Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Goal-line technology finally

2»

Comments

• Options
    Since football was invented, through technology, everything has changed from the balls... to the players... to the boots... The only thing that hasn't changed is the ref; he may as well be standing there in a top hat and with a walking cane. I think it's time to help him out a bit; it only needs to be a censor on the goal line, like Hawkeye in tennis. It won't slow the game down at all, no more than the ref running over to the lino for another opinion anyway.
  • Options
    Since football was invented, through technology, everything has changed from the balls... to the players... to the boots... The only thing that hasn't changed is the ref; he may as well be standing there in a top hat and with a walking cane. I think it's time to help him out a bit; it only needs to be a censor on the goal line, like Hawkeye in tennis. It won't slow the game down at all, no more than the ref running over to the lino for another opinion anyway.
    Agree entirely however I think we should only be interested in goal line tech and not for anything else.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I've said it for years, goal line technology would be a fantastic addition to the game so long as it's simple and not just a camera on a touchline that the ref has to go and rewatch while 22 players stand around him. In basketball when the ball goes through the hope the backboard lights up. Why not have a small bulb in the top corner of the goalpost light up when the ball crosses the line.

What I don't want to see is the instant replay, I'm yet to meet someone who tells me that ref's should have access to camera's during the game without giving me a reasonable explanation to how it'd work. "Oh what about an appeal system?" So a player goes down in the box and the ref doesn't give it so he appeals, but the balls still in play, so we have to stop the game, and then what happens if the player was cheating (of course we all know a player would never do that) and he did actually dive, oh we'll just start the game where it was, no thank you. I pay my Sky Subscription to finish watching football on a Sunday afternoon before the old lady puts dinner on the table, I'd like it to stay that way.
  • Options
    Goal line technology should come in, for me something that is so important to the outcome of a game, a league or a tournament where the answer is either yes it crossed the line or no it didn't it is imperative that the correct decision is made.

For other decisions in a game I'm not really sure how much technology can help, a lot of the time the decisions a ref can make are not a simple case of yes or no. For example penalties, some might give a penalty and some might not, so when it comes down to it will a replay for the ref really help? We've seen numerous times that a slow motion replay can make a situation appear worse than it actually was, handballs for instance.
  • Options
    Definitely a thing for Euros, World Cup, Champions League and that sort of game. Good to see that they are actually willing to try it.
  • Options
    Goal line technology should come in, for me something that is so important to the outcome of a game, a league or a tournament where the answer is either yes it crossed the line or no it didn't it is imperative that the correct decision is made.

For other decisions in a game I'm not really sure how much technology can help, a lot of the time the decisions a ref can make are not a simple case of yes or no. For example penalties, some might give a penalty and some might not, so when it comes down to it will a replay for the ref really help? We've seen numerous times that a slow motion replay can make a situation appear worse than it actually was, handballs for instance.
    Pretty much my view only I'd add that in all honesty I prefer that the ref is in control of all the decisions and don't really care if he gets a few arse up. It adds to the flavour of the sport and as long asi am happy that the ref is not biased I think leave things be with the exception of GL tech.