Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: Thanks Charlton, from a newbie

2011/12 has been my first season coming to The Valley, and have thoroughly enjoyed it - despite a string of near misses early on!

My first visit was meant to be for the Oldham match. I'd bought a ticket online as I was staying at the Anti ahead of the Manics gig at the o2 and thought it'd be good to watch some football in the afternoon. Sadly I didn't arrive in time for the match, having encountered a load of travel issues en route from South Wales where I live. Near miss #1.

I made a point though of going to the Valley the next day, where I picked up a copy of the Centenary DVD. Ended up watching most of it in Victoria coach station waiting for the bus home, totally enthralled by these names I was so unfamiliar with, like Bartram and Seed and Welsh, and the stories of the 7-6 game with Huddersfield, the burst ball (ahem!) and the war-time cup finals. What perhaps most struck a chord with me was the Valley Party story. There was something about this club that was pulling me back in. So I bought a ticket for Rochdale.

Near miss #2. Got as far as Reading to learn the game was off, With my return train booked for hours and hours later, I still came to the Valley, this time a bit more educated to the club's fine history and that of the ground. After taking a few pictures and that, I got chatting to a longtime fan, and heard some great stories about Sam and his shop, and the Addicks teams of yesteryear. After a bit of food in the Valley Cafe and a few pints of Pride in the Rose of Denmark, it turned out not to be a wasted day - even if my second attempt to watch Charlton had indeed failed.

With work commitments midweek, there was no way I could make the rescheduled match. As a result, my first experience of Charlton live (rather than Charlton Life) was the Notts County match. Yes, exactly! Despite the result though, it was great to watch a game in such a... well, nice environment. Despite being a big club, there is a real sense of community at Charlton, and it was really refreshing. There is clearly massive pride in the club and its history, and yet it's not confrontational or hateful or antagonistic like a lot of clubs.

Picked a bit of a duff game in Orient for my next trip, but Wycombe and Hartlepool were fantastic days. The latter was certainly an absolute pleasure to attend. As someone with a growing interest in the history of our beautiful game (thanks in no small part to Charlton Athletic, Colin Cameron and that excellent DVD), it was an honour to be a small part of what was a historic day for Charlton. Also something about Sam's statue with the scarf on it was really moving I thought.

I just hope you don't mind me tagging along in the Championship next year.

Comments

• Brilliant to have a new fan! And your post reminds me what a special club we are. Should pass this on to Colin Cameron, guy does an incredible job.
  • Great story Ash!
  • 'Kin Gloryhunters.....

In all seriousness, That was a cracking post!
  • glory hunter...
  • go to the away games , they'll be nearer

nice story , how old are you (this is not a proposition)
  • Haha, I'm 27. I've always followed my local team rather than a football league side. Cardiff is my closest league side, but never enjoyed going there as a kid so never developed any attachment to them.
  • edited May 2012
    So are you close to Cardiff or Swansea and why don't you support them ? I can guess the answer & am flattered by what you've said, but I couldn't myself do the reverse trip & support either of them living in SE London.
  • Great to hear ash ! If only other people were more 'open minded ' to lower league teams like yourself
  • Covered End, I support Barry Town, who used to beat both in the 90s in the Welsh cups. As a result, these were always rival teams. Nowadays, one is a Premiership side, one is a Championship side, and we've ended up full amateur. But I can't watch either without it feeling, well, a bit wrong. I guess the closest equivilent would be supporting Millwall or Palace if Charlton tumbled down the leagues.
  • Cheers Sammy, and others.
  • Sponsored links:

• Aah Barry Town - lush :-)
  • Great post AshC, seems there are a few down that way. Im near Ross on Wye, we should arrange transport.....
  • Valleys Express? ;-)
  • Probably my favourite post of the season! :)

I'm the same age as you so find it amazing that you could just pick up another team like that (only because I can't imagine it happening to me!)

Hope you enjoy many more seasons following this special club, at least Cardiff away next season will be a local one for you!
  • Great story to go with a great season.
  • So, who's going to be first to buy that man a pint? he certainly deserves one.
    Where do you plan on sitting Ash?
  • What made you choose Charlton AshC?
  • Great post AshC, seems there are a few down that way. Im near Ross on Wye, we should arrange transport.....
    That's cos they like it down the valleys boyo.
  • "Sefyll yn gadarn dros y pencampwyr".
  • Nice story Ashc you know it makes sense.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2012
    Haha, I'm 27. I've always followed my local team rather than a football league side. Cardiff is my closest league side, but never enjoyed going there as a kid so never developed any attachment to them.
    I've never enjoyed going to Cardiff either ..... got thrashed 6-1 (with 2 own goals) for my first visit. And our coaches had the windows bricked in; nice people. The Millwall of Wales.

But I have seen Killer score a hatrick there in a thumping 3-0 win, and a Matt Holland inspired 2-0 win when our friend Pardew was scheming our demise.

Anyway, great story and now that you are Addickted, welcome to the fold.

Can't you read or what bit don't you understand from his detailed first post ?
    yes there's a real sense of community at Charlton...........
    Sorry only read from near miss one did not scroll up and didn't realise, sorry for mistakes they happen funny that isn't it, i'll just go crawl in my hole of shame because of your mean comment and the fact that i must really care about you sarcastic abuse...YES i'll just do that.
  • Furry muff.
  • edited May 2012
    "I'm so cra-a-a-azy........"

;o)
  • Great post Ash. I'll let you into a secret. When I was a lad, I supported.............Chelsea......cough, cough. I did go to the Valley a few times as my Dad supported the Addicks.

There was just a point when I realised I really cared about this club. It has never left me. It perhaps takes somebody who is new to the Club to put their finger on what it is. You have summed it up perfectly.

Its great to have you along for the journey with us. I have to warn you, its not always as good as the 101 points haul this season but I wouldn't miss it for the world. Its the tough times that make me appreciate the good times. It doesn't get much better than days like Saturday and seasons like this.
  • Super post AshC. Yes, of course, keep coming. And bring your friends as well - the more the merrier as they say.

As for Barry Town, there's some connections between us and them: http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/44086/fred-whitlow-1927-31
  • Yes, that was a great post AshC. It makes me so proud and a bit humbled to learn of somebody from nowhere near Charlton, with no natural attachment to the team or the area, who is learning to love the team that I have worshiped with a passion since I was about 8 years old. So nice to hear.
  • That is brilliant Ash, kind of echoes my own experience over 20 years ago, just fell in love with this club, and everything about it.