Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAFC Player - poor quality of commentary?

Comments

• Options
    I think it's because it's broadcast all over so they feel there are many neutral or non Charlton fans listening. Hence all the different chit chat and also giving out the other football news of the day. I think if it was purely a CAFC Player broadcast they would stick to the game more. That's my take anyway because I can't see any other explanation. Today the commentary was abysmal I thought.
  • Options
    It's still today for you?

That was yesterday for me!

Ha
  • Options
    I had the impression Burnley had their own Player specific commentary team. Is this an option for us, seems a bit rich that we have to pay for this sevice which is essentially piggy backed onto BBC commentary that is available elsewhere.
  • Options
    Good question, oakster

From Airman Browns previous comment, it seems that is up to the club
    Or maybe the player people themselves
  • Options
    It does get frustrating at times as they tend to drift into a conversation away from the commentary during the game.

If you could see the game the breaks in commentary would be acceptable but it needs to be constant when broadcasting through radio.

• Options
    To be fair to the guy (I know I am very critical elsewhere), perhaps is it too physically demanding expecting a non-stop quality radio commentary for the full 90 minutes. I notice that when you have a live commentary on the big sport stations they tend to have more than one commentator and switch part the way through. Perhaps Jamie needs to have a section or two of this more relaxed conversational style stuff just to give his jaw a rest. Maybe the BBC (or whoever organises it) would do better employing two straight commentators than one commentator and one summariser.
  • Options

Think you might be right there Gazcafc. He seems to forget he's on the radio when he's chatting away. Can understand the need to use his little nuggets of info and swapping banter with his co-commentator when there's a stop in play, but he just seems to forget there's a game going on at times.......

This is my impression as well, the conversations were quite interesting at times but they can't be described as game commentary. But as Stig suggests, maybe it is a organisational failure and two game commentators are needed to ensure effective game commentary.

• Options
    I really enjoyed the commentary from Jim Bowen's love child on the Burnley channel. He had this quaint old fashioned notion that fans listening on the radio can't actually see the game, so might be more interested in what was happening on the pitch than listening to a one-man Mr Personality contest.
  • Options

I really enjoyed the commentary from Jim Bowen's love child on the Burnley channel. He had this quaint old fashioned notion that fans listening on the radio can't actually see the game, so might be more interested in what was happening on the pitch than listening to a one-man Mr Personality contest.

What's happening on the pitch? Gosh, how passé!
  • Options
    seth plum said:

PeteF said:

Hi Seth, The walk was not down to me.

Fair enough.
    Peter I, and I suspect others, recognise you can be in a difficult position etiquette wise in the commentary box. I hope you know that our complaints are not supposed to be about any attack on you or your efforts, the complaints are born from sheer frustration about not being able to be there to see the game, and therfore wanting the game described to us.
    If you read the match thread fron yesterday you will have an idea about, and indeed quite a lot of feedback about, the listeners experience.
    I listened to the Burnley commentators yesterday for large parts of the game, just to find out what was going on. I had to switch between them and ours because they kept banging on about the hand ball incident and claiming hand ball (from us) all the time (quite funny really), but at least they described the game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jamie Reid at his worst yesterday, I seriously think the guy is on a wind up. He spends so little time commentating on the the action that some players never get a mention throughout the whole game. What interest does he think 99.99% of his listeners have in taking their coaching badges with the Scottish FA?
  • Options
    Soooo...

We gonna do anything about feeding all these comments back?
  • Options
    How about forwarding these threads on to some one who deals with the PR of this stuff?. BBC? The club?
  • Options
    You are right

That would be a good start
  • Options
    He was far too busy yesterday scoring a late equaliser for York City...........
  • Options
    We are paying for a service here, something needs to be done.

Nobody wants to see Jamie Reid lose his job, just want the bloke to concentrate on the game, that is all.

How hard is it to get our point across? who do we need to contact?
  • Options
    Gazcafc81 said:

How hard is it to get our point across? who do we need to contact?

Airman Wendy Perfect Peter Varney Fuck knows.............
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I always thought Steve Brown used to be very negative towards us when commentating during our games years ago but I'd take that now any day of the week.
  • Options
    I haven't listened to the last two commentaries; I played tennis instead. I might cancel my subscription before next season. This is the only way to put our message across probably.
  • Options
    I have listened to the clips round up on Charlton Live. I know it is an edited selection, nevertheless Jamie Reed was very good in what I heard, and crucially fully described our goal so you had no doubt about what had happened. It would be nice to think the whole service was like this.
    I listened to the Burnley coverage yesterday, so I don't know the examples on our service that wound our listeners up...and I am aware that match thread regulars were indeed wound up by quite a lot of stuff.
    If Jamie Reed could cover all the play like he did our goal yesterday then there would not be a problem.
    As for other commentators? Hmmmn.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seth...

As others have said above, he didn't cover the goal properly at the time it happened

Am guessing the edited package you listened to on charlton live included a post-recorded segment

Am sure you were listening to the burnley commentary due to many of the problems others have listed
  • Options
    hmmm...I've looked at the options on there quite thoroughly..

While it is a starting point, I don't think that is what we are really talking about...

It's more about consistent feedback than complaining, imo
  • Options
    I sent the following using a link from one of the links MoG provided:

------------------------------------------------------------

I/We would like to give weekly (or biweekly) feedback to the BBC on the commentary provided for league games of Charlton Athletic football club.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

A large number of Charlton supporters pay for a subscription service to "CAFC Player". While this is not run by the BBC it uses BBC commentary.

Members of an online supporters forum - Charlton Life - would like to provide regular feedback on the commentary as well as suggestions for future commentaries.

How could we go about this?
  • Options
    I received this reply:

Thank you for taking the time to send us your views. We appreciate all the feedback we receive as it plays an important role in helping to shape our decisions.

It isn't possible for us to respond individually to comments, so this is an automated message to let you know that we’ve read your feedback and will log the details (removing any personal details) so they can be reported back to the wider BBC, including programme makers, commissioning editors and senior management.

Thanks again for contacting the BBC.

Best wishes

BBC Audience Services.

NB: Please do not reply to this email. It comes from an automated account which is not monitored.

--------------------------------------------------------

Dead-end
  • Options
    There is a customer service mail address on player help

customerservices@performgroup.com

• Options
    That was using a "send a comment" feature instead of "send a complaint" feature

(I thought it would be better to see this as 'comment' and not 'complaint'

will now try 'complaint' route
  • Options
    got this:

Your complaint has been submitted

Your complaint has been submitted. Thank you for completing the details on this form. We’re sorry that you needed to complain.

We aim to reply to you within about 2 weeks, but it depends on what your complaint is about and how many others we need to investigate and respond to. If we receive other complaints about substantially the same issue, we may send everyone the same reply for consistency and to minimise licence fee costs. We may also publish a public response on this website.

We will report your complaint to BBC staff by tomorrow so they are aware of the issue (your personal details are removed). Our overnight report is one of the most widely read reports in the BBC and ensures your complaint reaches the right people quickly, including senior management.

All the comments, appreciations and complaints we receive help inform our editorial discussions. Please read 'What happens to your complaint' for our full procedures and how we consider the issues raised in complaints and other feedback we receive.

BBC Audience Services
  • Options
    Next, I went to CAFC player

here: http://www.player.cafc.co.uk/contact-us

and sent them this:

---------------------------------------------------------

I am a long term subscriber to the CAFC (Charlton) player service.

I and other subscribers woudl like to provide regular feedback on the quality of commentary we receive.

Who should we talk to about this?

Many thanks.
  • Options
    Airman mentioned talking to the club about this too.

Who should be contacted there?