long waiting list since COVID-19.

Do you still have to get a 'referee' to sign that it's a true likeness in the UK? My UK passport runs out in 2025. 
    I recently changed my Luxemburg driving license for a French one, it took 9 months from on-line application to receipt!

About the signature, the last time I renewed my UK passport you didn’t have to have a signatory if your picture hadn’t changed excessively in the past 10 years. However, they didn’t define excessively! Being an old bald bloke meant my picture hadn’t changed at all and I was good to go. This was about 8 years ago.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    addix said:
    You don't even need to pay £8 for photo booth snaps any more - you can do them at home on your phone (following all the same 'quality' stipulations).
    Mum did hers at Christmas, replacing one that had expired that we couldn't locate, and she received her new one within a fortnight.
    Wife did mine with her camera, it was a better photo then the one she took of me on her phone.
  • Options
    Got mine today, 11 days it took. Just to remind that it was the digital service at the PO in WHSmith, £96 bit pricey, but done and dusted and they informed me every step of the way.
  • Options
    Sent ours back today (wife and me) hopefully a quick turnaround.
  • Options
    Yeah I renewed mine recently too (ahead of a trip to Cape Town in a couple of months). Took three weeks in total from online submission to receiving the new one - and that included the Christmas break! Pretty good really. 
    I renewed mine recently - total turnaround time was 7 days! See you in Cape Town - I've booked an airbnb for the month of April.
  • Options
    Getting a new passport - Is a massive pain in the arse if you don't live in the UK.
  • Options
    Today's the last day before prices go up. 
  • Options
    Today's the last day before prices go up. 
    THANK YOU! Mine expires in April so renewed online just now.
  • Options
    Applied to renew my passport online on 11th May new passport arrived today (26th May). I thought they were on strike. Web site stated it could take upto 10weeks.  
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    Applied to renew my passport online on 11th May new passport arrived today (26th May). I thought they were on strike. Web site stated it could take upto 10weeks.  
    Me too, renewed using the online service and it took less than three weeks 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I couldn’t be bothered with all the kerfuffle so I’m just using someone else’s now.
    Still growing the moustache, dressing on the other side and looking for recommendations for those things that go inside your shoes to make you taller if anyone can help?
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    I couldn’t be bothered with all the kerfuffle so I’m just using someone else’s now.
    Still growing the moustache, dressing on the other side and looking for recommendations for those things that go inside your shoes to make you taller if anyone can help?
    I think AFKA can help with all of those 😂
  • Options

Passengers flying into the UK are facing long delays at passport controls as e-gates across the country have gone down.

The issue is affecting people arriving at UK airports, the Home Office said, after the system went down last night.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65731795

• Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    I'm sure I read that online applications are processed by the Northern Ireland office, whereas ones done in a Post Office etc are done locally which, coupled with the RM strikes, caused the big delays.  Even my 76 year old mum managed to do the online application and, like you, got hers back inside a fortnight.