Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: Open Letter to Messrs. Slater, Jiminez and Murray

Having written critically in the past about the negative impact boardroom indifferences have had on our club, I can’t tell you how pleasing it is to write the following words to Messrs Slater, Jiminez and Murray.

Thank You.

Obtaining straight answers and honest assessments from football chiefs has increasingly become akin to interviewing an MP in recent years. Polished and PR perfect, a comforting answer that the listener wants to hear is always around the corner. But we all know that they are hollow words and largely taken with a huge pinch of salt.

Whilst uncertainly and a small degree of suspicion on the medium and long-term strategy of club will always remain whilst the ‘Mysterons’ that allegedly wield the financial power remain in the shadows, there can be no doubting that the short-term approach adopted by the new board since their arrival 16-months ago has been nothing short of faultless. Not just in the actions that have been taken, but that they have been proved true to their word. And as fans, surely that’s all you can ever ask for, isn’t it ?

In January 2011, Michael Slater said:

“Our plan for Charlton is to run the club on a sensible financial footing and develop a commercial plan to ensure we make progress on and off the pitch to meet the expectations of our fans. What we won’t do is create unrealistic pie in the sky expectations. We will always live within our means, and with a sound commercial approach and the run of the ball on the pitch, our aim is to make steady, upward progress and bring success to The Valley”

Immediately, a new manager who showed their vision on how the club should be run was sought, one who would galvanise fans, whilst a proven scorer at this level was acquired for a knock down fee. Off the pitch, the big screen was reintroduced, as was a return to aggressive and market-leading ticketing promotions, and automatically a vibrancy had returned to the club that had been missing for a number of years. The dire run of form that concluded last season clouded this reinvention, but in hindsight proved the true catalyst to rip up the playing side of the squad and start again.

During this period, strong public backing of the manager at what could have been yet another period of uncertainty quickly smothered any real replacement suggestions.

The Hartlepool finale twelve months ago was played amid the most opposite backdrop possible to the one that will play out tomorrow, yet Michael Slater was again clear with his message for supporters:

“A number of clubs in the Football League are at a crossroads right now. We’re fortunate that we are four months down the road and that we are going in the right direction, albeit not at top speed. I’m sure many fans will view this season as an opportunity missed, but that’s not how I see it. I’m in the privileged position of knowing what’s going on behind the scenes – seeing the investment being made in the academy and scouting set up.

“So will this investment alone secure promotion? No. What it will do is create solid foundations so that when we are promoted, we have a strong platform from which we can push on.

“What will bring promotion is building the right squad. This will require more immediate investment, and the process has already begun in earnest.
“As fans, the minimum you should expect from players is commitment. This will be one of the key factors that Chris Powell takes into account when putting together his squad for 2011/12.

“I want to see a squad of players that show the same level of passion and commitment that he exhibited as a player.

“Incoming managers at any club often say that to achieve success, they need to build their own team. I’ve been cynical when I’ve heard that in the past, but, from my privileged vantage point, I don’t doubt the truth of the comment. In fairness to Chris, he hasn’t said that to me, but it’s a fact that he and the board understand.

“This summer will be a very important period for the club. We will start next season with financial security and proper foundations for the future. The last piece in the current jigsaw is a squad that will produce the sort of performances you expect and that should win promotion to the Championship.

“Tony Jiminez and I believe that the team Chris creates should be able to not only win promotion, but compete in the Championship. Norwich have this season, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Southamption do something similar next term. This has to be our next objective. There is a gulf between the Premier League and the Championship, but only a small gap between the Championship and League One.

“Onwards and Upwards”.

There can be no doubting that ‘the plan’ has been adhered to both meticulously and successfully. Chris Powell was given the resources to rebuild his squad, the investment in the scouting set up clearly paid dividends, and the squad was packed with committed players with the desire to gel as a group, and the will and skill to succeed.

Away from the first team, the acquisition of Paul Hart was a clear indication of the commitment to the academy and it already appears to be paying dividends. Not only did the U18 team complete a much improved season, but the first team is likely to see an ex-academy product as the run-away player of the year. Steady, sound foundations leading to progress.

When I heard that neither of the ‘owners’ were present at Carlisle to see us cap promotion, I was initially a bit disappointed. They have not come into the club as fans, and it’s moments like that final whistle that can really ingrain a club into you.

On reflection, I glad they weren’t there.

These guys are ruling this club coolly with their heads not their hearts, and are so far maintaining their starting principles and continuing to make the right decisions. If I was you, I would pay careful attention to what Mr Slater has to say in tomorrow’s programme.

He is certainly proving worth listening to.

And finally to Mr Murray.

His stewardship of the club proved an amazing rollercoaster of continued highs following but a sharp, devastating crash. From what had been such a successful enterprise had somehow resulted in a complex web of decline that gathered momentum and proved difficult to halt. When things were at their worst, Mr Murray, probably against his better judgement, took the decision to finally put the club into a sounder financial position and released it from its convoluted structure. Many others made financial sacrifices amidst this that should not be forgotten, but My Murray took the major gamble to make this happen. As a result of what has followed, his popularly and legacy of his stewardship of the club remains firmly intact.

Which I suspect was what he really wanted.

Whilst those on the pitch and in the dug out rightly get their names sung to the rafters tomorrow, spare a few moments to remember those in the padded seats that have made this happen. There was a time not very long ago that celebrations at The Valley felt like they may never happen again.

"Onwards and Upwards".

Comments

• And we shall spare a thought for you our little leader.

Nice article and I shall buy a programme as you say. Whether i get it home is another matter.

What a difference a year makes.
  • Amen to that Brother : )
  • Well written AFKA.

How many signatures can we get added to your letter?

Mine for one.
  • great article, it's been an amazing 12 months and there's an awful lot of people to thank at the club.....lets hope this is just the beginning...
  • Well said AFKA.
  • Good article as ever AFKA.
    Re Slaters comments on Soton, he was spot on, is he Mystic Meg?

“Tony Jiminez and I believe that the team Chris creates should be able to not only win promotion, but compete in the Championship. Norwich have this season, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Southamption do something similar next term. This has to be our next objective.''
  • great article and well timed before tomorrow.

"Valley Floyd Road, oh mist rolling in from the Thames
    my desire is always to be found at Valley Floyd Road
    many miles have i travelled, many games have i seen
    following Charlton my favourite team
    many hours have i spent in the Covered End Choir
    singing Valley Floyd Road my only desire
    Valley Floyd Road, oh mist rolling in from the Thames
    my desire is always to be found at Valley Floyd Road"
  • Well written AFKA.

How many signatures can we get added to your letter?

Mine for one.
    Mine too, when i applaud tomorrow, claps will ba aimed towards those padded seats too.

"Norwich have this season, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Southamption do something similar next term. This has to be our next objective."

This was some comment/prediction too, clearly Mr Slater knows what he is talking about!

• Good piece

A stumbling couple of early steps but the Club is now striding forward in the right direction.

• If City win the Premiership Michael Slater's had a fair old year hasn't he?

Well said AFKA.
  • Sponsored links:

• Certainly can't fault anything that they've done, & well done Richard Murray for not taking the first offer that came into the club.
    My interest & excitement have been recharged by what has happened this year & I don't mean winning alone but the levels of commitment & team spirit by quality players that want to play for our club.
    Big thanks to all involved (never thought I'd start going to away matches again !!!)
  • Excellent
  • Everyone looks like they're doing a good job when things are going well
    But when it turns sour and the shit hits the fan is when the true nerve/verve and standing of a real man will be shown
    This board of punters held firm despite the flack being shown when SCP had a disastrous end of season and they backed him and got their just rewards .....
    Its what they do when things start going proper tits up is when I will start wanking them off
    Murray(great under curbs, clueless when he left, says it all) had the best interest of the club at heart when the shit was hitting the fan (literally)
    This new (invisible) mob have done perfect so far but if things were to go horribly wrong ...that is when we will find out what they are made of ..... History shows they have been perfect just as murray was by holding firm with Sir Alan Curbishley .......and I'm sure murray took a good financial. Kicking to boot ...
    But when this new posse wants to depart the scenes and how and who to is when they will prove their real worth .......
    Thanks to them undoubtedly gor steadying and plugging the leaks to this sunken ship but bj's will be held for when it really matters
    Onwards and upwards
  • Such a way with words (and facts).
  • Well said AFKA, it's been a long season, but we are back!
    But when it turns sour and the shit hits the fan is when the true nerve/verve and standing of a real man will be shown
    This board of punters held firm despite the flack being shown when SCP had a disastrous end of season and they backed him and got their just rewards .....
    Its what they do when things start going proper tits up is when I will start wanking them off
    Murray(great under curbs, clueless when he left, says it all) had the best interest of the club at heart when the shit was hitting the fan (literally)
    This new (invisible) mob have done perfect so far but if things were to go horribly wrong ...that is when we will find out what they are made of ..... History shows they have been perfect just as murray was by holding firm with Sir Alan Curbishley .......and I'm sure murray took a good financial. Kicking to boot ...
    But when this new posse wants to depart the scenes and how and who to is when they will prove their real worth .......
    Thanks to them undoubtedly gor steadying and plugging the leaks to this sunken ship but bj's will be held for when it really matters
    Onwards and upwards
    100% Champions, 0% Division One, hopefully, ever again.

and breathe......

• great post AFKA ... and Slater's article tomorrow will definitely be intriguing ... our club has been rescued from what could have been disaster ... the board have to be saluted for that
  • But when it turns sour and the shit hits the fan is when the true nerve/verve and standing of a real man will be shown
    but bj's will be held for when it really matters
    When you say literally......

Despite this vile post, great article AFKA. Thank you.

Onwards and upwards
    I'm quite sure there would have been even more of this had we not been successful this season, but the investment in both the playing side and in the manager from the owners would still have been invaluable to this great club. Yes the owners will face future challenges where their mettle will be tested of course, but if all you can say is 'so far so good' it might be worth limiting yourself to that.

Credit where it's due, the heart of the club beats once again. And so I'm adding my virtual signature to the letter too - whatever the future may hold.
    Onwards and upwards
    Badly timed and inappropriate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Great article AFKA, giving voice to the gratitude the vast majority of us must feel.

Not sure about oohaah's offensive contribution... just why?
  • Well said AFKA. Can't wait for the new season to start... and we haven't even had our celebration day yet.
  • Not sure about oohaah's offensive contribution... just why?
    mmm good question
  • I think they've done brilliant, so far, because SCP was a massive gamble and it has paid off beyond all our wildest dreams
    The hidden investment has helped back SCP to get the right team to get us out of the division and fairplay
    Sorry if the (very) crude wording is offensive but we know they're not in it for the blind love of Charlton but hopefully like Murray the enentual love for the club will help us in the future
  • edited May 2012
    Great article AFKA, giving voice to the gratitude the vast majority of us must feel.

Not sure about oohaah's offensive contribution... just why?
    He has to keep the pantomime going.

• oohaa showing some negativity?

Surely not.

Good piece D.
  • Shock horror the rose tinted brigade offended by some realism
  • Not offended at all, but you could clearly see I wrote it as an appreciation piece, and for some reason you seem to want to derail it into another nothing, trivial bitching thread, even though I suspect you agreed with most of the things I wrote.

Times are good at the moment, why stick an unnecessary spanner in works ?
  • I'm Solly
    But was just adding a word of caution , admittedly(very) badly worded but also with respect to Murray who held out for the good of our club
    And all the way thru I've commended them for the gamble they took with SCP , he who dares rodney he who dares
  • I'm Solly
    But was just adding a word of caution , admittedly(very) badly worded but also with respect to Murray who held out for the good of our club
    And all the way thru I've commended them for the gamble they took with SCP , he who dares rodney he who dares
    Then why not say that?

I agree, as I often do with you, that it is still very early days and the proof will be how they all (MS, TJ, Mysterons and SCP) perform over 5 or 10 years. But so far so good and the infrastructure in being put in place.

And why the knee jerk that anyone who feels even slightly positive is "rose tinted". taking of BJs and w***ing isn't "realism". It's just purile postering.

Anyway, in respect to AFKA and his article lets leave it there.