Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic - Day by Day

edited January 2012 in General Charlton
1st January

1975: Charlton 4 (Horsfield 2, Powell, Warman) Colchester 1
1988: 0-0 at Old Trafford
2001: Charlton 1 Arsenal 0 (Johansson)
2002: Charlton 3 Ipswich 2. Marcus Bent put the visitors 2-0 up within 5 minutes for us to come back with goals from Robinson, Parker and Euell.
2003: League match against West Ham postponed because of a waterlogged pitch.
2011: Colchester 3 Charlton 3 (Jackson 2, Benson)

Comments

• Wasn't it Marcus Bent who scored the goals for Ipswich in 2002?
  • Wasn't that Marcus in the Ipswich game?
  • D'oh! Beaten by Deadred!
  • Lets call it a draw both timed in at 1.29
  • edited January 2012
    FFS - was there ever a poorer start to a new thread? Doh!   Cheers guys, I'll get it amended.

• Yeah, and we all thought, "blimey, this fella's good". Little did we know.
  • At least you stick your head above the parapet Stig those that never start a thread never make a mistake!
  • The draw at United in 88 saw Bolder produce the best display that I have ever seen from a Charlton Keeper.  United kept on creating chance after chance but everything was kept out.

• The draw at United in 88 saw Bolder produce the best display that I have ever seen from a Charlton Keeper.  United kept on creating chance after chance but everything was kept out.

Too true.  Nothing was going past Bolder that day, even Fergie gave him credit for his performance.
  • Big Bobs showing that day was up there with Nicky Johns at Plymouth and Sasa at St Andrews in the unbelievable category. It never stopped raining all day and our coach broke down - got there at five to three as I remember. They must have had 30 shots on target, think we had Carlo and Andy Jones chasing the odd hoofed clearance at the other end.

• Sponsored links:

• I remember that Ipswich game well - I was SO hungover, but my dad made me go as we had already bought the tickets.  After 5 minutes I wished I hadn't gone.  Still, it all turned out for the best!

• 2002: Charlton 3 Ipswich 2. Marcus Bent put the visitors 2-0 up within 5 minutes for us to come back with goals from Robinson, Parker and Euell.

I remember this game well. I was hanging. Parents pulled the car over half way down the M11 so I could throw up. I then put a fiver on Charlton to win 3-2 and the odds were 28/1.
    All at the tender age of 16. Proof underage drinking and gambling pays
  • 2nd January

1920: Alex McCrae born. 8 goals in 46 appearances between 1947 and 1948 including 2 on his debut. Sold to Middlesbrough for £10k.
    1959: Steve White born. 12 goals in 31 appearnces.
    1978: Andy Hughes born on Stockport. 8 appearnaces for The Addicks to date.
  • The 2002 Ipswich game was all down to Robinson. I remember we went 2-0 down and nothing was happening. Johnny then went straight through one of the ipswich players on the right sideline and it seemed to fire up everyone including the crowd.

His point blank save in front of the away end from bryan robsons header was ridiculous , I'm pretty sure robbo was almost turning away to celebrate as he headed it

Great memories
    Who feels old !
  • edited January 2012
    3rd January

1998: Charlton 4 Nottingham Forest 1 (Robinson, Brown, Leaburn, Mendonca) in FA Cup.
    2000: Charlton 3 Nottingham Forest 0 (Shields, Stuart, Hunt) in Div 1.
    2009: Jonjo Shelvey scores against Norwich in the FA Cup to become Charlton's youngest ever first team goalscorer; aged just 16 years and 311 days.
  • 3rd January

1998: Charlton 4 Nottingham Forest 1 (Robinson, Brown, Leaburn, Mendonca) in FA Cup.
    2000: Charlton 3 Nottingham Forest 0 (Shields, Stuart, Hunt) in Div 1.
    2009: Jonjo Shelvey scores against Norwich in the FA Cup to become Charlton's youngest ever first team goalscorer; aged just 16 years and 311 days.
    that 4-1 over Forest in the Cup was a really good game, a classic Cup tie, we'd been beaten 5-2 at The City Ground a few weeks earlier (and there was a lot of trouble if i recall correctly)...
  • Yeah I remember that cup game, was a sweet one cos Forest (along with Boro and Sunderland) were getting a lot of hype that season while we seemed to be getting overlooked (sound familiar?) but we absolutely smashed em in that game. Was very satisfying and confirmed we were genuine contenders that season.
  • 4th January

1947: Frank Lock makes his first of 230 appearances for the club against Man Utd at Maine Road.
    2003: Charlton beat Exeter 3-1 in the third round of the FA Cup.
    2011: Parky sacked.
  • edited January 2012
    2003: Charlton beat Exeter 3-1 in the third round of the FA Cup

• Sponsored links:

• 2012: Off_it had a big poo. No news there.
  • Blimey - a real rarity, Blomqvist played!
  • edited January 2012
    Saw blomqvist on telly the other day playing for man u in the Masters soccer six or whatever it was , kinsella was playing for villa (that just felt wrong!)
  • Cheers for posting that Beds.  That is one optimistic article, "and must now believe Charlton's name is on the magical FA Cup"!  If only it was. 
  • Blomqvist - Curbs panic signing on the first deadline day along with Robbie Mustoe.

• Oh look the famous Euell - Bart Williams centre midfield pairing....those were the days
  • 4000 exeter.... amazing how these little clubs get big numbers for an FA Cup tie
  • edited January 2012

5th January

1946: Debut of Arthur Turner who played nine first class games for Charlton scoring seven goals. All games were in the FA Cup, including a final appearance.
    1997: Charlton effectively end Kevin Keegan's contract as Newcastle manager as we drew 1-1 with the Geordies. Kinsella for us, Lee for them.
    2008: Kelly Youga's debut in a 1-1 cup draw with WBA. Will we ever see him again?

• 5th January

1946: Debut of Arthur Turner who played nine first class games for Charlton scoring seven goals. All games were in the FA Cup, including a final appearance.

How could someone play 9 times but only in the cup?
    Is it the case that the league was not up and running due to the war and other games played do not count as first class fixtures?
  • 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th rounds were all over 2 legs.