Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - 19th August 2000. Charlton 4 Man City 0

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
19th August 2000. Charlton Athletic 4 (2) (Hunt 10, Robinson 42, Kinsella 72, Stuart 80 (pen)) Manchester City 0 (0)
The Valley. Att 20,039

Charlton: Kiely, Kishishev, Rufus, Tiler, Powell, Stuart, Kinsella, Jensen (Brown 74), Robinson (Konchesky 86), Lisbie (Newton 81), Hunt. Unused subs: Ilic, Parker.

Man City: Weaver, Edghill, Howey, Prior, Tiatto, Haaland, Wiekens, Horlock (Wright-Phillips 46), Kennedy, Weah, Wanchope. Unused subs: Dickov, Tommy Wright, Whitley, Jobson.

Referee: Rob Harris (Oxford)

Penalty awarded against Weaver for pulling down Kinsella (after Kins gave the lino a finger-wagging to make sure he didn't flag him offside).

Lisbie hit the post and bar.

Charlton's win put them top of the table.

One minutes silence was observed as a mark of respect for Pierre Bolangi, a member of Charlton's youth academy who tragically drowned during a training exercise at Aldershot Barracks on 9th August 2000. RIP.

Comments

• Great game. 4 past Weaver LOL!

RIP Pierre
  • Ten years on. How's your memory?
  • Sunny happy days .........is this the one when kinsella put one in the top corner
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]Sunny happy days .........is this the one when kinsella put one in the top corner

Think so - he got clean through and had time to gesture to the linesman that he wasn't offside whilst on route to goal. Nice reminder that we were champions and not City the previous season.
  • I didn't make it as it was my grandparents golden wedding anniversary, which means tomorrow would have been the diamond. Why couldn't they have got married during the pre-season?
  • [cite]Posted By: HOME & AWAY[/cite]

But Did not Score.... :-)
  • Must have been Jensen and Kishishev's debut game. Back then we had Premier League weather. Outside the Prem it always seems to rain on the first game of the season.
  • Found the full report still in the BBC archives. Nice to give the memory a kick-start......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/887457.stm
  • It was my first day as a fully paid up season ticket holder on my own, my Dad had bought me the ticket after I'd spent every bit of my pocket money for the last 2 seasons on "pay on the day" tickets but if I remember right The Valley held just over 20,000 at that time and we had 18,000 season ticket holders so to go you really had to have one.
    What a day, what a game. We totally dominated them and Kinsella's goal was an absolute stunner.
  • Can't believe this was 10 years ago. Remember it like it was yesterday and makes me feel old! Such a great game and Kins' goal was a corker.
  • Sponsored links:

• Presumably that was Lisbie's first *start* for us as well, given that report keeps mentioning it as his 'debut' (or the reporter had his facts wrong!).

I remember thinking straight away how awesome Claus Jensen was. His touch and vision were first class.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: HOME & AWAY[/cite]

But Did not Score.... :-)
    I remember match of the day going on about his potential after the game!
  • If that was his first start then that is a long time in coming given that he was playing for the first team as a sub back in 1996/97 fairly frequently, I remember him making substitute appearances off the top of my head against Liverpool in the league cup, Reading and Tranmere. I guess it may have been though...
  • And yes Kinsella's goal was superb, he curled it with the outside of his foot into the top corner through a crowded box and past the keeper, there was only a tiny bit of the goal he could hit and he found it. I think it was also Kinsella who got fouled for Graham Stuart's pen (that may have been when he gestured to the lino regarding being offside).
  • I was thinking about that Kinsella goal as he trained the lads before the Bournemouth game.

None of them hit the target in shooting practice, and Kins was laying the ball off. I just wanted him to stop them, sit them down, and show them his opening day goal against City on the big screen. I'm sure he would have, if the screen worked.
  • edited August 2010
    I was there, one of those glorious English August days.
    Weaver's error for Robbo's goal was hilarious.
    I remember thinking before the game that Wanchope would be a handful, did he hit the post?, but apart from that he was crap.
    Kins was excellent and as others have said it was a great goal.
    Very similar feeling to the 5-0 Southampton a couple of years earlier.
  • Very hazy memories, only really remember Kins pointing out he was onside when rampaging through. What a player he was for us in his prime.

If that was Sean Wright Phillips who came on for City, he must have been just breaking through at the time.

Looking back, they had a pretty average team then.
  • Remember it all too well. It was the last game I missed at The Valley, due to a niece's wedding.

I've only missed 6 home games in 38 years - all due to family weddings.

The majority got divorced, which I think is an outrage.

If they make me miss a game, the least they can do is stay together for life.
  • [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    I've only missed 6 home games in 38 years - all due to family weddings.

that's an amazing record
  • I think, due to some terrible oversight, we were on holiday when this match was played. I recall being informed that we were top of the league by another holidaymaker - of course I didn't believe it until I saw it on the OS!
  • Sponsored links:

• What a great day this was eh?
  • CafcAndy said:

Weaver trying to side foot Robinsons shot, what a numpty.

Even knowing full well it's coming, I still burst out laughing whenever I watch that moment back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj6TSOf8Z40 - incase anyone needs their memory refreshing
  • I remember Ipswich away when Weaver was playing for us, he decided to punch a cross instead of catching it like he normally did. He messed it up the first time but the defenders were able to save his blushes. This didn't put him off doing it for a second time which he ended up punching in to his own net! The Weaver what's the score chant at Maine Road in 00/01 were fantastic!

I think Noel Gallagher was in the city end that day.
  • I remember telling my 5 year old son on the way out that it wouldn't always be as good as that. 13 years later he realizes that only too well. Glad to say he is still a dedicated fan though.
  • Bloody hell....we were a good team back then. I forgot how quick Lisbie was too. One for the future.......lol
  • Better times
  • I did enjoy introducing City as last seasons Runners Up and the us as the CHAMPIONS, :-)
  • edited August 2013
    What a performance. Could have been 8 or 9 and Weaver made a few decent saves. Main thing for me is how quickly we attacked. Three or four passes and we went from one penalty area to the other. Good days.
  • That team was classy. Kinsella & Jensen were just superb, and how lively did that 19 year old Kevin Lisbie look?
  • bc_addick said:

I did enjoy introducing City as last seasons Runners Up and the us as the CHAMPIONS, :-)

classic :)