Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NEW ARTICLE: The TEN REASONS Charlton won the league - Part 3

2»

Comments

• Options
    Well written AFKA and I cannot disagree with your 10 points.

One thing I have noticed is that no-one, from CP downwards, has mentioned Paul Hart in their congrats for the season - strange, or have I missed something?
    LL, I get what you mean but surely Paul Hart is running a separate part (although almost equally important) of the business?
    All others mentioned are directly involved with the day-to-day business of the first team set-up.
    Paul is responsible for the future players (well, some of them) of the first team.
    They have done very well this year – league and cup – but haven't contributed to the first team set-up this season (past alumni excepted!).
  • Options
    Thanks AFKA for a very detailed, and what I believe to be, a very accurate synopsis of last season. Wonderfully written to as well!
  • Options
    Great job AFKA.
  • Options
    Great write-up!

What about the players being more connected to the fans, especially JJ and his drinks giveaway to the fans on the train? This for me encapsulated the hombleness and spirit of the great players of old who travelled home with the fans after the games.
  • Options
    Enjoyable and incisive article. Also good points above about injuries.
  • Options
    Jackson was quoted as saying they had a session with a psychologist in Lepe in pre-season, and one of the outcomes was to break the season down into chunks of 6/7 games with a target of 12 points from each chunk - it kept targets realistic and achievable. Sounds like a very sensible plan.
    That's interesting. I wonder if it was Willi Rialo. He was a big favourite with Sven and even helped to write his book.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2001/may/21/sport.comment2

It was this bloke: http://www.robertoforzoni.com/
  • Options
    Sorry Afka but you have wasted your time, the reason we won is because I wore my lucky scarf to the matches, except the ones we lost.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Cheers Allez. Nice website that guy's got.

"1997 – 1999, 2009, 2011: Strategic planning and performance consultancy with Chris Powell (2011) and Alan Pardew (2009)
    Academy Coach: Seasons 1997/8, 1998/9"
  • Options
    Shame he was also associated with Pardew! Nice to see Charlton first on his client list.
  • Options
    I think AFKA has made the right points. I would add (apologise if I missed it) that the team managed to win games when it wasn't playing well. This was something we haven't seen since Curbs' days. It seemed in recent years that as soon as we played under par (when par was lower than this season), a goal was conceded. The back four laid the foundation while winning the big games made it (relatively) comfortable in the end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good posts AFKA.

When Wiggins signed Powell said

"As you know it's a big rebuilding process and I think he is a key, key part of the way I want to play."

Heard that sort of thing from other managers in the past, but it turned out to be very true. Powell didn't just sign good players with potential and the right attitude, they all fit together and complement each other.

It's not a coincedence that we signed two pacey attacking left backs. On the right we have a more solid full back in Solly with and Powell signed Green, who much closer to being an out and out winger.

Kind of fits in with AFKA's points about signing policy, team organisation etc.