Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Since there are a few of us on here, thought it might be worth starting a thread on this. If you don't like cycling, don't be a tool about it - just don't comment.

Went out and did just under 90k in just under three hours in the pissing down rain today. Pretty pleased with that since the weather was dreadful and I came off pretty badly last week and am still suffering from fuckedknee. Anyone else out today or tomorrow?

Comments

• Nice work. Went out with a couple of mates today (also in the pissing rain) - Erith up to town and back again. Pretty stop start but still good fun.

Now wearily sitting on the sofa watching MOTD!
  • Sorry, couldn't resist ;-)

• .... And that's why all cycling shorts are black :)
  • "Lycra warriors" - now that's funny!
  • I was a proper one today as well. Usually I hold it together when people do stupid things when I'm on the bike, but some fuckwit stepped right into the cycle lane in front of me coming back through Dorking and I lost my rag. Its not as if I was inconspicuous with my orange top either. Total prat - had no clue what he was doing or that he had done anything wrong.
  • Count me in.
    Back in the saddle after a couple of years of losing my bottle after a run in with a corsa full of knobs. (Not the above)
  • Fair play to you Leroy, 90k is a good ride in warm weather never mind the wet. I train on a Tue & Thurs night and get 20 miles done on each night. I am not keen in the dark in the country lanes I train in so it will not be long before I am on the turbo in my garage with the DVD player and Sufferfest Vids.
  • My mates all do the country lanes.
    Personally I can't stand them - puncture magnets, slippery road surfaces and loons overtaking on narrow roads. I stick to the A roads and have artics thundering past me :)
  • Went out yesterday to Brighton on the bike from SE London, in the pissing rain, having not cycled for 3 months having been in America. Not one of my wisest choices, but it did feel good to be back on the bike again! Well the first 30 miles were, the next 30 just were pure pain.
  • I took my son football and had pricks riding 5 abreast done the road, cyclists should be single file, how I hate Sunday morning cyclists.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not on this thread please Steve
  • sorry mate, I went down the paper shop this morning on me budgie, is that ok ?
  • edited September 2013
    Ha! No. No it's not :)
  • For the first time in my life i am going to have a real go at losing some weight, and have chose cycling as my form of exercise.

Bike should be ariving this week so i anyone knows some decent routes out from Bexleyheath please let me know.
  • John Boy is your man Rob. Most of my routes are Surrey, East Sussex and West Sussex. Do Kent as well, but only when I'm out with mates who ride that way. What bike did you get?
  • yes please let me know the idea of Fatrob in lycra on a bike, I would pay to watch this event.
  • Who said anything about lycra Steve
  • sorry mate, I went down the paper shop this morning in me budgie smugglers, is that ok ?

Woah there!!!
  • lol off it I used to have a pirahna as well.
  • Fat Rob as the little Britan only gay in the village
  • Sponsored links:

• Got a Specialized Allez 2013 Leroy should come friday looking forward to it but know the first few months will kill me
  • fatrob said:

Got a Specialized Allez 2013 Leroy should come friday looking forward to it but know the first few months will kill me

You'll be fine - much easier than you think. Do you know what groupset you have on there? Whether it's a compact? If it is, that will help you a lot.
  • lol off it I used to have a pirahna as well.

I used to have a chopper, but it got nicked. Have never been the same since.
  • fatrob said:

Got a Specialized Allez 2013 Leroy should come friday looking forward to it but know the first few months will kill me

You'll be fine - much easier than you think. Do you know what groupset you have on there? Whether it's a compact? If it is, that will help you a lot.
    he has stablisers on his Leroy.

• Havent got a clue hopefully its got a motor lol
  • fatrob said:

For the first time in my life i am going to have a real go at losing some weight, and have chose cycling as my form of exercise.

Bike should be ariving this week so i anyone knows some decent routes out from Bexleyheath please let me know.

What are you looking at doing and how far are you looking at going?

• I do a fair bit of cycling these days. Good Thames path from Erith to Greenwich on mountain bike. Some good lanes out Kent on the racing bike and I seriously recommend the Cyclopark in Gravesend just off the A2. £3 for two hours on a 2.6k tarmac circut, 100% safe, no traffic. I normally do at least one session every week there.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

fatrob said:

For the first time in my life i am going to have a real go at losing some weight, and have chose cycling as my form of exercise.

Im looking at having a real go at losing some weight as for distance I havent cycled for years so would be a process of building it up if any of you regular cyclists could help in working out a program that would be great and in the long term maybe looking at joining a club so I make sure that I get out at least a few times a week.
  • fatrob said:

JohnBoyUK said:

fatrob said:

Im looking at having a real go at losing some weight as for distance I havent cycled for years so would be a process of building it up if any of you regular cyclists could help in working out a program that would be great and in the long term maybe looking at joining a club so I make sure that I get out at least a few times a week.
    Ok, well if you have done any cycling for years, here's a challenging loop for you...

You sat you're at Bexleyheath. So ride down to Bexley Village. The loop is North Cray Road towards Ruxley Corner, turn left out of the roundabout onto Maidstone Road towards Swanley then turn left onto Birchwood Road. Get to the end, turn left, head up towards and past the Old Bexley Hospital then the drop back down into the Village.

The loop is 7.6-7.7 miles long. My old cycling club used to use it for training.
    There's a bit of everything in that. You've got a gentle incline up North Cray Road then a little kick up at the end by the roundabout. There's a more of a climb on Maidstone Road then when you hit Birchwood, you can open the legs up and fire the afterburners.

What I suggest, the first time you do it, do it once. If you feel comfortable, do it twice. When you're feeling stronger, do it 3 times. Use that as your base to compare your performance. By all means, go and ride elsewhere too but every now and then, come back and ride the loop then you'll be able to look back and see what you've achieved.

If you've got a smartphone, sign up to Strava. Its free. It will automatically pick up segments like this and you'll be able to see that you're getting fitter and stronger when your times start to come down and your average speeds pick up.

The first time I rode that loop about 3 years ago now, it was a major struggle. The lump in Maidstone Road used to fill my legs with lactic acid as my HR went through the roof. By the time I hit the downhill bit of Birchwood, I was all out of energy and I'd end up lapping at 13mph. Now, I can happily ride a lap averaging over 20 mph. The more miles you get in your legs, the easier it becomes. Oh, and as for hills, they never get easier, you just get used to the discomfort ;)

There are major pros and cons to joining a club. It worked well for me for about a year because I was really unfit and I was a novice but because I was taking my fitness really seriously, I was improving at a rate of knots and I quickly outgrew the club. For me, time is precious. I'm more than happy to go for a 50 mile bike ride but if I go out at 9am on a Sunday morning, I want to be be back in time for some dinner, some chill out time on the sofa afterwards. A 50 mile ride with say 3,500ft of climbing say, so moderately hilly (something like Welling out ot Westerham, take in a couple of big hills and back) can be done in 3hrs without stopping*. You learn to drink and eat on the bike. Some cycling clubs cater for that kind of riding, some dont. Some prefer to ride 20 miles, stop for a cup of coffee somewhere, have a chat, ride some more, stop for another coffee and have a slice of cake, have another chat, then ride home. Rather than be back at 12-1pm, you're looking more at 3-4pm with punctures. The novelty of club riding soon wears off. (Seriously, I joined the club to lose weight, why are you encouraging me to ride slowly AND EAT BLOODY CAKE FOR!?!?!! See where I'm coming from?!?!)

*when I say not stopping, I stop at traffic lights before anyone says different :)
  • fatrob said:

I have this bike in the basic model as my first Road bike and it is very good! Basically the gears change really easily with a nice ratio between them, and it handles very well also for the very competitive price! Did you go for the red option as well?