Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

All quiet on the investment front...

Comments

• Options
    being in the Championship as opposed to League 1 doesn't add much value. To get to the PL is going to cost them at least 36m (3 years x 1m a month Slater is putting in) plus the investment to get there which it doesn't seem they have anyway. Worrying times imo.
  • Options
    Unsustainable losses by owners that don't have huge personal wealth or any affiliation to Charlton Athletic. I see this ending in one of two ways. They sell now for a very small profit or if not a small profit they cut their losses or they risk things for a bit longer and we end up in administration. I wonder if their balls are as big as nla's ?
  • Options
    We could of course get promoted but I can't see that without another very decent amount spent on the team which I don't see happening.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Don't think the current owners have or are likely to have money for transfers in the summer without selling first. Think the club would be sold if the right offer comes in but at the moment I don't think there is any likelihood of that happening. TJ and MS are I believe between a rock and a hard place. I can't see things getting easier any time soon.

Totally agree with this. I think January really told the story of where we are regarding the financial situation at the club....that basically we're financially fooked.
    My concern is just how long Powell will put up with this pitiful situation before walking....and I wouldn't blame him. He would never ask for anything beyond our means but how is he supposed to do the job if they don't provide him with the required tools?

The sooner TJ sells up and slings his hook the better as far as i'm concerned....and if JT is involved he can do the same ;P

*edited...looks at ShootersHillGuru ;)*

• Options
    John Terry is not involved. Or is he ? ;0)
  • Options
    Surely if we were financially fooked we would have had a fire sale. There's no doubting we're skint, a modest investment of under £1m early in january could have seen us close the then 7pt gap the play offs, instead of seeing it slowly expand. So it's obvious we haven't got the cash to invest in the team, but equally we didn't sell any key players.

I've said it before, but the level of hyperbole on CL has gone through the roof the last few years. Nobody can seem to discuss things without going off the deep-end. Nobody seems to want to agree there's an infinite number of shades of grey, and instead everything has to be binary. We're either rich or we're "fooked", Stephens is a world beater or shocking, CP is a god or helplessly naive.

The truth in all of those cases is neither, but instead somewhere in between. So can we please discuss things like adults rather than reverting to hyperbole, exaggeration, over-simplification, and in many cases open abuse/ridicule.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Surely if we were financially fooked we would have had a fire sale. There's no doubting we're skint, a modest investment of under £1m early in january could have seen us close the then 7pt gap the play offs, instead of seeing it slowly expand. So it's obvious we haven't got the cash to invest in the team, but equally we didn't sell any key players.

I've said it before, but the level of hyperbole on CL has gone through the roof the last few years. Nobody can seem to discuss things without going off the deep-end. Nobody seems to want to agree there's an infinite number of shades of grey, and instead everything has to be binary. We're either rich or we're "fooked", Stephens is a world beater or shocking, CP is a god or helplessly naive.

The truth in all of those cases is neither, but instead somewhere in between. So can we please discuss things like adults rather than reverting to hyperbole, exaggeration, over-simplification, and in many cases open abuse/ridicule.

Agreed, except SCP is a god! :-)
  • Options

Don't think the current owners have or are likely to have money for transfers in the summer without selling first. Think the club would be sold if the right offer comes in but at the moment I don't think there is any likelihood of that happening. TJ and MS are I believe between a rock and a hard place. I can't see things getting easier any time soon.

Makes you wonder why they bought us!

Our promotion was at least on schedule ... if not a season early ... and this year, as expected, we are consolidating. Despite Southampton and Norwich precedents they could not possibly think that we would go up this year solely on the basis of the investment they made on players in 2011.
  • Options
    Maybe we have got cash but they don't trust CP with it.
  • Options
    I think money will be made available, I'm just concerned that it won't be CP that it is made available to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Redhenry said:

Source?

If we had money but they don't trust Powell with it (which is odd given how well he spent the money in league 1) then they could afford to sack him and get someone else in. But they haven't, either because they can't afford to sack him or just don't want to sack him.

I think it is more likely that we don't have any spare cash now that Kevin Cash isn't putting money in where as in League one Kev was still bankrolling the team building.

Although Slater said on record that he's "transfering £1m a month" into the Club which suggests that there is money available or that we're losing at least £12m pa.

None of it adds up which is the issue.

• Options
    edited February 2013

35mill + 6 million a year for say 2 years (12million) then players investment to get us up 6 million so 50million.
    Assuming we get in the Prem. Then another 15 million on players so 65 million ----without being an "established" prem league club.

Thats big money and a big risk.

don't forget

parachute payments £16m £16m £8m £8m
    promotion bonuses, and clauses
    as well as relegation ones we hope

and how much is the prem money for last place next year - £72m potentially

But agree big money big risk

• Options

Redhenry said:

Source?

If we had money but they don't trust Powell with it (which is odd given how well he spent the money in league 1) then they could afford to sack him and get someone else in. But they haven't, either because they can't afford to sack him or just don't want to sack him.

I think it is more likely that we don't have any spare cash now that Kevin Cash isn't putting money in where as in League one Kev was still bankrolling the team building.

Although Slater said on record that he's "transfering £1m a month" into the Club which suggests that there is money available or that we're losing at least £12m pa.

None of it adds up which is the issue.

You do Mr cash a disservice.
    kev is still bankrolling the team building. Have you seen our wage bill?

• Options
    no we haven't...
  • Options
    For most of the 90s we never spent much on players either. Indeed most seasons we were net sellers, losing the likes of Rob Lee and Barness in autumn 1992, Webster in 1993, Minto in 1994, Bowyer in 1996, so not spending a fortune on new players is hardly anything new...
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Makes you wonder why they bought us!

Our promotion was at least on schedule ... if not a season early ... and this year, as expected, we are consolidating. Despite Southampton and Norwich precedents they could not possibly think that we would go up this year solely on the basis of the investment they made on players in 2011.

All very true. It does make you wonder. My best guess is that "the funder" has pulled the plug on any unnecessary spending to either fit in with the blueprint on scheduled spending or more likely "the funder" has decided that he doesn't want to play anymore because of a falling out or disagreement with fellow investors. Purely speculation on my part of course but I'm at a loss to find any other explanation. Think we will know more in the summer. We don't spend reasonably big then and we know we are broke.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    It is going to be massive for us - whether we have a bit of money - can strengthen and possibly get promoted - Not have money, but not need to sell - possibly players will improve after a year's experience and if a couple of youngsters make the grade, we could be competetive or we lose players and relegation is a real possibility, though not a certainty.

It feels like the third may be the most likely at the moment unfortunately, but a lot can change in a short space of time.
  • Options
    I have been told that in the short time they have owned us Kevin Cash and Tony Jiminez have made a small fortune..

out of a large one!

They continue to look for buyers. No idea if there is anything realistic or ongoing though!
  • Options
    edited February 2013

I have been told that in the short time they have owned us Kevin Cash and Tony Jiminez have made a small fortune..

out of a large one!

They continue to look for buyers. No idea if there is anything realistic or ongoing though!

I think there could be if they lowered their valuation of the club..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So... what we need basically is an individual or group of individuals, with more disposable cash than sense, who can be persuaded to easily part with that cash to own a middle ranking English football club in London. For their money they get a squad of Championship to 1st Division players, an up and coming manager and staff to dispose of at their will and a large stadium in SE London to upkeep to the best of their ability, oh and a fanbase who will turn on you sooner than you can say "lost three games in a row..."

So Evening Standard classifieds or Gumtree?
  • Options

So... what we need basically is an individual or group of individuals, with more disposable cash than sense, who can be persuaded to easily part with that cash to own a middle ranking English football club in London. For their money they get a squad of Championship to 1st Division players, an up and coming manager and staff to dispose of at their will and a large stadium in SE London to upkeep to the best of their ability, oh and a fanbase who will turn on you sooner than you can say "lost three games in a row..."

I heard that there are a few such chaps in/around the Westminster area.
  • Options

The government ?
  • Options

The government ?

No. They do not do investments.

• Options
    Perhaps the purchase budget is and has been low, unless we sell

Perhaps its more about wages and performance, might explain why cash was a bit short

The outflow of surplus or underperformers would support this.

The end of a number of contracts this summer may help and lets assume our wages are pitched at a decent level we should be a main competitor for free contract players.

Whether its is a a successful strategy only time will tell

• Options
    You know what they say. " pay peanuts and get monkeys"
  • Options
    there is also a cost missing ----and that is the debt to be paid back to various people if we get promoted to the Prem.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

You know what they say. " pay peanuts and get monkeys"

Unless we have a rich benefactor...and that could lead to a philosophical debate about the host/parasite, or interdependency relationship between owner(s) and fans...then trying to live within our means is the only realistic way to go. If we only have peanuts as currency then so be it. We have to try to punch above our weight as best we can, hope to unearth a Zaha or two, and attempt to hold on to the support, even with diminishing success on the field.
    Or we wait and wait and wait for a sugar daddy/mummy.
    Personally I'm for living within our means as the only long term answer.
  • Options
    yup would come out of the £72m, no doubt we would also receive better sponsorship deals too and improved gate receipts, also missing
  • Options
    I agree Seth but my comment was more to highlight that if our owners plan to make into the premier league is to continue signing decent league one standard players like Green and Hollands and hope that that type of investment pays off then the continuation of Championship football at best and 8 million pound per season losses is certainly assured. They are not in it for that so something has to give.