Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MATCH PREVIEW: Shrewsbury Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 14th September 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Shrewsbury Town vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 14th September 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Sebastian Stockbridge

Introduction
Some may argue that the wheels have slightly come off after our impressive start to the season which saw three wins from three games, however since our victory over Bolton Wanderers we've managed to pick up just the one point, with that coming in our last fixture against Rotherham United - Looking at the fixture list on paper, and you could make the argument that four points from the last three opponents is a "good" return - This Saturday we make the trip to Shropshire where we'll face a side who over the last few years, have known how to frustrate us.

The Opposition
Name: Shrewsbury Town (21st) - Manager: Paul Hurst
Ground: The New Meadow
Previous League Result: Wrexham 3-0 Shrewsbury

To demonstrate that "fact", lets go back over the past encounters against our opponents this weekend; Shrewsbury Town - Apart from a 6-0 victory at the Valley, two years ago (Which had completely slipped my mind), this is a clash that usually ends up with tight results, other than that anomaly, there has just been the one game sine 2019 which has seen a side scoring more than a sole goal at either venue, with 1-0 | 0-0 | 1-1 the common result between these sides... It won't be surprising if we're not talking about a classic that'll be remembered for all time come 5pm this Saturday afternoon.

In terms of Shrewsbury's season so far; well they're not going great under Paul Hurst who re-joined the club back in January, they've just the sole win this season, coming against bottom of the table; Leyton Orient, losing their other three League games... However two of those defeats have resulted in 1-0 losses against Stevenage and Huddersfield respectfully, meaning they'll still be tough to break down, and have only lost the single match at the New Meadow; Shrewsbury have scored as many goals as the Addicks this season... Tom Bloxham is their top scorer with 2-goals, yet it should be remembered that Charlton favourite; John Marquis signed for Salop in the summer so will be a threat for our own defence... leaking goals has been the issue for our opponents this Saturday though, having conceded nine already this season, and will be a potential weak link in their setup; Real Madrid they most certainly are not!!

Frustratingly the last time we played away team that had just lost 3-0 at Wrexham... We lost.

Charlton Team News
The Addicks could of course look slightly different to the overall match day squad that faced Rotherham last weekend, for starters we've got a new signing in Dan Potts who took his place on the bench last Saturday, and will be looking to make his Charlton debut this time out - Then you've got the likes of Karoy Anderson and Daniel Kanu who have returned from International Duty without injury, so will equally be competing for a place in the team.

Not to mention we now have Josh Edwards back in training, and Miles Leaburn who'll be wanting to give Nathan Jones a selection headache in the coming weeks and months - This match however will be too soon for the recently injured duo, with Miles running out for the U21s this afternoon.

Mannion
A.Mitchell - Jones - Gillesphey
Ramsay - Coventry - Docherty - Small
Berry
Adahme - Godden

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer - Potts - Watson - A.Campbell - Anderson - Aneke - T.Campbell

Comments

• Great review. Won't be easy despite how poor Shrewsbury have started the season. I am going for an ugly 1-0 win though. Will take that at this early stage. Adahme to break his duck.
  • Shrewsbury Town have failed to win any of their last five league games against Charlton Athletic (D2 L3), scoring just one goal across that stint.

Charlton Athletic have lost just one of their last six away league games against Shrewsbury Town (W3 D2), keeping four clean sheets in that time.

Shrewsbury Town have only won one of their last 12 games in League One (D4 L7), including defeats in five of their last six (W1). Their only win in this run did come in their most recent home game, however, beating Leyton Orient 3-0 last month.

Since losing back-to-back games between February 3rd and 10th, Charlton Athletic have only suffered two defeats in their last 20 matches in League One (W7 D11).

https://www.efl.com/news/2024/september/12/sky-bet-league-one--pre-match-stat-pack/

• We dropped one point at Reading, but had gained two at Wigan. But we have dropped two at home to Rotherham. By my personal aspiration that leaves us one point behind schedule despite the two points a game average. Lose to Shrewsbury and I think that puts us two points behind my aspiration which would then demand winning at home to Blackpool and away at Stevenage. Win at Shrewsbury you get back a one point cushion on the road to automatic promotion.

So Shrewsbury is an almost must win to get back to good habits. Can be a tricky away game that has frequently disappointed in a Shrewsbury late equaliser kind of way. It would be handy to get two goals ahead by the hour mark.

Will be a significant team selection, as will be the team on Tuesday in the silly buggers cup (let alone who features this evening against Leeds United).

I hope we can win 2-0.

• 3-0 Addicks
  • seth plum said:
    We dropped one point at Reading, but had gained two at Wigan. But we have dropped two at home to Rotherham. By my personal aspiration that leaves us one point behind schedule despite the two points a game average. Lose to Shrewsbury and I think that puts us two points behind my aspiration which would then demand winning at home to Blackpool and away at Stevenage. Win at Shrewsbury you get back a one point cushion on the road to automatic promotion.

So Shrewsbury is an almost must win to get back to good habits. Can be a tricky away game that has frequently disappointed in a Shrewsbury late equaliser kind of way. It would be handy to get two goals ahead by the hour mark.

Will be a significant team selection, as will be the team on Tuesday in the silly buggers cup (let alone who features this evening against Leeds United).

I hope we can win 2-0.

I look at it is a similar way but come to a different conclusion. We have had 2 tough away games which a point in each would have been reasonable so I would say we are one point up there. In terms of home games, two of the stronger teams so 7 points from three feels reasonable so I think we are probably a point up. I appreciate a win and a draw equates to the magical 2 points a game, but the toughness of the game should be taken into account. I think by this reasoning, we should be expecting three points on Saturday.
  • Great preview.

A win in Shropshire to take all the points back home leaving us sitting in third by the end of the day. Stockport win at Crawley whilst Barnsley draw at Stevenage.

Two changes to the predicted team above, DK in for Watson on the bench and Allan Campbell makes his first start instead of Berry.

Mannion
    Mitchell Jones Gillesphey 
    Coventry
    Ramsay Docherty A.Campbell Small
    Ahadme Godden

AMB, Potts, Berry, Anderson, TC, Aneke, Kanu

Shrewsbury Town 0-2 Charlton Athletic
    Godden
    Aneke
  • I'd also like to see A Campbell in for Berry. He seems like a great disruptor which is what games like this need. If he isn't fit enough I'd play Anderson
  • Sponsored links:

• Need a decent performance after the last two dull affairs. Cant see us getting a result here either 1-0 defeat.
  • 0-0 draw 
  • seth plum said:
    We dropped one point at Reading, but had gained two at Wigan. But we have dropped two at home to Rotherham. By my personal aspiration that leaves us one point behind schedule despite the two points a game average. Lose to Shrewsbury and I think that puts us two points behind my aspiration which would then demand winning at home to Blackpool and away at Stevenage. Win at Shrewsbury you get back a one point cushion on the road to automatic promotion.

I hope we can win 2-0.

I look at it is a similar way but come to a different conclusion. We have had 2 tough away games which a point in each would have been reasonable so I would say we are one point up there. In terms of home games, two of the stronger teams so 7 points from three feels reasonable so I think we are probably a point up. I appreciate a win and a draw equates to the magical 2 points a game, but the toughness of the game should be taken into account. I think by this reasoning, we should be expecting three points on Saturday.
    I can see your reasoning. We are both after the same thing.
    However is it wise to think of any game as a tough game or an easy game?
    One approach is to assume every game is going to be a tough game, to take each game as it comes, and to acknowledge that each game is a simple 11v11.
    Then win it!
  • a win for us, but as ever, not an easy one.. I'm hoping our strikers live up to their description and break their barren runs .. as said above, we need to win against these smaller but still 'dangerous' clubs if we have any proper prospect of leaving L1 (upwards that is)
  • I've had 2 weddings the past 2 Saturdays so looking forward to sitting in my pants on the sofa watching the mighty addicks, T20 Finals Day, Premier League & The Solheim Cup. Dreamy stuff! 

Charlton, Sussex & Europe win hopefully!

It'll end up being Shrewbury, Surrey, USA, Palace & Millwall wins no doubt!
  • Positions in the league table suggest we should win this but we rarely do.

Will this game be a true marker of our credentials this season, if we can come away with the points?
  • It's a game on paper and by form in the league, that we must consider as winable. However, this being Charlton, 1-1
  • Sponsored links:

• clive said:
    I am surprised that we don't have a better record against Shrewsbury .. a nice neat 11W 11L 11D will not be so neat after tomorrow
  • clive said:
    I am surprised that we don't have a better record against Shrewsbury .. a nice neat 11W 11L 11D will not be so neat after tomorrow
    Still fairly neat if we draw!
  • High energy, low creativity football should be enough against a team from the bottom of the table but it's not going to be pretty..
  • Scoham said:
    clive said:
    Still fairly neat if we draw!
    better when we win
  • edited September 13
    Not listed on William Hill's list of Saturday matches at the time of writing this, which is a nice reminder that we are still an invisible force with some corporate entities.
  • Campbell and Campbell for Berry and Ahadme , please 
  • wmcf123 said:
    Campbell and Campbell for Berry and Ahadme , please 
    Campbell back up front do people watch the games he was dreadful starting up top …. Unchanged team with first choice front two Godden and Ahadme and a 1-2 win for the reds … Referee: Sebastian Stockbridge only been in charge of Charlton match once that was Shrewsbury 0-1 Charlton in 2022 
  • wmcf123 said:
    Campbell and Campbell for Berry and Ahadme , please 
    Campbell back up front do people watch the games he was dreadful starting up top …. Unchanged team with first choice front two Godden and Ahadme and a 1-2 win for the reds … Referee: Sebastian Stockbridge only been in charge of Charlton match once that was Shrewsbury 0-1 Charlton in 2022 
    Not been dreadful, and been better than Ahadme so far 
  • Almost misread the refs name as Sebastian Sainsbury. There's a name from takeover threads of old! 

Shrewsbury always seems to be bogey ground for us, hopefully we can get a convincing win tomorrow.

0-2 Godden and Ramsey.