Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic - Day by Day

Comments

• 1946: Debut of Arthur Turner who played nine first class games for Charlton scoring seven goals. All games were in the FA Cup, including a final appearance. 

Below is the newspaper report from the F.A Cup Semi final win against Bolton in which Arthur Turner played. 

• Good article.  Cheers Beds.
  • No problem.
  • i wonder how many fans we took to that semi-final?? oohaah must know....
  • Joking aside it would be interesting to know if we had a big away following back in the 40's.
  • I want one of those cameras
  • Strange , I can't find the website anywhere on the advert .....
  • 6th January

1963: David Madden born. Just 24 appearances and 1 goal for the Addicks in the 84-85 season.
    2001: 1-1 draw with Dagenham in the FA Cup.
  • I thought dave madden had made a few more appearances than that , scary how the memory plays tricks on you and no I'm not thinking of lawrie
    11 years since non league daggers bought a big old boisterous crowd to the valley , did salako equalise late on ??
  • What a good memory you have.  Yes, Salako in the 86th minute after Junior McDougald had given them the lead in the 42nd.  

We left it even later in the replay, Shaun Newton scoring the only goal in the 91st.
  • Sponsored links:

• i think the replay went to extra time but not certain

i was busting for a dump and remember there being no light in the bogs , so waiting till the end and legging it to the nearby pub and it was closed and ended up in a local spar and offering the fella a tenner to use his bog, he wouldn't accept the money and let me use it ... phew

• And you wonder why less people go to away games ;-)   Good story, and yep you're right re extra time (guess you had good reason to remember it).
  • We got knocked out of the FA Cup on this day five years ago by a League One Forest side.
  • Are there any omens for us in today's history?

7th January

1946: Charlton lost 2-1 to Fulham in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup. They went on to be the only team to reach the final despite losing a game, as the 3rd Round was over 2 legs and Charlton had already won the first leg 3-1.
    1956: Stuart Leary bags a hat trick as Charlton beat Burton Albion 7-0, a club cup record. Billy Kiernan gets two; one after just 90 seconds. Jimmy Gauld and Gordon Hurst score the others.
  • 8th January

1958: 26,637 people visit The Valley for the visit of Huddersfield in a 3rd round cup replay. This was just 2½ weeks after the famous 7-6 victory over The Terriers and the crowd was more than double that game as people hoped to see more of the same (despite it being played at 2pm on a Wednesday). They got a Charlton victory, but it was only 1-0 this time (Ryan).
    1969: 39,404 attend Selhurst Park to see a Ray Treacy brace knock Palace out of the FA Cup.
    2000: Charlton beat QPR in the 4th Round of the FA Cup thanks to Charlie MacDonald.
  • 1969: 39,404 attend Selhurst Park to see a Ray Treacy brace knock Palace out of the FA Cup.

• "John Jackson" in goal for Palace.
  • 9th January

1979: Flash versus Killer
  • 10th January

1956: Sam Bartram plays his last ever game for Charlton who beat Arsenal 2-0 (Gauld 2). At 42 years and 47 days, he is the oldest player to ever play for the first team.
    1998: Charlton 3 Middlesborough 0 (Newton 2, Bright) The crowd, 15,729, was the highest at The Valley for 18 years.
  • 11th January

2003: Beaten at Stamford Beach.
  • Sponsored links:

• 12th January

1975: Richard Rufus born. 323 appearances, 13 goals including one particularly special one!
  • 13th January

1923: The first time that Charlton play in the 1st Round Proper of the FA Cup having progressed through the qualifying and preliminary rounds. They beat Manchester City 2-1 (Goodman, Whalley) away to become only the second team in three seasons to record an away win at Hyde Road.
  • 14th January

1996: Birmingham 3 Charlton 4 (Edwards og, Grant, Robinson, Leaburn). That nice Mr Claridge was subbed at half time.
    2011: Mr Chris Powell appointed as manager.
  • 15th January

1916: Harold Phipps born. Played in over 200 games including 2 FA Cup finals
    1979: Nicky Johns made his debut in the cup replay at Maidstone. Despite a floodlight failure, Charlton won 2-1. Johns went on to make 322 appearances for The Addicks.
    2011: Drew 2-2 with Sheffield Wednesday. Let a 2 goal lead slip at Hillsborough in CP's first match as manager. So, a definite improvement this year!
  • Powell wasn't actually the manager for that 2-2 draw though, was he? He had been appointed as boss but Keith Peacock took charge of the team that day.

Sorry, I'm being picky.
  • I reckon you are right there Epsom. Good shout, cheers.
  • 16th January

1926: Thomas McCrorie played his final game for the Addicks beofre moving to Aberdare.
    1961 (or 1962 if you believe Wikipedia): Garry Nelson born. 222 Appearances, 41 goals and 1 book for Charlton
  • 17th January

1998: Oxford 1 Charlton 2 (Mendonca, Robinson)
    2004: Everton 0 Charlton 1. Graham Stuart scores against his old team. Charlton's 1,600th away match. Stuart's 50th top flight goal.

• edited January 2012
    18th January

1992: From 3-0 down, Charlton beat Newcastle 4-3 at St James' Park. Barness, Walsh (2) and Pardew getting the goals.
  • 19th January

1923: John Vitty born. 2 games; no goals. How many Lifers remember him? ;-)
    1988: Danny Haynes born.
    2010: Charlton 2 Hartlepool 1 (Mooney, Wagstaff)