Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Goal-line technology finally

Will be tested during the England Vs. Belgium game on June 2nd.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18190250

Comments

• think it's a gd move, few years too late really
  • Finally UEFA moves into the 21st century.
  • About bloody time!!!
  • As soon as FIFA snubbed our world cup bid, we should have started testing this independently of them.

Let's lead the way in footy like we always have done.

Don't forget that Blatter likes to highlight that the game was invented in China in 300BC.

We should just kick-on and do our own thing and let that FIFA lot bribe each other into oblivion.

.....and while we are at it, get an extra official on each goal-line for vital matches, like promotion/relegation deciders, playoff matches, cup finals, etc.
  • Won't be available to the officials during the game. Just to collect results behind the scenes.
  • Won't be available to the officials during the game. Just to collect results behind the scenes.
    It's a start.
  • Hopefully they make the results public, especially if there is a controversial decision.
  • at last.
  • Can't see why they have to trial during an England game with refs not getting the results- could just as well fully trial it in League two or Conference for instance. Would be much more useful. Is the reason they have chosen a England game, just to appease us - one of the forces calling for technology?
  • Sponsored links:

• They need to test it in a full stadium with 85,000 people in it. Stadiums move and viabrate with people in them and does that effect the cameras, the lines of sight, and the ability transmit signals.
  • The FA already done this for a domestic cup final this season. The Hampshire senior cup final which was at St Marys (southampton) between AFC Totton and Eastleigh FC. Again, it was just to collect data and to test the method of equipment, as there are various types all trying to become the chosen method, which will no doubt make the owning company millions if it's endorsed the world over...................
  • The FA and the Premier League also want to see the system in action as they've been backing Hawk Eye for a few years
  • They need to test it in a full stadium with 85,000 people in it. Stadiums move and viabrate with people in them and does that effect the cameras, the lines of sight, and the ability transmit signals.
    And that the system can't be tampered with
  • No! Don't sanitise out game.
  • Quite honestly what are he chances of it being needed in one isolated match ? Zero. Needs testing over a whole season in an entire division to be properly evaluated but as already said its a start.
  • It'll be a nil nil now...
    Seconded.
  • Something you don't really need matches to test it works- you can emulate a match much better, focussing on goaline clearances with cameras to check equipment is right.
  • How many times a season has a 'disallowed or wrongly allowed' goal occured ? .. If the proposed technology proves reliable and free from possible tampering, who will pay for it to be installed at (say) Barnet and Morecambe ?
  • Sponsored links:

Seconded.
    Double ditto

• With so much money in the sport now and relegation and promotion between PL and Championship there needs to be this now. Mistakes cost millions and technology can ensure human error is erdicated.
  • Something you don't really need matches to test it works- you can emulate a match much better, focussing on goaline clearances with cameras to check equipment is right.

You can't emulate a crowd though.

• You can't emulate a crowd though.
    Does someone want to tell that to this lot?

• The thing about technology is, you don't need to have it everywhere. You draw the line where the cost is prohibitive to clubs, but where it is affordable -it cures an injustice that could cost a club millions. Bolton can vouch for that this year.
  • Not anti goal line technology but that's where it should start and end.
  • Sadly once it's started I don't think it will end there.
  • Well actually "goal line" technology will end on the goal line but I meant I don't want technology introduced in other aspects of the game. I like the ref being in charge and making the odd nause up. All adds to the flavour.
  • I meant that we will have further technology entering the game, I can see a system of reviews, like it tennis, being allowed eventually.

Against it all tbh.
  • I meant that we will have further technology entering the game, I can see a system of reviews, like it tennis, being allowed eventually.

Against it all tbh.
    Yeah me too.