Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Valley - Safety Advisory Group

I sit on this as a fans representative as I'm now working in the Health & Safety field. The next meeting is on 19th September.

The Safety Advisory Group covers all aspects of Health & Safety and Security at The Valley and the surrounding roads during matchdays. The Group consists of a wide variety of members including Supporters Groups, Police, St John's Ambulance, Greenwich Council, Football Licensing Authorities and of course the Club itself.

My role within the Group is to represent the fans views and raise any concerns with any Health & Safety issues people may have particlurarly on a match day. My secondary role is to assist and support the Club in its efforts to ensure full complaince with current Heath & Safety legislation and therefore ensure all visitors and staff at The Valley have a pleasant and safe matchday experience.

As an excellent conduit for the views of fans, Charlton Life is obviously a good starting point to get peoples views, opinions and comments on their matchday experience - particularly relating to H&S issues.

To this end if you do have any views or concerns about Helath & Safety and security at The Valley or the environs during matchdays, then please let me know, either by adding to this thread or via my inbox and I will ensure any relevant concerns are raised at the next Safety Advisory Group meeting in an attmept to resolve problems which may arise.

I will of course keep you updated on any response or actions taken by the Club to resolve those issues.

Just one request - "West Stand Car Park Pot Holes" is a standard item on the agenda :-)

Can this be made a 'sticky' please.

Comments

• Almost as important as the potholes but not quite. The continued smoking in North Upper bogs.,does my head in and illegal to boot.
  • Well done and good luck in your position.
    Who would I contact with regards to getting a travelator installed from the Liberal to the ground?
  • Good luck with the new role, give the bloke from the FLA hell : - )
  • Almost as important as the potholes but not quite. The continued smoking in North Upper bogs.,does my head in and illegal to boot.

Seconded!
  • Did the emergency lighting get sorted out. I do remember that was quite a farce sitting in the lower North last year.
    Could not hear a thing over the PA, and a lot of confusion from where I was sitting. Be good to hear that things have been upgraded and tested.
  • Is the north upper sufficiently designed to withstand bouncing?
  • Ken,

It was bought up at the last SAG meeting with a requirement that all emergency lights were to be checked to ensure correct operation. I raised the issue of monthly 'flick' testing that the BS required. I assume the annual three hour test is carried out but will raise the issue again.
  • Thanks addickted
  • Been a bit concerned recently about the number of people packed into the back few rows of the North Upper, especially around the H/J stairs. It seems like there are a lot of people who don't have tickets for this area which have a habit of just turning up and standing there anyway. It's not a problem if it's only a couple, but there were a few occasions last year when it was a problem. At best, it has a detrimental effect on the match day experience of those who are in the correct seats when people are standing 2 deep in each row, and at worst it's a health and safety risk. At the last game of the season somebody was actually forced forwards and fell down 2 or 3 rows falling onto another spectator, who I think was quite badly hurt, and in fact I very nearly followed! I appreciate crowds were bigger than usual, but there were other matches when the situation was almost as bad.

I have noticed that sometimes stewards will come up to move people off the stairs themselves into the rows, but this actually makes the situation worse. Is there anything that can be done about this? As a slight aside, there was also a fairly significant 'disturbance' in the back row at the last game of the season which went on for about 10-15 minutes - no stewards or police arrived at all. This does raise questions as to how well this section of the ground is monitored (especially as I would imagine this to be one of the highest risk areas in terms of spectator safety).

Finally, I would echo ken from bexley's comment about the PA system - this is virtually inaudible from the back of the North Upper when it's full.
  • Jodaius said:

I have noticed that sometimes stewards will come up to move people off the stairs themselves into the rows, but this actually makes the situation worse. Is there anything that can be done about this? As a slight aside, there was also a fairly significant 'disturbance' in the back row at the last game of the season which went on for about 10-15 minutes - no stewards or police arrived at all. This does raise questions as to how well this section of the ground is monitored (especially as I would imagine this to be one of the highest risk areas in terms of spectator safety).

Finally, I would echo ken from bexley's comment about the PA system - this is virtually inaudible from the back of the North Upper when it's full.

Agree with this , It seems that sometimes it is monitored by the Police Control Box but other times it isn't. Last season my mate got done for drinking a can of coke in block J , but as you say when a fight broke out there was no steward to be seen.
    Also the smoking is horrible when you have to go to the toilet, especially when you have to take children.
  • Sponsored links:

• Drinking a can of coke?

I should think so too!.......
    Frog marched to Belmarsh cells, and and brought up before the star chamber of the fizzy drink/cola .
    The health and safety implications are immense, the fact that this stuff rots your teeth, clogs up your body with sugary crap.......
    served up to kids in a sporting event can be ignored, wrong coke can, no way?...... it may be the real thing for the new seekers, but not down at the valley.
  • Can we have the confiscation of bottle tops stopped please. Been to several grounds where they give you a bottle of coke with a top on.
  • Jodaius said:

Been a bit concerned recently about the number of people packed into the back few rows of the North Upper, especially around the H/J stairs. It seems like there are a lot of people who don't have tickets for this area which have a habit of just turning up and standing there anyway. It's not a problem if it's only a couple, but there were a few occasions last year when it was a problem. At best, it has a detrimental effect on the match day experience of those who are in the correct seats when people are standing 2 deep in each row, and at worst it's a health and safety risk. At the last game of the season somebody was actually forced forwards and fell down 2 or 3 rows falling onto another spectator, who I think was quite badly hurt, and in fact I very nearly followed! I appreciate crowds were bigger than usual, but there were other matches when the situation was almost as bad.

This will almost certainly happen against palace - tends to be the games where a better atmosphere is expected. While I'm not a fan of the groups of 5/6 empty seats that sometimes happens in the h&j block and I'm all for the the best atmosphere possible, it's really annoying when some scummy little chavs try to fit 7/8 people in the space of 5 seats and there's very little room
    For the people who's actual seats are there.
  • cafc999 said:

Can we have the confiscation of bottle tops stopped please. Been to several grounds where they give you a bottle of coke with a top on.

Buy outside ground, take top off and stick it in your pocket (tell them you've already binned it, then put on back inside.

• cafc999 said:

Can we have the confiscation of bottle tops stopped please. Been to several grounds where they give you a bottle of coke with a top on.

Buy outside ground, take top off and stick it in your pocket (tell them you've already binned it, then put on back inside.

Normally do this but sometimes forget. Still a silly rule though especially as other clubs do not enforce it

• cafc999 said:

cafc999 said:

Normally do this but sometimes forget. Still a silly rule though especially as other clubs do not enforce it

yeah i know stupid rule, leaves me with a bottle coke sometimes as flat as the football.
    And besides i don't think i could make it to the pitch by throwing from row tt.

Haha as stupid as it sounds yes. A steward came up to him and asked him to follow him down to the concourse while the game was happening, told him that he'd been spotted drinking it from the police control box and then told that they could put it in a cup for him to take back up? All seems a bit of a waste of time when there are more serious things going on like fights and smoking in a public restroom.
  • CAFCdamo said:

Drinking a can of coke?

Haha as stupid as it sounds yes. A steward came up to him and asked him to follow him down to the concourse while the game was happening, told him that he'd been spotted drinking it from the police control box and then told that they could put it in a cup for him to take back up? All seems a bit of a waste of time when there are more serious things going on like fights and smoking in a public restroom.
    So when you said that he "got done" you meant "asked to pour it into a cup".

OK, maybe not the world's worst offence ever but "got done" sounds like he was arrested or kicked out.

• Have been concerned for a very long time about how steep the steps are in the East - I'm sure that applies to other stands as well. Older people really struggle and I have to ensure my old man goes down behind me with one hand on my shoulder. Saw an old boy last week really struggling to get down to the bottom. Not writing this just because you posetd, it is a genuine concern.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafc999 said:

The twisted way the criminal mind works for all to see. Are you related to Moriarty Folev ? ;0)

• Fix the roof above my seat in the north upper, at the hull game, I might have been better off on the pitch, next time I bring an umbrella.
  • CAFCdamo said:

Drinking a can of coke?

So when you said that he "got done" you meant "asked to pour it into a cup".

OK, maybe not the world's worst offence ever but "got done" sounds like he was arrested or kicked out.

"got done" seemed to work better than "told off like a naughty school boy for drinking a can of coca cola".
    Either way it seems like the stewards intervene when they want to. There's a bloke who sits a few rows in front of us who lights up a cigarette in his seat and even has a laugh with one of the stewards about it.
  • edited September 2012
    masicat said:

Have been concerned for a very long time about how steep the steps are in the East - I'm sure that applies to other stands as well. Older people really struggle and I have to ensure my old man goes down behind me with one hand on my shoulder. Saw an old boy last week really struggling to get down to the bottom. Not writing this just because you posetd, it is a genuine concern.

Not sure if it's feasible to change the rake of the stand.

However it might be worthwhile contacting the box office to see if you can move seats in a more convenient (i.e where there is not much of climb) position. Seats in the back row of the East can be reached from the back of the stand with easier access for instance.
  • Why does the club consider it safe to use a private Ambulance service instead of the London Ambulance Service for crowd safety. A few years ago the minimum requirement was two paramedics and a technician when now its two who possibly have no more than first aid training?
  • I do believe that something should be done about standing in the North Upper. I agree that people might like to stand up and don't particularly have an issue with it, until it effects someone else. There is a guy who stands next to me who point blank refuses to sit down, regardless of who is behind him.
    I've seen him get in to arguments with grown men with children, senior supporters and women. It's painful to watch as the stewards offer no support, it can also be a very intimidating situation. These seats are effectively blackspots and it's the clubs responsibly deal with these people. I personally think they should be forced to stand elsewhere if they refuse to sit or due to the fact that sitting isn't inforced in the north upper, I suggest that all seats sold behind row MM are sold with a restricted view warning.
  • cafckev said:

Why does the club consider it safe to use a private Ambulance service instead of the London Ambulance Service for crowd safety. A few years ago the minimum requirement was two paramedics and a technician when now its two who possibly have no more than first aid training?

I think you'll find that all football Clubs use the services of St John's ambulances. They have some very highly trained and competent staff - some of whom work for the LAS during 'the day'.

I also believe that there is always one LAS ambulance present at the ground - but I will confirm that.

• CAFCdamo said:

Drinking a can of coke?

I sometimes bring a bunch of 9 year old boys so i carry a small rucksack with tins of coke, sweets etc, i've never given it a thought and no one has ever said anything.
  • Where do you sit? it might just be the north upper where they monitor it that tight.
    Maybe they thought it was a can of lager , but we've drunk from cans loads of times before and after this incident and nothing has been done.
  • JTJT
    edited September 2012
    I was marched off to the concourse once for drinking a can of red bull in my seat. Fair enough it should be an offence to drink the stuff, it's horrible but i was hanging badly and didn't expect to be picked out lol.