Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: The TEN REASONS Charlton won the league - Part 3

Final part of this three-part series looking at why Charlton won the league.

Part 1 HERElooked at:
1. Board were clear they were backing their man
2. Summer captures were made early and the signing policy correct
3. A successful team was also formed off the pitch

Part 2 HERE looked at:
4. Opening Day victory against favourable opponents
5. The back four provided a brilliant base, and delivered points at a spell when goals were hard to come by.
6. The signing of Yann Kermogant

7. When setbacks occurred, the team quickly regrouped

Losing just five times throughout the season meant that setbacks were few and far between. However when they did occur, the team and manager responded in exactly the right way. Stevenage away brought the first stopping point. The fact the first defeat did not arrive until the 15th October was testament to just how strong a start to season Charlton had, and went into the game three points clear of the similarly unbeaten Huddersfield. League One this season provided a cross-section of tactical approaches, and Stevenage gave a stark reminder that every game is a potential battle, particularly against defensively organised and physical sides.

Chris Powell was clearly concerned with the physical and aerial threat they possessed, and omitted Chris Solly in favour of Morrison at right back, bringing Leon Cort into the centre. It was a tactical move he did not replicate again. The match was a frustrating, niggly affair littered with time-wasting and needle, and in hindsight we were unlucky to lose. But it proved that little clubs with the right approach and work ethic can overcome supposedly bigger and better teams, and every game has to be approached correctly in isolation.

The players seemed furious their unbeaten start had gone in such fashion. Chris Powell restored his back four back to its preferred balance, and the team responded with six successive victories. The below par, ten-man defeat to Leyton Orient again galvanised a similar response, prompting an eleven game unbeaten run.

The only other setback came with the back-to-back home defeats to Colchester and Notts County. This come as a surprise to many, but by then Charlton had been top of the league for six months with very few changes to the starting eleven. The psychological pressure as much as the physical exertion was beginning to take its toll, and Colchester was one of those games where the build up was hindered by the late withdrawal of Solly, the balance wasn’t right with Wiggins on the opposite flank, and it simply just didn’t happen that night.

The follow-up against Notts County, where Charlton conceded four goals in the opening 40 minutes really started to bring the nerves into play. For the first time this season the team were noticeably poor as a defensive unit, and duly got punished.

Like Stevenage five months earlier, it provided that little reminder to re-focus. Powell made a brave call to replace Matt Taylor, who had been a solid performer all season, and along with the introduction of a couple of loan signings, the team managed to find its edge once again to dampen nerves and see their way home.

Setbacks always occur throughout the season. The key thing is not allowing them to gather momentum, and Charlton responded in the right way every time.

8. The big games were won against rivals

Unless it’s got the words ‘play-off’ attached to it, Charlton have never really been a ‘big-game’ team. Certainly not against rivals, and definitely not when live on the telly. But Charlton didn’t just find a formula to hoover up points against lesser opposition this season, they also gave first-hand reminders to their promotion rivals exactly who were Number One.

Huddersfield arrived at The Valley unbeaten since the ball still had laces in. But this was to prove the night when supporters really started to believe we were on to something, and Huddersfield were duly dispatched back up the M1 with their record wedged firmly up their backside. Kermorgant and Ephraim grabbed the headlines with the goals, but this was very much a win due to defensive organisation throughout the side. Once we had scored our goals, we were exceptionally well drilled at a high tempo, smothering Huddersfield across the pitch, and they simply run out of ideas by the end. The feelgood vibe that had been building all season went into orbit.

January was to prove the critical month of the season though, and wedged in the middle of it were back-to-back games against what was emerging our two main rivals for promotion, Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United.

Wednesday had won nine and drawn two of their eleven home games ahead of our visit, and went into it confident that with a big, passionate crowd behind them, they were going to roll over the league leaders who they suspected of possessing a soft underbelly. But they could not have been more wrong.
A beautifully crafted Jacko free kick gave Charlton the advantage, and it was only a goal line clearance in injury time from Wiggins that threatened to alter the result. In truth, Charlton could have run out more comfortable winners, and the victory put down a massive marker that the team at the top were here to stay.

The following Saturday Sheffield United arrived at The Valley. The Blades were in similar, fantastic form with 24 out of a possible 27 points. Again, it was a fantastic Jacko free-kick that was the difference between the sides, and though United really put the pressure on during the second half, once again, the resolute Charlton defensive line stood firm.

The season was being billed by many as the battle of the two Sheffield clubs. But within seven days, Charlton had ensured that while the Yorkshire rivals may be taking the headlines, they’ll also be taking the minor places. Had results gone differently, Charlton’s gap at the top could have evaporated. In truth, it widened to seven and ten points respectively. But the psychological impact was just as decisive as the points gap. cont.....

Comments

• 9. Those that came into the side took their chance

The benefits Yann Kermorgant brought with his introduction have been covered in Part 2, but the big Frenchman was not the only player to come into the side and make an impact.

One of the key aspects while Charlton have underperformed during the last few seasons has been because when changes, either enforced through injury or through poor form have occurred, the player that has been given the opportunity has not grasped it. As a result, the side has weakened while the season has progressed, as opposed to maintaining the standard or strengthening.

This has not occurred this season. Kermogant, Pritchard, Hughes and Cort have all come into the side and put markers down with strong performances. Others, such as Russell, Ephraim, Haynes, Cook, Evina and N’Guessan have additionally all come into the side at some stage and either maintained the level, or in the case of Cook and N’Guessan, given fresh impetus. All of them have contributed important goals.

Where loan players have arrived in the past purely looking to gain fitness, this season there was no easy way to identify who was a loan player and who was permanent, testament to the acquiring policy, the squad ethic, and the attitude of the arriving player.

It was only right midfield where an on-going battle for the shirt between Wagstaff and Green was played out, with neither really having a strong enough run to guarantee their place. The cover Sullivan provided of Hamer failed to pose too many questions for the manager to consider once Hamer was available again. Of those others to receive opportunities, only Clarke and Euell failed to take them, which given the number of players used across a season, shows just how strong the squad performance was.

10. The team ethic, and team organisation were maintained throughout

Points 2 and 3 in Part 1 similarly covered part of this, but this was the ultimate reason Charlton won the league. Whether they individually were better than Sheffield United, Wednesday or Huddersfield could evenly be debated. What is not up for discussion is they were by far and away the most organised squad in the league, and probably the most close-knit.

Having a united squad is such an important commodity in football, but a group of guys who get on fantastically well on their day off is worthless if it’s not channelled correctly on a daily basis on the training ground and during the ninety minutes on a matchday.

Charlton’s level of performance was never truly outstanding, and no teams were ruthless steam-rolled. But it was a level that was consistent throughout the season, and so well organised it created so few mistakes it could potentially be punished from. The 09/10 season finished with Charlton 4th with 84 points, yet more striking opportunities were created that season (av 6.3 on target, 5.6 off target) compared to this season (5.7 on, 4.6 off), while equally less opposition chances were created in that season. Despite that, twelve less goals were conceded this season, testament to the goalkeeper, and the number of blocks made in the box, and goal line clearances that occurred during the year. If the opposition were to score, they were made to work fully for it, and that summed up the attitude of the side.

Nowhere was this better observed than at Oldham away.

Following what had been Charlton’s only wobble spell throughout the season, and with both chasing Sheffield clubs continuing to put the pressure on, Charlton were reduced to nine men following two debateable referring decisions. It was a tough match, played in windy conditions on a poor pitch. But the nine men stood firm and would not be breached, and somehow held on to a tremendous away victory.

That was the day Chris Powell will tell you he knew we would win the league. The character of the side had been tested to its absolute limits, and it had come through once again with the most slender of victories.

So many of this season’s wins have been about working hard as a group, as a collective, keeping team shape, taking opportunities and being difficult to be beat.

It may well have started as a season with ONE AIM

It ended successfully as a season with ONE TEAM.

• great stuff again AFKA ... cheers
  • That's it, my review of the ten main reasons Charlton won the league.
    To recap, they were:

1. Board were clear they were backing their man
    2. Summer captures were made early and the signing policy correct
    3. A successful team was also formed off the pitch
    4. Opening Day victory against favourable opponents
    5. The back four provided a brilliant base, and delivered points at a spell when goals were hard to come by.
    6. The signing of Yann Kermogant
    7. When setbacks occurred, the team quickly regrouped
    8. The big games were won against rivals
    9. Those that came into the side took their chance
    10. The team ethic, and team organisation were maintained throughout.

Do you see things differently ? Let me know what you would have omitted, and what you would have added.
  • It may well have started as a season with ONE AIM

And I thought my eyes had stopped welling up by now. Great season analysis, nothing more I can add. Brilliant!
  • Excellent AFKA, really can't quarrel with any of that.

Chris was oft quoted as saying that strikers win matches, defenders win Championships. Never was that more aptly evidenced than this season (point 5).

I posted a few years back that the margin between success and failure is small but it is the attention to detail, the little things, improved over time that makes the difference. We can all see those little improvements, touched on in your 10 points that have made a huge difference.

Each season will bring its own fresh set of challenges but as a club, we have started doing the little things right under the leadership of a total class act and backed by a board with a professional outlook.

Things are looking up in SE7.
  • It may well have started as a season with ONE AIM

Agreed ... terrific quote
  • Excellent series of articles and can't really argue with any of it.

For me it was 8. that swung it. Obviously the points gained and lost were invaluable but as you say the psychological impact was immense. Whenever a team seemed to be getting a head of steam up to close the gap we knocked them back down into the pack.

I would add our away form. World Champions St Louis Cardinals had a saying last season "Happy Flight" by which they meant that after a series of away games they would have a "happy flight" back home as they nearly always won the last game of a three game series against rivals.

Charlton had a lot of "happy flights/coach trips/train journeys" to reflect on how well they were doing rather than worry about a poor performance.
  • Excellent stuff. Thanks AFKA.
  • Excellent articles, great read, and pretty much true.
  • Interesting that BWP hasn't been mentioned.

Surely all his goals were a major factor in winning the league? We've gone so long without a 20-goal-a-season striker, and now we have one we go up. I know it's not as simple as that, but I'm slightly surprised to see him omitted.
  • Sponsored links:

• AFKA is my man-crush.
  • @EpsonAddick

Fair point to raise.

BWP scored 22 goals from 42 appearances. His goalscoring is only just on a par with what i would expect from the main goalscorer who played all the season for the top team who scored 82 goals. He done well, but there is nothing stand-out there for me, certainly no more so than say Hollands, Hamer or Jackson who haven't been notably mentioned, and the fact he come 7th in the Statbank rankings would pay testament to that.

Rhodes scoring 35 of Hudders 79 league goals, or Evans 29 of Sheff U's 92 goals would have been a stand out point had BWP done that. In better striking form, i would have expected BWP to have been approached 35 goals, and the fact he went 3-4 months without a goal probably explains why he is probably around 10 goals short of where i think he could have been, and should have been.

Ironically, whilst i've been disappointed with his striking, i think it is the other points of his game which have improved in the last season. If he is still our main striker next season, we will need him to be more prolific with the chances he has if we are to continue to progress.

Just my opinion.
  • Jackson was quoted as saying they had a session with a psychologist in Lepe in pre-season, and one of the outcomes was to break the season down into chunks of 6/7 games with a target of 12 points from each chunk - it kept targets realistic and achievable. Sounds like a very sensible plan.

Great stuff, AFKA, though I do think we'd have struggled without BWP - he really helped build the momentum that got us to the top early on. Shows how much was right when he doesn't make the top 10!
  • Both Rhodes and Evans are on the penalties, so Brad got all his from open play
  • Both Rhodes and Evans are on the penalties, so Brad got all his from open play
  • Excellant article AFKA ,one of the things I love about CL is this sort of analysis about Charlton.

Personally I think 6 ,7 ,8 and 9 are the most significant .

6. Without Kermorgant I doubt we would have finished with 101 points .Possibly a BWP / Hayes combination might have got us promoted but I think we would have been on a similar points level to the two Sheffield clubs . It also shows how nice guy SCP can also be ruthless when needed , I suspect we may see similar judgement calls this summer and next season.

One of the impressive things about Yann is that he reminds me of Horsfield , Moore ,Bartlett and Leaburn in that he does his defensive duties well . In defensive set plays it is like having an additional centre back .

7.One of the few truths that both Dowie and Pardew got right in theory was that it was how teams responded to set backs that is significant . SCP didn't just talk the talk he got it right in practice.

8.The two Sheffield games in January were emmense and Jacko deserves a lot of credit for the two excellant free kicks as well as his inspirational captaincy .I feel he is the best captain we have had since Kinsella .

The left sided balance with Wiggins ,Hollands and Jacko three genuine left footers meant we looked the part throughout the season on that side of the pitch .

9. I like the way SCP brought in Cook and N'Guessen to help us over the line and they did the job that was required when that little bit of freshness was needed . Likewise Cort felt like another new signing in that last ten games and Hughes Ephraim and Russell also played their part .

Personally I'd like Cook to come back because he maintained the left sided balance Jacko gives us if he can steer clear of injury which following the way he limped off at Preston might be too big an ask.

• @EpsonAddick

Fair point to raise.

BWP scored 22 goals from 42 appearances. His goalscoring is only just on a par with what i would expect from the main goalscorer who played all the season for the top team who scored 82 goals. He done well, but there is nothing stand-out there for me, certainly no more so than say Hollands, Hamer or Jackson who haven't been notably mentioned, and the fact he come 7th in the Statbank rankings would pay testament to that.

Rhodes scoring 35 of Hudders 79 league goals, or Evans 29 of Sheff U's 92 goals would have been a stand out point had BWP done that. In better striking form, i would have expected BWP to have been approached 35 goals, and the fact he went 3-4 months without a goal probably explains why he is probably around 10 goals short of where i think he could have been, and should have been.

Ironically, whilst i've been disappointed with his striking, i think it is the other points of his game which have improved in the last season. If he is still our main striker next season, we will need him to be more prolific with the chances he has if we are to continue to progress.

Just my opinion.
    All fair points, I certainly think BWP should have scored more than he did. Next season, if he is our main striker, he will have to convert more of his chances, because Championship teams will not be as forgiving of missed opportunities as League 1 teams have been. I think he can make the step up.
  • I would like to think that BWP and Yann will improve with a full pre-season together. I think BWP has probably felt under pressure to score in the past, and has snatched at a lot of chances rather than get his head up to look at the options available. As AFKA has mentioned Bradley contributes a lot more than just goals and many of us appreciate his workrate and effort when not on the ball.
    I hope they can develop as a partnership to their mutual benefit - and to the benefit of the team as a whole.
  • Let me know what you would have omitted, and what you would have added

Chris Powell - he had a vision of how he wanted the team to play, he had a good look at the squad he inherited and was decisive. Out went the dross and with them went some talented players like Reid and Anyinsah who had the attributes to be good players but never showed the consistency or the desire. In came strong players - Morrison and Taylor at CB, Hamer has had his destractors but has never hidden, Hollands was the calm, authoritative presence in centre midfield and the team was built around a strong spine.
  • edited May 2012
    You mention them more than most people bother to, but I still think not enough credit has been given to Alex Dyer, Damian Matthew and the other back-room guys. As usual in most situations the 'name'/'top' bloke gets more than his appropriate share of the credit. Of course Chris Powell is terrific and should be praised for all he did in leading his team but like with movies where the stars and the director get all the credit, it's easy to forget the cameraman and the writer etc without whom nothing exists. It was a team victory this season in every sense of the words.
  • Sponsored links:

• Great stuff as always, AFKA.
  • edited May 2012
    Jackson was quoted as saying they had a session with a psychologist in Lepe in pre-season, and one of the outcomes was to break the season down into chunks of 6/7 games with a target of 12 points from each chunk - it kept targets realistic and achievable. Sounds like a very sensible plan.
    That's interesting. I wonder if it was Willi Rialo. He was a big favourite with Sven and even helped to write his book.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2001/may/21/sport.comment2

• Absolutely brilliant article's AFKA.

You're going to hate me for nitpicking but, it wasn't the Colchester game where Solly was a late withdrawl, it was at home to Rochdale where Kermorgant scored a great free kick 3 minutes after Rochdale got a lucky goal. The Colchester game was crazy, I remember being so dominant and they scored a wonder goal and a freak goal.

I agree with all the top points, and also agree about the BWP points as without his goals, we wouldn't have been promoted. Yes he should have got about 30 with the chances he had but we got out 20+ goalscorer. The points of having genuine quality left footers in Wiggins, Jackson and Hollands were integral in our season as well, the natural balance was so important to how we were set up and played.

Everyone played their part this season and they've all been incredible.
  • Not taking anything from the players as they did great. But must feel that the league was the weakest its been for a few years.
    Sheffield clubs are big sides but they got beat by average mid table sides, Hudds had too many draws.

As were in the last two seasons weve been in two years ago Norwich,Millwall,Leeds.
    Last season Brighton and Southampton,Peterborough.
  • Jackson was quoted as saying they had a session with a psychologist in Lepe in pre-season, and one of the outcomes was to break the season down into chunks of 6/7 games with a target of 12 points from each chunk - it kept targets realistic and achievable. Sounds like a very sensible plan.

Great stuff, AFKA, though I do think we'd have struggled without BWP - he really helped build the momentum that got us to the top early on. Shows how much was right when he doesn't make the top 10!
    So even footballers are being managed by SMART target these days!
  • Not taking anything from the players as they did great. But must feel that the league was the weakest its been for a few years.
    Sheffield clubs are big sides but they got beat by average mid table sides, Hudds had too many draws.

As were in the last two seasons weve been in two years ago Norwich,Millwall,Leeds.
    Last season Brighton and Southampton,Peterborough.
    I'm not sure that's entirely fair, this is the 1st season that both Sheffield clubs were at this level, and it could be argued that both clubs are larger than the likes of Millwall and Brighton, and definitely bigger than the Posh.
    Next season could be a relatively weak L1, especially if Sheff Utd go up, unless 2 of the relegated teams from the Championship resolve their serious financial problems.

One other key reason for our success was the lack of injuries. Was that luck, an excellent medical team or signing the right players, as in previous seasons we've gambled on players with poor injury records (e.g. Anyinsah)? Jackson (signed under the previous regime) and Stephens were the only players with any signifcant absences, the core of the team went right through the season.
  • One other key reason for our success was the lack of injuries.

A general observation - but in successful teams players tend to ignore minor injuries and play on, while in weaker/less motivated teams where the team ethic isn't strong players tend to go missing a bit more often. JJ, BWP, Kermorgant all seemed to be carrying knocks of one sort or another and JJ in particular never looked as match sharp in the last third of the season as he had in the first third.
  • edited May 2012

Sheffield clubs are big sides but they got beat by average mid table sides,
    So did Charlton ......Colchester, Notts County, Orient, all finished outside the top 6.
    The other 2 defeats were to playoff qualifying teams.

Charlton lost only 5 games; Huddersfield 7.
    Sheff Weds lost 9 and still promoted. Sheff U lost 10 League games.

That goes towards explaining our lead at the top, especially when you consider that the Sheffields earned only 1 point between them in the '6-pointers' against Charlton.

• Well written AFKA and I cannot disagree with your 10 points.

One thing I have noticed is that no-one, from CP downwards, has mentioned Paul Hart in their congrats for the season - strange, or have I missed something?
  • I agree with everything you say AFKA apart from on BWP. I think the start we made was very important and his sharpness and finishing were crucial in making that start as good as it was. It is true he had a frustrating run but the team was on a roll and others chipped in with teh goals - but you can argue he played a major part in starting that roll.