Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAFC Player - poor quality of commentary?

Comments

• Options
    This is the first match I've listened to for a while, and I think it was a lot better than last time. Thanks Pete.

Now, is there any chance that you could get them to improve the half time music on Radio Kent? ;-) I don't want to hear Driving Home for Christmas at this time of year (or any other come to think of it), even if they are playing it ironically, which I don't believe they were.
  • Options
    Much better today, Pete F, I can see you are really trying to comment on the game, but the longer the game went on the more the other fellow went off track.
  • Options
    I really enjoyed the commentary.
  • Options
    I think the main commentator was Jamie, he kept going off track and his commentary was poor compared with the Cardiffgame, but then agin maybe at times there wadn't so much to commentate on. However Peter did a great job filling in and bringing the commentary back - thanks Peter.
  • Options
    BI still think that systematic feedback on a game by game basis is the way to go.

Praise as well as criticism

Allows those doing the job /supervising those doing the job some data to base decisions on

Who knows, we might even land Pete a paid position : )

Seriously, we don't know who he will be paired with next, but if that next commentator had some data about listener's reactions to different styles it would surely influence their choice of style

Not fair to leave it to good old Pete to bring them round
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    i would really like to hear PeteF as the lead commentator, think he would do a great job. The other guy - Jamie Reed - is sadly not up to it - you can tell he is itching to talk about other stuff & when he does commentate it's so disjointed & funereal in pace - unfortunately i had to give up this afternoon & switch to the Bristol commentary which had me right back in the thick of the action as a listener with no mentions of twitter, pies etc etc etc

They should give PeteF the commentary job - when he interrupt's over the other guy & tells us what is actually happening it's pretty damn good!!
  • Options
    Ha we have absolutely no input in the music played, I feel your pain, Christmas tunes in November?
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    PeteF said:

Ha we have absolutely no input in the music played, I feel your pain, Christmas tunes in November?

Nothing wrong with;

'Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way,
    Oh what fun it is to see,
    The Charlton win away' Oi!
  • Options
    A suitable exception, when sung by the CAFC fans....
  • Options
    As I posted above regarding my communication with Jamie Reed last season he clearly thinks he is doing it right, and has no intention of changing. His attitude is 'disappointed' if you don't like his approach, and the caveat is that the mythical 'everybody else' likes it and only a titchy tiny minority have a problem with his work...oh, and he is the expert so what do we know.
    As has been said before, you may not be able to play the violin, but you can tell if it's being played out of tune!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First time I've listened for a while. I must admit I did notice Pete trying to drag his co-commentator back to the match a few times. Overall though I think the chatty style works quite well.
  • Options
    Thanks for the positive comments, will keep at it!
  • Options
    Comment of the night from Peter " I don't do twitter whilst I'm commentating". Well done Pete, that stopped Jamie in his tracks.
  • Options
    As an experiment, I listened to a bit of the Bristol commentary yesterday and ours was definitely better.
  • Options
    Listening to the commentary on Player reminds me of coming out the pub on a Friday evening when I was about 20. I always got home but was never quite sure how I'd got there. Sometimes there were clues as to what happened the night before.

My Saturday afternoons are like that now. I know who's scored (well, actually that's sometimes a bit fuzzy) and what the result is and I have clues given to me by someone as to how it happened. The picture is just not very clear, there are gaps in the information and I'm left with a rather vague feeling.

Another similarity in my analogy is that money disappears from my wallet and I'm not sure how I spent it.
  • Options
    Thought the commentary hadn't been too bad up until now, but for the last 5 minutes there's been none at all. We've had Ipswich Leicester, The Weather, Newcastle, Paul Peshisolido; Anything but Charlton.
  • Options
    Now were told that you can get shorts in the Turf Moor bar. Well, perhaps Mr Commentator, the whole point is that we're not at bloody Turf Moor. That's precisely why we're listening to the radio. Tell us about something we're interested in.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Now were told that you can get shorts in the Turf Moor bar. Well, perhaps Mr Commentator, the whole point is that we're not at bloody Turf Moor. That's precisely why we're listening to the radio. Tell us about something we're interested in.

You must hate Henry Blofeld. ;-)

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Cricket's different, there's plenty of time between overs to talk crap and that adds the the charm of it. In football you get two bursts of 45 minutes for everything, they should be telling us what's happening what's on the field not drifting away to whatever ephemera suits them. More than happy for them to go on about such things before or after the game or at half time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cottage Pie, nuff said.
  • Options
    Listened to Burnley coverage, sounds like the right call again.
    Was it jamie reed by any chance?
  • Options
    early in second half... David Unsworth rattled on about Scottish coaches at the invitation of Jamie Reed... no commentary at all
  • Options
    I gave up and tuned to Burnley's commentry after 10 minutes. This was far superior to the dreaded Jamie's commentry, I even was prepared to suffer their commentators nepotism
  • Options
    I am still confused is Reed employed by the club, Charlton Live or the BBC for these games - maybe it is time to get organised as so many seem to be unhappy with the service we are recieving from Charlton Player....
  • Options
    This afternoon's commentary was nothing short of a joke When will Jamie Reed learn that we are paying good money to listen to the game on Charlton Player and are just not interested in hearing his ramblings, most of which seem to consist of anything other than what is happening on the pitch.
  • Options
    Poor Jamie.
    #Newkishishev
  • Options

Poor Jamie.
    #Newkishishev

I don't think so - Kish was well liked by the majority of Charlton fans. I don't see anyone on here defending Reed - other than his Charlton Live mates.
  • Options
    Todays was one of the worst I've heard. I put Burnleys on who were going on about how lucky we were and how they were robbed by the officials and even that was better than our commentary.
  • Options
    I wish football commentators would remember that the people listening are not at the game. They need to remember to tell us where the ball is on the pitch, who has it and in what direction it is going. They should listen to radio 5 main commentators, who are usually very good at these basics, even if they can be a bit annoying sometimes.