Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best Support

edited November 2011 in General Charlton
Whats the best Charlton away Crowd, You've been part of ?

Comments

• Options
    Old Trafford . F.A Cup . 10,000 Addicks

"Things can only get better" !!!!
  • Options
    Def old Trafford FA Cup what a day even though we lost 3-1
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Agree with BEDS and THEMCA. How ironic that we sang 'You're worse than Crystal Palace' to the Mancs at halftime as well when it was 0-0 only for them to sing it to us after they went down to ten men and knocked in three as Giggs and Konchelskis ripped us apart down the flanks! Still a great day out though.
  • Options
    One non-stop singing game for us was playing the then Champions Leeds away in the FA cup, a 1-1 draw, I honestly don't think we stopped at all. Good turnout for those times too.
  • Options
    Out of all the away games ive been to probably boro away in qtr final. Just the whole day from getting the train up full of addicks up until they put the game to bed
  • Options
    One non-stop singing game for us was playing the then Champions Leeds away in the FA cup, a 1-1 draw, I honestly don't think we stopped at all. Good turnout for those times too.
    My last game before moving to Prague, it was epic.
    Going way back, Ipswich in the FA Cup, we were in the 3rd division, they were a top team. We took 5,000, it was like the Alamo, and we stood firm for 80 minutes.
    But if I reach deep into the memory banks it has to be the Palace cup tie in 1968, crowd was something like 45,000, of which half was us.Missed the first goal because of the chaos just trying to get in. The whole Holmesdale was Charlton, we were at the other end, slithering in a mudbank, and Ray Treacy finished it with an absolute screamer.
    Interesting that all the games mentioned so far are FA Cup....
  • Options
    edited November 2011

our last game at the 'old' den was pretty special for all sorts of reasons!

• Options
    Leyton Orient away was pretty noisy , i think Shelvey or Bailey scored a late goal?
  • Options
    I remember that Palace cup tie PragueAddick my mate's dad took us over, traffic was a nightmare and we too missed the opening goal. Going back a bit further we had a massive following at Aston Villa 1962 away in the FA Cup 5th round losing 2-1. A young Marvin Hinton kept slide tackling Derek Dougan and had him in his pocket to the annoyance of the Villa fans. It seemed like we had a massive following that day, loads of coaches but at 11 years old 1000 fans would have seemed like 10,000!
  • Options
    After we beat Palace in 1968, we drew Arsenal away. I was sick, so I missed an even more massive Charlton turnout. We lost 2-1 but for years afterwards we sang "took the North Bank Highbury"...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2011

Can't think of just one myself.

Bristol City Fa Cup - Was just as fun after.

Man Utd Fa Cup - As others said, At half time. 

Aston Villa ( Brown in Goal) - Could have had a heart attack that game

M'Boro  Cup - As someone else said the whole day and night in general.

Palace (Kitson and Fat Bird begging at half time)

More Recently .

Leyton Orient  games

Sarfend

Gillingham

Norwich Away (St Georges)

• Options
    We had a large following at a Wimbledon game one Boxing day during the Premiership days. If memory serves me right, we had the whole of the 'half awake' stand at Selhurst that day.
  • Options
    My last game before moving to Prague, it was epic.
    Going way back, Ipswich in the FA Cup, we were in the 3rd division, they were a top team. We took 5,000, it was like the Alamo, and we stood firm for 80 minutes.
    But if I reach deep into the memory banks it has to be the Palace cup tie in 1968, crowd was something like 45,000, of which half was us.Missed the first goal because of the chaos just trying to get in. The whole Holmesdale was Charlton, we were at the other end, slithering in a mudbank, and Ray Treacy finished it with an absolute screamer.
    Interesting that all the games mentioned so far are FA Cup....
    Yes, I remember the Palace game. We took over the Holmesdale Lane end. Fantastic atmosphere and result. All ended up on the pitch afterwards. Went by train and coming home there wasn't much of the train left by the time it pulled into London Bridge. Ahh - happy days :-) I think we visited Henry Irving after that one.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Operation Ewood was very loud.

This cup tie against Palace seems to blow it out the water though!
  • Options

Yeah, Man U will forever live in the memory in terms of sheer numbers.

Hammers (9 second goal) stands out as well in terms of noise and not standing still for more than 5 seconds.

Spuds when we beat em 0-1 when Williams assaulted the keeper to get the ball back.

• Options
    Cov FA cup 2000. 4k of us and what a game.
    Villa 99, boro FA cup, most games at palace.
    recently Southend and even sheff U the other week surprised me as we ain't great up north usually.
    As far as naught followings go, Bolton in the Fa cup 2000 was 'interesting'.
  • Options
    edited November 2011

Arsenal in the cup 68/69 season. to a 11-year old it seemed like the whole crowd was Charlton. I was with my Dad and about 10 of his mates. I spent half the match looking at the thousands of Charlton fans in the NorthBank surrounded by disbelieving Arsenal hoolies. They estimated that there were 17,000 Charlton there in what was Arsenals biggest gate of that season.

Also Wolves in the cup 75/76ish. Gliksten refused to organize a special train as he said we could not fill it. He caved in after a fans protest, in the end we filled two trains and many fans went by scheduled trains as well. There was rumours of around a 100 coaches.

• Options
    Yeah Coventry in the FA Cup was great! And Ipswich away in the 98 Play Offs. Most recently Orient away in 09 was a great night. 
  • Options
     And Ipswich away in the 98 Play Offs.
    Wasn't that one of the first Valley Gold days out? I went to the game in the league where Mendonca went round Richard Wright.
  • Options
    Agree about the Man U and Ipswich FA Cup games. Especially the Ipswich one as a young kid.

The cup games do spring to mind more than the league games though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Coventry away in the fa cup has been one of the best.
  • Options
    Ipswich was about 8k I think.  Couldn't move in the middle section.

Palace away "we'll never play you again" and the poor old palace woman turning round and gesturing for us to quieten down while they were trying to make an announcement about saving the club.  Cue huge increase in noise.  And we won
  • Options

Best away support for me was the play off final at Wembley!!!

Simples

• Options
    The 85 at Grimsby got on Allan Millers nerves
  • Options

Palace away "we'll never play you again" and the poor old palace woman turning round and gesturing for us to quieten down while they were trying to make an announcement about saving the club.  Cue huge increase in noise.  And we won
    Spot on. One of the best moments in my 45 year years of support. 
  • Options
    Not for numbers necessarily but for atmosphere, Man Utd and West ham away were great in the first year up in 86. We were on a roll at that point and after doing west ham 3-1 we were chanting Arsenal, you are next and so on. We lost at Arsenal and then didn't win again for about 10 games but at the time it was fairytale stuff, even if we were playing at Sellout. 
  • Options
    Old Trafford . F.A Cup . 10,000 Addicks "Things can only get better" !!!!
    Agreed Beds, at half time we were actually thinking about winning, imagine!
  • Options

Palace when we won 1-0 under Pardew and even when we only took 1500 there for the Sunday ko were far far far better atmospheres than when we took 8000 there.

Recently Southend and Orient have been good, tomorrow will be good.

I havent been away all season but sounds like things are getting better other than the silly songs.

• Options
    Sheffield United this year was good if you cut the Ched Evans shit out. 

Orient on the Friday last year was good, and agree with Southend on those two games at Selhurst, especially the 1-0 in the Championship
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    5 -12 - 92 wasn't bad.  not an away game but was a "new ground" so counts under Ooh Aah rules.