Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Famous Quotes

Apparently it is 25 years ago today that Barry Davies exclaimed when GB's hockey team scored against the Germans "Where were the Germans but frankly who cares!" , of course there is the iconic "They think its all over ... it is now!"

My favourite is when Germany equalised in Euro 96 semis and Barry Davies (I think) just screamed "Kuntz!" ... not sure he meant the players name!!!

Comments

• The backpage of the Daily Sport the day after that game read:

"You Kuntz"

Not that I read the Daily Sport when it was in circulation though........
  • "We are all hurting and will come back stronger next week" :-)
  • The Batsman's Holding, The Bowler's Willey
  • Anyone can win this season, and it could be us.
  • edited October 2013
    "Michael Gray....steps up.......AND ILIC HAS SAVED IT!!!!!!!........AND WE'RE IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE.........CHARLTON, IN THE MOST DRAMATIC FASHION IMAGINABLE, ARE GOING TO BE PLAYING PREMIER LEAGUE FOOTBALL NEXT SEASON.

Cue Mark Mansfield and Colin Powell starting to cry live on air.
  • Or it may seem a random one, but for a Boston Red Sox fan like me, this is huge (and probably the biggest story ever in US sports....

"Back to Foulke.....Red Sox fans have longed to hear it.......The Boston Red Sox are World Series champions. It has been 87 years. Generations across New England have come and gone. Put that curse to bed!"
  • Kap10 said:

Apparently it is 25 years ago today that Barry Davies exclaimed when GB's hockey team scored against the Germans "Where were the Germans but frankly who cares!" , of course there is the iconic "They think its all over ... it is now!"

My favourite is when Germany equalised in Euro 96 semis and Barry Davies (I think) just screamed "Kuntz!" ... not sure he meant the players name!!!

Remember watching that hockey match (think it was also the one where the miniature of sport ran on the pitch) then setting off to Norwich (we won 3-1).

• Last line at the bottom:

Canadians: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid collision.
    Americans: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a collision.
    Canadians: Negative. You will have to divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.
    Americans: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.
    Canadians: No, I say again, you divert YOUR course.
    Americans: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN, THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH--I SAY AGAIN, THAT'S ONE FIVE DEGREES NORTH--OR COUNTER-MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

Canadians: This is a lighthouse. Your call.
  • A female news anchor who, the day after it was supposed to have snowed and didn't, turned to the weatherman and asked, "So Bob, where's that eight inches you promised me last night?" Not only did HE have to leave the set, but half the crew did too, because they were laughing so hard!
  • Here comes Seaman dribbling out of the box.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ooh it's a good one. Oh and it's the goal that may well have preserved first division status for charlton athletic.
  • General George Sedgwick last words to his soldiers:

"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."
  • Last line at the bottom:

Canadians: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid collision.
    Americans: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a collision.
    Canadians: Negative. You will have to divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.
    Americans: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.
    Americans: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN, THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH--I SAY AGAIN, THAT'S ONE FIVE DEGREES NORTH--OR COUNTER-MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

Read the same quote but that time the conversation was between the Yanks and a Spanish lighthouse - think its a myth.
  • Oh and it's the goal that may well have preserved first division status for charlton athletic.

... and it's Peter Shirtliff again!
  • One for our current predicament "its always darkest before the dawn"
  • edited October 2013
    King Harold at Hastings: Whatch what thou art doing, thou will have someones eye out if thou art not careful!

Sorry, I'll geteth my coat.
  • "Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin
  • The Batsman's Holding, The Bowler's Willey

Actually the other way around.

Yours pedantically...
  • Seaman comes over Adams back
  • se9addick said:

Last line at the bottom:

Read the same quote but that time the conversation was between the Yanks and a Spanish lighthouse - think its a myth.
    It's a apocryphal story. The first time I saw it was in Covey's 13 Habits book. He cites a US Navy man called Frank Koch, but elsewhere in webland says Horatio Hornblower. Agree with SE9, made up.
  • Sponsored links:

• BBC news interviewing the daily mirror editor on the night Robert maxwells body was found floating in the med.

BBC-do you think it could be suicide

Editor-certainly not I spoke to him yesterday and he was in a buoyant mood.
  • To Err is Human, to Moo Bovine
  • To Err is Human, to Moo Bovine

"Are you avin a laff? Is he aving a laff?"..............
  • "If moths had eyes, would they be happier?"
  • To err is human--but it feels divine. (Mae West) ;)
  • Hell is other people - Jean Paul Sartre
  • Youth is wasted on the young.
  • Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... I have others. - Groucho Marx (I think.)
  • "Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city.”

- George Burns
  • "Im only stopping for the one."

Curb_It.