Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAFC Player - poor quality of commentary?

Comments

• Options
    iainment said:

So after reading all the above I will not take out a sub to the player - it sounds as if it wouldn't give me what I want.
    Commentary on the match.

My primary need from Player is to hear the games live over the air, as I can't get to any games. So it's an absolute Charlton lifeline, I rarely watch the highlights as the picture quality is so abysmal.

For me there are occasionally some good commentators out there. Thankfully there is usually the option to listen to the opposition's commentary which I do when the Smashey & Nicey type stuff is on from us.
  • Options
    The sad thing is that if the commentary was good more people would sign up because it would get around that it is a quality service.

What will happen is that people like me will just cancel the d/d because of the quality of the commentary.

Not a big problem for me, but if the club is benefitting from my income it would be short sighted of everybody to ignore it. I am sure that if you did a survey, people would be honest about what they feel. If I am in the minority so be it.
  • Options
    Sorry Seth but do you ever stop moaning ? Let me guess the valley pitch is the wrong shade of green for you or the St Johns ambulance volunteer has un-neat handwriting

A few years ago we didn't have this commentary service at every game and now your moaning that we have it due to a small issues?

Ideally we would all have Curbs commentating telling us every exact issue perfectly on the pitch and never making any mistakes but for £1.50 ish a week ? c'mon your not going to get that

I go abroad on work a lot of the year and this is my closest way to get into the action without being there. I don't know Pete personally but I listen to the Charlton Live show every week and have phoned in and he seems a very nice person so what I am reading here is you attacking a VOLUNTEER for giving you a service you want.

You have got rid of Emma, you wanted someone who knows about Charlton and can at least pronounce the players names right which you have in Pete. I personally like the chit-chat. It can go on too long sometimes fair enough however I bet it's a lot harder than you think to keep the action going for 90 minutes. In some matches there can be a really dull piece of play which suddenly turns out of nowhere into an attack so maybe the commentators do get caught off guard now and then but that's life

As for Jamie he in my opinion is one of the best commentators on Player. I have no problem with his game build up, his prior research (unlike some commentators) and he knows a bit about Charlton which is always nice.

This isn't designed to be an attack on you but all I can see is moan moan moan which fair enough if you were paying £20-40 a month like you are for Sky, but your not so be reasonable.
  • Options
    mikeking said:

Sorry Seth but do you ever stop moaning ? Let me guess the valley pitch is the wrong shade of green for you or the St Johns ambulance volunteer has un-neat handwriting

A few years ago we didn't have this commentary service at every game and now your moaning that we have it due to a small issues?

Ideally we would all have Curbs commentating telling us every exact issue perfectly on the pitch and never making any mistakes but for £1.50 ish a week ? c'mon your not going to get that

I go abroad on work a lot of the year and this is my closest way to get into the action without being there. I don't know Pete personally but I listen to the Charlton Live show every week and have phoned in and he seems a very nice person so what I am reading here is you attacking a VOLUNTEER for giving you a service you want.

You have got rid of Emma, you wanted someone who knows about Charlton and can at least pronounce the players names right which you have in Pete. I personally like the chit-chat. It can go on too long sometimes fair enough however I bet it's a lot harder than you think to keep the action going for 90 minutes. In some matches there can be a really dull piece of play which suddenly turns out of nowhere into an attack so maybe the commentators do get caught off guard now and then but that's life

As for Jamie he in my opinion is one of the best commentators on Player. I have no problem with his game build up, his prior research (unlike some commentators) and he knows a bit about Charlton which is always nice.

This isn't designed to be an attack on you but all I can see is moan moan moan which fair enough if you were paying £20-40 a month like you are for Sky, but your not so be reasonable.

Mike I tend to write a lot on this site, and you are of course completely right, the only reason I visit here is to moan all the time about everything.
    You probably know that already because you're such a frequent visitor yourself.
    In addition I am the only moaner regarding the central issue of this particular thread, gutted because I'm failing miserably to whip up a moaning support group to back me up and boost my ego.
    I am motivated to moan because it is the best and quickest way to attract attention and to get a reaction.
    The precision of your post is particularly impressive because you can clearly point to something I have written above which is an 'attack' on a 'volunteer' for 'giving me a service I want'. You are even right that I was the secret mover and shaker behind the disappearance of Emma from commentating on player.
    Fair cop mikeking you have me sussed. It is a moment on the road to Damascus, now that you have enlightened me could you please advise me as to how to proceed?

• Options
    MikeKing

You are portraying Seth - and by implications those like me who agree with most of what he says here- as attacking Peter Finch, but he is not. He is trying to suggest that the professional - Jamie Reid - could do a bit better. Well if you like the chit chat as you call it, fine. Me I would like it at half time and while players are injured. The problem is that when you get the A team of Phil Parry plus Allen or Scowcroft, or even the other Jamie ( Hill) doing it in his own, it is so much better, yet it costs the same. So what's wrong with suggesting how, very practically, Jamie Reid, (not Peter Finch), could just be a bit better? You know, like how you probably told Lawrie Wilson to be a bit better.

• Options
    Blimey, how much further does this have to go? There's no attack on Pete (I think he's pretty good) or any of the co-commentators, we all appreciate that the service being offered is a good one and we're not making any personal attacks. We just would like it if the main commentary focused on play-by-play football commentary for the 90 minutes. That's it.
  • Options
    Exactly

Also - charlton live is not being criticized in any way.
  • Options

Now grumpy AND confused.

Many pay for a commercial service called CAFC Player promoted (and linked) via the club's official website but if they express a view on its very poor quality on a Charlton football forum they are:

1. Moaning and groaning for the sake of it.
    2. Advised to write to the BBC.
    3. Harshly sticking the boot in to popular and loyal Charlton volunteers who give up their time for free to save the planet from extinction etc etc
    3. One of a small minority of moaners who don't reflect the vast majority of delighted customers spread across the globe.

I knew the Mysterons were running the club but now it seems like the Khymer Rouge have a hand in it too.

Its a business so please listen to your customers and provide a professional service at a sensible price. Thank you.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I was not attacking Peter Finch, not least because I didn't know who was commentating. I was critiscising the commentary on CAFC player and, in particular for, last Saturdays game. I think I have learnt a lot in the process including the fact that Peter Finch is an unpaid volunteer, although he may wish to consider putting that on his Twitter profile rather than to describe himself as a BBC summariser. I note also from Twitter that anyone who critiscises the commentary is regarded as being one of a number of rather ignorant people in need of enlightenment.
    I thus consider myself more enlightened now, I think Peter Finch is a loyal and hard working Charlton supporter who should be paid for what he does. I do regret that he has taken the complaint in such a personal way, that truly was unintentional.
    I have received an acknowledgement from the BBC of my complaint about the football commentary on CAFC player and the organsiation aims to respond to me within 10 working days (two weeks), depending upon the nature of my complaint.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So I think it is clear. Most of us have no problem with Peter Finch, and have never suggested otherwise. We agree that it's good to have a Charlton insider as the second person. I'm sorry to read what stilladdicted reports is on Twitter. Looking forward to hear the response from the BBC to stilladdicted.

But to pick up on MikeKing's post again, when he talks about the cost of Player. It is £45/year. Is that cheap? Well, compared to what you get for the much maligned BBC license fee, I would say it is not cheap. We should at least get BBC standard pro commentary on both live audio and TV for that money. Especially as the operation is part paid for by the license fee. At least 20% of the commentaries in a season will be lifted from BBC radio, especially if you get the "A-team". So we've already paid for that through the licence fee. Cheap? I don't think so. Fair value, I think so, esepcially for us expats, but we should expect a consistent standard, and not to be driven to listen to the opposition team's commentaries sometimes, which ought to be embarassing.
  • Options
    The past week has a been a little hard going, but I take the points made and will make an effort to try and see what we can do to improve things for you all.
    I accept that this is not an attack on me personally, I am more than happy to discuss any issues with you but not on a public forum, as it can get a little lively! feel free to message me and I will attempt to answer any queries or solve any issues.
    Here's hoping we get the 3 points Saturday
  • Options
    Message sent, Pete.
  • Options
    Think Pete has shown some balls to come on here. I Give the man some credit for that.
  • Options
    Ho Hum what a Plum.
    I am not defending Charlton Live, I never even mentioned them. I am not even defending the quality of the commentary, as it happens I agree with you that it is sometimes poor.
    What I am quite clearly pointing out is that complaining about it on here is about as useful as a chocolate kettle. If you want your complaints to be dealt with and actioned you have to point them in the right direction.
    However, I realise that all you wish to do is attention seek and make the people that do volunteer feel bad so go right ahead. I hope in some way complaining makes your life better. And if the outcome is that those who do volunteer decide not to bother then I hope that also brings you some level of satisfaction.
  • Options
    DRF said:

Ho Hum what a Plum.
    I am not defending Charlton Live, I never even mentioned them. I am not even defending the quality of the commentary, as it happens I agree with you that it is sometimes poor.
    What I am quite clearly pointing out is that complaining about it on here is about as useful as a chocolate kettle. If you want your complaints to be dealt with and actioned you have to point them in the right direction.
    However, I realise that all you wish to do is attention seek and make the people that do volunteer feel bad so go right ahead. I hope in some way complaining makes your life better. And if the outcome is that those who do volunteer decide not to bother then I hope that also brings you some level of satisfaction.

I wish to attention seek to make the volunteers feel bad, and make my life better by complaining. Yep you got me, see my reply to mikeking above. If the volunteers decide not to bother it will be all down to me, and I will have gained a level of satisfaction. All of the other complainants on here have written loads of letters to all levels of the BBC whilst I have only done it, well twice actually.
    Sussed again.

• Options
    PeteF said:

The past week has a been a little hard going, but I take the points made and will make an effort to try and see what we can do to improve things for you all.
    I accept that this is not an attack on me personally, I am more than happy to discuss any issues with you but not on a public forum, as it can get a little lively! feel free to message me and I will attempt to answer any queries or solve any issues.
    Here's hoping we get the 3 points Saturday

Thanks Peter, much appreciated. BTW is it still possible to email comments to you as you commentate? It know it has been in the past. If so I'll email a polite reminder to Jamie the next time he goes off on a tangent, to please concentrate on the action!

• Options
    You can try, but I usually have my phone off during commentary nowadays, it interferes with the sound quality
  • Options
    DRF

We have established that Peter Finch is a volunteer, whereas Jamie Reid is not. I have reviewed Seths posts and can find no criticism from him of Peter Finch. Indeed at one point he says that PF ought to get some thing for his troubles, which I agree with. At the very least, expenses paid.

So stop attacking Seth, please.
  • Options
    Lets knock this on the head please guys.

This has escalated because Seth has previous on here with one of the Charlton Live team. As a result, its probably been interpreted as 'him again' and seen as a dig at Charlton Live, which is why you get other Charlton Live people (and their families) chipping in in support on here or bitching on Twitter.

Which is a shame, because it is clear from a wider perspective that this has nothing to do with Charlton Live at all, other than two of the team are sometimes the assistant commentator. It's equally clear that although there may well be a case of 'him again' to a certain extent, that when you see many people saying the same thing, particular people like Oakster and Stilladdicted who i know by nature are anything but habitual moaners, then its a shame that any potentially justified criticisms will just get swept up as generic moaning.

At the end of the day, the commentary is a service that some people pay good money for and if they find it a poor service or not meeting the needs it should provide, and there is no other alternative than simply cancel, then they are right to raise concerns and attempt steps to see it improved. By posting on here gave it validity because a number of people emerged with the same frustrations.

I will say however, I've always felt it is one of those jobs that is far, far harder than what you may imagine. If you are that strong opinioned on it, record yourself commentating on a game on the telly for 45 minutes and then listen to yourself back. Then compare it to the critique in which you are judging. Of course you would expect a better service than that from pro's / semi pro's, but you may just soften your viewpoint on how difficult and bland pure commentating on the 'action' actually is.

I also think it is pretty scandelous that Pete or however else is the summariser is does not get paid expenses. I know these people do it because they want to and enjoy it, but it is providing for a paid service and those involved should be treated accordingly.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blimey if I have previous with one of the Charlton live team I have either forgotten it, or was not aware that I had been speaking to one of them. I also have no twitter account so I have no idea what is said there.
    Either way, I apologise if I have upset anybody at all over this.
    I have also taken up Peter's invitation to PM him to avoid this going on endlessly.
  • Options
    is it the clique again?

: - )
  • Options
    I would like to congratulate Peter and his lead commentator on their commentary for the last two games. A great improvement as the lead actually commentated and showed some passion for the club which left Peter to do what he does best and fill in with the detail - thanks guys
  • Options
    I can't comment on the last two games - actually being at the Valley - But I don't think this was an issue that never needed to go to the formal complaint stage. Some fans have pointed out some shortcomings that was affecting our enjoyment (we do appreciate it is a difficult job) and from LLs post above it seems improvements have been made. I look forward to listening on Sunday.

Well done to Pete et all for listening.
  • Options
    Brilliant last night Pete, really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    TEL said:

Brilliant last night Pete, really enjoyed it.

Seconded, although I was dying with him as Pete expressed dumb denial of what he was watching when Cardiff's 4th went in :-)

• Options
    edited November 2012

I would like to congratulate Peter and his lead commentator on their commentary for the last two games. A great improvement as the lead actually commentated and showed some passion for the club which left Peter to do what he does best and fill in with the detail - thanks guys

This.......it made my job of doing the match thread, on such a fantstic topsy-turvey night, so much easier to do, thanks Pete and Ian, keep the partnership together and there'll be lots of happy customers!!!
  • Options
    As one of the original "moaners" about the broadcast I have to congratulate Peter Finch, he has obviously encouraged his co -comentator to talk about the game instead of events that have little or no connection to the game. Well done Pete.
  • Options
    Couldn't wake up in time, what a game to go and miss! If the previous (Middlesborough) commentary was anything to go by, last night must have been brilliant to listen to. Well done chaps, keep up the good work it makes such a difference to know what is happening on the pitch whilst the game is in progress.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments, glad its improved, last night was an amazing game to do the summary, I was sat next to Iwan Roberts, we were both amazed at what we were seeing, and both drained at the end, those last 6 minutes were so slow!