Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best Support

Comments

• Options
    Man utd in fa cup
    bolton in the cup
    norwich st Georges day
    west ham when we shared with them. no 1 at upton park.
    At the old den night game we had the whole end.
    most of the games against palace.
    southend when curbs got sent to the stands i think it was 1-1.
    There has been many more but these were when we turned out in numbers win lose or draw they were great days out.
  • Options
    Ipswich away in the play-offs, great day out!
  • Options

Having read some of the responses on here Arsenal sounds brilliaint!

i will never forget back in the early 80s back on a train from Bolton some of the older lot telling me about their day at Arsenal that year!

• Options
    Millwall away in the snow. First time we'd beat them for about 247 years I think, or so Millwall workmates told me.
  • Options

Millwall away in the snow. First time we'd beat them for about 247 years I think, or so Millwall workmates told me.

Any time doing that lot is great fella!

• Options

I s it possible to to obtain any footage of this game?

• Options

Especially for you I

• Options

Ipswich FACup

Man Utd FACUP

Millwall sell out at new den should have been aday torember  !

• Options

Having read some of the responses on here Arsenal sounds brilliaint!

i will never forget back in the early 80s back on a train from Bolton some of the older lot telling me about their day at Arsenal that year!

Yes, the Arsenal game was something special. We literally 'took' half of the North Bank (all standing back in those days). Electric. Shame we lost but just being there was something special and Arsenal had a great team back then. This was a 4th round game and it followed the Palace game spoken about above so all in all it was a great year. I seem to remember we narrowly missed promotion that year as well.   
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does anybody remember the coins being thrown, between supporters at the Highbury game there must have been hundreds thrown at us,but they got them back with interest. 
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Does anybody remember the coins being thrown, between supporters at the Highbury game there must have been hundreds thrown at us,but they got them back with interest. 
    Coins, bottles, cans & I seem to remember small wooden "clubs",  like skittles but a bit "dumpier"
  • Options

Yes, the Arsenal game was something special. We literally 'took' half of the North Bank (all standing back in those days). Electric. Shame we lost but just being there was something special and Arsenal had a great team back then. This was a 4th round game and it followed the Palace game spoken about above so all in all it was a great year. I seem to remember we narrowly missed promotion that year as well.   
    Finished 3rd behind Cloughies Derby & palarse by 6 points I think. Home form let us down, 2 defeats & 8 draws I think it was, think away form was pretty good, about 8 wins, can't remember how many defeats
  • Options
    Brilliant picture!
  • Options
    Anyone who went to Derby that year remember the Derby supporter with a dead rat tied in his hair?

Finished 3rd behind Cloughies Derby & palarse by 6 points I think. Home form let us down, 2 defeats & 8 draws I think it was, think away form was pretty good, about 8 wins, can't remember how many defeats

• Options
    west ham when we shared with them. no 1 at upton park
    Vague memories, think we won 1-0? Remember mayhem in the away terrace - Trevor Brooking trying to do a TV broadcast and us completely drowning him out with CHARLTON (amazing grace)
  • Options
    We took the north bank then?
  • Options

Not sure if we 'took' it. Certainly half and half. Charlton always had a good crew back in those days and usually gave a good account of ourselves unless we played Millwall when everyone went awol.  :-)

By the way, I think that was the year Arsenal won the double. 1971?  Not 100% sure about that though.

• Options

Not sure if we 'took' it. Certainly half and half. Charlton always had a good crew back in those days and usually gave a good account of ourselves unless we played Millwall when everyone went awol.  :-)

By the way, I think that was the year Arsenal won the double. 1971?  Not 100% sure about that though.

'68 as far as I recall, I was only a kid but half a dozen of us from Cherry Orchard travelled across London and stayed in the north bank all game ... Massive Charlton numbers
  • Options

Rob,Thanks mate ! sounds a brilliant day by the way!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

'68 as far as I recall, I was only a kid but half a dozen of us from Cherry Orchard travelled across London and stayed in the north bank all game ... Massive Charlton numbers
    stonemuse,Cherry Orchard enough said mate in them days!i also know Middle Park boys and Correlia were to become in to the fold along with Woolwich  and Welling in later days? 
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Tav, a lot of 'future' middle park were at highbury that day
  • Options

Tav, a lot of 'future' middle park were at highbury that day

stonemuse, a lot of my  mates and older lot had  told me about that day,and pals to this day!And were older Eltham lot and Yorkshire Grey and Welcome Inn and Bull Shootershill and Royal Mottingham!My first game ever was at home to spuds around about 77 and i can still remember the talk of the north bank highbury from then.The older chaps that went Charlton games back then  are top brilliant fellas and always i looked up to them and loved our away days and their stories from the past.

• Options
    Lot of Welling boys back in the 70's, we often met over at Danson Park planning away days. A few of the lads went on to become members of the BM from memory around 77/78, one even defected to Millwall which I found a bit disturbing. Arsenal was late January 1969.....Ive got the program still (with colour pics, very posh for those days). I read somewhere in the dim and distant that we had an estimated 16,000 at Highbury, I was quite safe sitting in the seats albeit there was a punch up close by and I remember the fights on the northbank really clearly....the preceeding game at Sellout seemed to be all Charlton, but then again I was only 8.One of my uncles was a bit of a Skin then and regularly travelled away....I remember his cheesecloth shirts, braces levis and DM's makes quite an impression on a young kid. Different world back then.
  • Options
    Lot of Welling boys back in the 70's, we often met over at Danson Park planning away days. A few of the lads went on to become members of the BM from memory around 77/78, one even defected to Millwall which I found a bit disturbing. Arsenal was late January 1969.....Ive got the program still (with colour pics, very posh for those days). I read somewhere in the dim and distant that we had an estimated 16,000 at Highbury, I was quite safe sitting in the seats albeit there was a punch up close by and I remember the fights on the northbank really clearly....the preceeding game at Sellout seemed to be all Charlton, but then again I was only 8.One of my uncles was a bit of a Skin then and regularly travelled away....I remember his cheesecloth shirts, braces levis and DM's makes quite an impression on a young kid. Different world back then.
    Tel,Brilliant fella! 
  • Options
    Im staying with my Mum, whilst being here...We were talking the other night about my teen years and one recollection of hers was when we played Chelsea at The Valley(The bonfires game)...she said she remembers all the boys meeting round at my house, they were so many of us she remembered them sitting on the floor before she bundled us all in to a huge old American station wagon and dropped us near the ground (there were 12 of us in it) I told her what happened to the different characters during and after the game and she wasnt exactly shocked, she also still remembers me coming back from Brighton with a broken snozzle covered in blood and telling me I wasnt going to football anymore.....yeah righto Mum good plan.....
  • Options
    Im staying with my Mum, whilst being here...We were talking the other night about my teen years and one recollection of hers was when we played Chelsea at The Valley(The bonfires game)...she said she remembers all the boys meeting round at my house, they were so many of us she remembered them sitting on the floor before she bundled us all in to a huge old American station wagon and dropped us near the ground (there were 12 of us in it) I told her what happened to the different characters during and after the game and she wasnt exactly shocked, she also still remembers me coming back from Brighton with a broken snozzle covered in blood and telling me I wasnt going to football anymore.....yeah righto Mum good plan.....
    Lol Tel thats brilliant!
  • Options

Hammers (9 second goal) stands out as well in terms of noise and not standing still for more than 5 seconds.

Jimmy Melrose: Charlton legend
  • Options
    All before my time but some cracking posts there.
  • Options
    One of my uncles was a bit of a Skin then and regularly travelled away....I remember his cheesecloth shirts, braces levis and DM's makes quite an impression on a young kid. Different world back then.

Ahh Tel, cheesecloth shirts, remember them well, quite the trend in the Covered End for a while. Remember a bunch of us travelling from Charlton to a Gillingham game, resplendent in boots jeans and showing off new cheesecloth shirts that one of our number had 'appropriated' from a store in Woolwich ... and of course the obligatory silk scarves tied round the wrist.